Are roadies snobby?

zperrys

Jun 16, 2004
I've been riding for several years. Mountain Bikes. Road Bikes. It seems that mountain bikers are more friendly on the trail than roadies are on the road.

What do you guys think?

Originally posted by zperrys
I've been riding for several years. Mountain Bikes. Road Bikes. It seems that mountain bikers are more friendly on the trail than roadies are on the road.

What do you guys think?

Well I do alot of mountain biking (its nice to wear baggy shorts for a change!) as well and I think it works both ways. And to be honest i have my days when i am riding hard and i dont speak to anyone, I'm so focused! But its just in the moment, nothing snobby. :D

roadies can't stop & talk, usually bang-up in a peleton or on the watch for rocks, pebbles, glass, sticks, potholes, cracks in the raod & anything which might deflect the front wheel & upend them.
On the trail I see guys who wave as they ride into bushes & rock outcrops.

still its all fun.
Remember, 2 wheels good, 4 wheels bad......

Yes we are. And that's Sir Snobby to you. . .

I know alot of very snooty MTB'ers aswell.

Well I used to be but after months of therapy I have overcome the snobbery and I am now absolutely perfect in every way.And don't you forget it! Perfect!!!

What do you guys think?
That would have to definitely be a resounding yes !!! As an aside, mountainbikers don't use perf. enhancing drugs ( or shave thier legs for that matter as long as we're on the topic ) I love road bikes but i have reservations about many "roadbikers" i have encountered & seen in various media ntrvws.:rolleyes: Lastly, as far as i can c, road bikes generally cost more than mountainbikes, hence roadbikers generally have more $ 2 spend= higher income=higher arrogance/ snobbery ratio.

Originally posted by davidmc
That would have to definitely be a resounding yes !!! As an aside, mountainbikers don't use perf. enhancing drugs ( or shave thier legs for that matter as long as we're on the topic ) I love road bikes but i have reservations about many "roadbikers" i have encountered & seen in various media ntrvws.:rolleyes: Lastly, as far as i can c, road bikes generally cost more than mountainbikes, hence roadbikers generally have more $ 2 spend= higher income=higher arrogance/ snobbery ratio.

I don't know about that. I love to ride, and ride every chance I get. I don't shave my legs (though I have in the past), since I'm not racing this year. Is that it? :)

Some of the posts suggest that roadies training don't have time to socialize. Maybe a wave? I've seen motorcyclists do it. Maybe they're not suffering so much :).

Well, about the cost of the bike.... I dropped $2100 US on my road bike because I wanted a sweet ride. But I still give a wave at the passers-by.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about this.

I don't know about that. I love to ride, and ride every chance I get. I don't shave my legs (though I have in the past), since I'm not racing this year. Is that it? :)

Some of the posts suggest that roadies training don't have time to socialize. Maybe a wave? I've seen motorcyclists do it. Maybe they're not suffering so much :).

Well, about the cost of the bike.... I dropped $2100 US on my road bike because I wanted a sweet ride. But I still give a wave at the passers-by.

I'm just wondering what you guys think about this.

Obviously, it's the leg shaving that's causing the problem.....now how come I can manage to keep things in check without turning into a nasty person...??

Originally posted by Brunswick_kate
Obviously, it's the leg shaving that's causing the problem.....now how come I can manage to keep things in check without turning into a nasty person...??

Dang it! That's it! I KNEW it! I'm shaving my legs tonight! :)

Originally posted by Brunswick_kate
Wax mate...it's the far more civilized approach.

Yes, but my wife has NOTHING good to say about it (but continues to do it). My Gillette Mach 3 Turbo has served me well in the past, and will again, no doubt!

Shave on!

Yes, but my wife has NOTHING good to say about it (but continues to do it). My Gillette Mach 3 Turbo has served me well in the past, and will again, no doubt!

Shave on!

Proving, of course, that I'm too lazy to be a proper roadie...couldn't be bothered with the daily hassle of shaving. It must be why I stick to the hybrid and commute as opposed to race. :D

Totally. Enjoy your commute, but depending on how long it is, carry a first aid kit. The main reason for shaving is to mitigate the risk of infection from long rides (hair has all KINDS of nasty germs clinging to them).

BTW - you don't need to shave every day. When I was shaving my legs for racing, I shaved twice a week. I can't stress the Gillette Mach 3 Turbo enough (no, I don't work for Gillette, but I'm thinking about it ;-)).

What do you guys think?

It is accepted, to me, at least, that cyclists are part of a fraternity, which includes others who exercise, like joggers and walkers. I wave, nod, or somehow acknowledge others. I usually get acknowledgement in return. In fact, I have nodding acquaintances with numerous people in my area for two years. I even have an flirtatious relationship with a woman jogger several years my junior. (Yes, I'm bragging!)

However, when I was riding my Trek Navigator, many roadies would not return my waves or nods. Some would actually look at me, then look away, as if me and my Navigator were trash!

So, when I got my Lemond Zurich, I thought that would end. Nope, a few are just pure snobs who refuse to acknowledge other riders. I don't care, I continue to wave anyway!

Roadies may have a (slightly) higher snob ratio than MTBers but i always give a friendly wave or the "aussie nod" to atleast acknowledge a fellow exerciser when i ride past, be it a walker, runner, cyclist etc.

It all revolves around the time of day.

Most people who are up doing any form of exercise at 6am will throw a friendly nod to anyone else, and this includes the ****** people falling out of the pub after watching Euro 2004.

It goes downhill after that

Don´t know about America but here a cyclist is a cyclist : when you can you chat , say hi , wave etc AND stop to give aid what ever type of bike you ride .

ps US MTB riders have been caught taking drugs just as US roadies have so don´t be so " holy´er than thou " .

I can't really generalize. Like it's been said, it depends on the person, the time of day, their mood when they pass..yaddy yadda yadda.

I recently went riding alone and when I was stopped for a break, a group of about 15 roadies went by. As they flew around the corner, a country road with some loose rocks near the gravel shoulder, the first few waved and said hi, but some others were just focused on what was ahead...understandable.

Can't say I always wanna look up and say hi just cause someone's there. It is, however, always nice to see someone acknowledge you. If they say hi, great! If not, I'll see them some other time...I'll live.

Same with roadies as it is with MTBs as it is with runners as it is with old couple birdwatching as it is with anyone as it is with......

Originally posted by el Inglés
Don´t know about America but here a cyclist is a cyclist : when you can you chat , say hi , wave etc AND stop to give aid what ever type of bike you ride .

ps US MTB riders have been caught taking drugs just as US roadies have so don´t be so " holy´er than thou " .

PS. MTB riders and roadies from many different countries ( not just the U.S.) have been caught juicing so don't be so "Holier than thou."

Originally posted by davidmc

Think "roadies" are snobs? Try being a lone "roadie" in a pack of mountain bikers. It goes both ways.

There is a reason for the initial "snobbery", that being the wave of mountain racers who heard in the mid 1990's of road riding being excellent training. Seems like many racers on the dirt were not training for base miles, prefering to hammer-rest-hammer-rest, interval training. These racers were being bested by roadies due to training. So mountain bikers picked up the road bikes and went training on the road, frequently with much more experienced riders. The ensuing carnage on TRAINING rides made the road riders wary of their unshaven, hydration pack toting fellow riders. And some "roadies" were snobs.

I have witnessed many crossed wheels, bent frames, broken collarbones and ribs from such rides. The typical mountain biker does not do well when shoulder bumping, wheel taps and the like happen and the over reaction is what causes problems. The ability to ride fast is more important in this group than the skills necessary to ride fast in a pack.

But, the new roadie who shows up to club rides is usually treated well. Group rides can be more difficult but eventually, you may enter the circle of fellowship. Its all a matter of TRUST. If you cannot trust the rider to your front or side, your performance and comfort are sacraficed. This is the bane of the "roadie".