Are Raleigh cycle computers any good?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Latter, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    Hi,

    I'm considering buying a Raleigh cycle computer via the internet & wonder if anyone has any opinions
    on this make.

    I recently tried a Halfords make but the display went 'blotchy' even before freezing point was
    reached - does anyone know if this is a characteristic of Raleigh computers?

    Thanks in advance,

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
    Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

  2. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I'm considering buying a Raleigh cycle computer via the internet & wonder if anyone has any
    > opinions on this make.
    >
    > I recently tried a Halfords make but the display went 'blotchy' even before freezing point was
    > reached - does anyone know if this is a characteristic of Raleigh computers?

    I bought a sub £10 Raleigh one from John Lewis a few months ago. It's performed faultlessly at
    whatever the temp has got down to at 5am in the South West (certainly below zero a few times) and
    also in torrential rain.

  3. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    "John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm considering buying a Raleigh cycle computer via the internet & wonder if anyone has any
    > opinions on this make.
    >
    > I recently tried a Halfords make but the display went 'blotchy' even before freezing point was
    > reached - does anyone know if this is a characteristic of Raleigh computers?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter

    I have a Raleigh Echo J12 with the cadence sensor. Now nearly six years old and still working fine.

    Paul. 18,000 miles in the car and 3000 on the bike in 2003. Wouldn't it be great if I could halve
    the differential.

  4. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:48:18 -0000, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> I'm considering buying a Raleigh cycle computer via the internet & wonder if anyone has any
    >> opinions on this make.
    >>
    >> I recently tried a Halfords make but the display went 'blotchy' even before freezing point was
    >> reached - does anyone know if this is a characteristic of Raleigh computers?
    >
    >I bought a sub £10 Raleigh one from John Lewis a few months ago. It's performed faultlessly at
    >whatever the temp has got down to at 5am in the South West (certainly below zero a few times) and
    >also in torrential rain.

    Sounds good to me Andy - thankyou for the info!

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
    Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

  5. > I'm considering buying a Raleigh cycle computer via the internet & wonder if anyone has any
    > opinions on this make.

    Bought a Raleigh Echo-W1 wireless a few months ago. Worked fine in sub-zero temperatures and hasn't
    been giving me any of the weird results that others have had with wireless computers. I think the
    technology might have come on a bit in recent years. The screen has been fine.

    It cost me 15 squid from Argos, though Maplins has some for £20 that have a larger display that fits
    more on - no cycling through the display to get the numbers you want. Damn this price creep.

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp also sell Echo computers.

    ~PB

  7. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:12:51 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
    <[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote:

    >> I'm considering buying a Raleigh cycle computer via the internet & wonder if anyone has any
    >> opinions on this make.
    >
    >Bought a Raleigh Echo-W1 wireless a few months ago. Worked fine in sub-zero temperatures and hasn't
    >been giving me any of the weird results that others have had with wireless computers. I think the
    >technology might have come on a bit in recent years. The screen has been fine.
    >
    >It cost me 15 squid from Argos, though Maplins has some for £20 that have a larger display that
    >fits more on - no cycling through the display to get the numbers you want. Damn this price creep.

    Thanks for the info Mark - I had been thinking of getting the Argos one anyway so it's nice to know
    the display isn't affected by cold.

    I did try and find the Maplins one you refer to but all I could find was one for £29.99 that
    included a heartrate function - is that the one you meant?

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
    Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

  8. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:09:22 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp also sell Echo computers.
    >
    >~PB

    Thanks for the link Pete - the wireless one on that site retails for £22.99 so perhaps its a later
    model than that available from Argos.

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
    Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

  9. > I did try and find the Maplins one you refer to but all I could find was one for £29.99 that
    > included a heartrate function - is that the one you meant?

    Erm, I think they had two - one with the monitor and one without. They were in their sale, and still
    were a couple of days ago.

  10. > >www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp also sell Echo computers.

    > Thanks for the link Pete - the wireless one on that site retails for £22.99 so perhaps its a later
    > model than that available from Argos.

    Looks exactly the same as mine, so I guess it's economies of scale that account for the price
    difference. Argos do seem to do things a bit cheaper than most stores.

  11. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:08:15 -0000, "Mark Thompson"
    <[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote:

    >> >www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp also sell Echo computers.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the link Pete - the wireless one on that site retails for £22.99 so perhaps its a
    >> later model than that available from Argos.
    >
    >Looks exactly the same as mine, so I guess it's economies of scale that account for the price
    >difference. Argos do seem to do things a bit cheaper than most stores.

    Er, I didn't think to click on the text link at mwdyason but now that I have I can see that it is
    the same as the Argos one ("ECHO - W1").

    That's quite a difference in price!

    Anyway, I'm not going to bother looking thru Maplins (or monitor ebay) anymore - I've reserved the
    Raleigh one at Argos & will pick it up tomorrow.

    Thanks again Mark (and everyone else who helped!)