Are road pedals compatible with mtn bikes

mcblinn

Nov 3, 2004
This is my first post. Sorry to have to start with such a dumb question. My 2 year old has just decided that she likes the trailer that I bought for her to use last year. I don't want to drag it around with my road bike. Just wanted to know if road pedals were the same diameter as mtn pedals. I'd like to keep riding with the same shoes on both bikes. Thanx in advance for all the help.

Same diameter, as in threading it into the crank arms? Probably will be, assuming it's a modern, name-brand bike, but if it's something old and kinky, odds are slimmer. The bad thing about road pedals is they're typically "one-sided" which can equal bad things on a trail if you have to unclip and clip back in in a hurry.

Thanx a bunch. I'm pretty sure my mtn bike falls under the old and klinky catagory. thanx again.
WP33 said:
Same diameter, as in threading it into the crank arms? Probably will be, assuming it's a modern, name-brand bike, but if it's something old and kinky, odds are slimmer. The bad thing about road pedals is they're typically "one-sided" which can equal bad things on a trail if you have to unclip and clip back in in a hurry.

mcblinn said:
This is my first post. Sorry to have to start with such a dumb question. My 2 year old has just decided that she likes the trailer that I bought for her to use last year. I don't want to drag it around with my road bike. Just wanted to know if road pedals were the same diameter as mtn pedals. I'd like to keep riding with the same shoes on both bikes. Thanx in advance for all the help.
Yes, the pedal thread is the same on all modern cranks. In fact many commuters and urban riders, including myself, do the reverse and use MTB pedals on road bikes because of the easier walkability.

John M said:
Yes, the pedal thread is the same on all modern cranks. In fact many commuters and urban riders, including myself, do the reverse and use MTB pedals on road bikes because of the easier walkability.
same here. Its nice to be able to get off the bike and walk around easier. I also love my MTB shoes, so I bought MTB pedals for my road bike. I get a lot of snickers at club rides, but that might also be due to the 80's teal paint on my Nishiki.

I do the same. Cyclecross shoes are great for commuting, so easy to walk in.