Are roadies snobby?

Originally posted by Weisse Luft
Think "roadies" are snobs? Try being a lone "roadie" in a pack of mountain bikers. It goes both ways.

There is a reason for the initial "snobbery", that being the wave of mountain racers who heard in the mid 1990's of road riding being excellent training. Seems like many racers on the dirt were not training for base miles, prefering to hammer-rest-hammer-rest, interval training. These racers were being bested by roadies due to training. So mountain bikers picked up the road bikes and went training on the road, frequently with much more experienced riders. The ensuing carnage on TRAINING rides made the road riders wary of their unshaven, hydration pack toting fellow riders. And some "roadies" were snobs.

I have witnessed many crossed wheels, bent frames, broken collarbones and ribs from such rides. The typical mountain biker does not do well when shoulder bumping, wheel taps and the like happen and the over reaction is what causes problems. The ability to ride fast is more important in this group than the skills necessary to ride fast in a pack.

But, the new roadie who shows up to club rides is usually treated well. Group rides can be more difficult but eventually, you may enter the circle of fellowship. Its all a matter of TRUST. If you cannot trust the rider to your front or side, your performance and comfort are sacraficed. This is the bane of the "roadie".
I do not wish to generalize any group but some of the roadies i have encountered or who blew by me w/o so much as a nod gave me a negative impression. I'm sure there are competitive mountainbikers who fit that bill but seeing as i live in wash dc i hav'nt ever encountered any of them. All of what you say makes sense.

I don't judge other whole groups of people.

I try to be nice and friendly to everyone who passes while I'm on the bike. I feel like I'm an ambassador for my sport. (even to cars!) So I hope that others are nice to me in return, it almost always works!

As far as roadies having more money, I've known two pros who had to live out of their cars for a while - not too glamorous!

Roadies are more snobs than MTB's...I have no idea why. You can find this out for yourself just go into any good bike shop that deals in both high end road bikes as well as high end mountain bikes. Chances are you'll see some roadie there with not one ounce of fat on him and tell stories of having a average ride of 28mph. Or how they want to replace there FSA crank with a FSA team crank to save 6 grams or whatever. :)

I agree, I saw some pampered 20 something w/ perfect, white choppers [teeth] &, no doubt ,a platinum credit card come in & say- " hey, show me you're most expensive road bike" (taking up my time) then he just stared at it 4 a nanosecond & walked out. What a "JA" !!! I hope he was'nt a biker rather, just a "poser" :cool:

Stiff Upper Lip said:
Sounds like a case of the retail blues....you shoulda sold da guy...Coffees for closers!
People in my city (Both Burlington and Waterloo) generally ALWAYS wave! It's wonderful! Makes all roadies feel connected as if they were a team. Keep up the acknowledgment guys! Really, we appreciate it!

where i live it is pretty hilly...i am an mtb'er and there is nothing i love more than to race and unsuspecting roadie up the long twisting hills. I'll blast him away usually....til we get to the flat part then i'm f'cked. But i usually turn of into a field before they catch up.

wipes the smug smile off thier face..

MountainPro said:
where i live it is pretty hilly...i am an mtb'er and there is nothing i love more than to race and unsuspecting roadie up the long twisting hills. I'll blast him away usually....til we get to the flat part then i'm f'cked. But i usually turn of into a field before they catch up.

wipes the smug smile off thier face..

where i live it is pretty hilly...i am a roadie and there is nothing i love more than to race and unsuspecting mtb'r up the long twisting hills. I'll blast him away usually....LOL! I love whipping past a mtb'er on my roadie.

wipes the smug smile off their face..

origanic said:
where i live it is pretty hilly...i am a roadie and there is nothing i love more than to race and unsuspecting mtb'r up the long twisting hills. I'll blast him away usually....LOL! I love whipping past a mtb'er on my roadie.

see you out on the road some day treacle and we'll see...:D

nah, i'm talking about the fat rich guy that spends £3,000 on the latest Trek and thinks he's the bees knees. He's got all the Armstrong gear and instantly turns into an ****'ole. See a mtb'er and accellerates towards you....

bye bye fatty....

origanic said:

What's the BFD. :confused: Passing a MTB on a RB is not something I'd boast about seeing as how un-difficult it is. :rolleyes:

Stiff Upper Lip said:
Sounds like a case of the retail blues....you shoulda sold da guy...Coffees for closers!
Judging from your post's I can't nail down whether you are a "roadie" or a "MT Biker" but you appear to posses a high enough snobbery quotient, after perusing your reactionary post's. Come up w/ something original once in a while, maybe you will do you're signature (Wilde) justice. Just a helpful hint, no thanks needed. :)

:eek:

I was purely joking! I'm in fact a mountain biker who rode 2 seasons (the past 2 years) , but this season swopped over to being a roadie :D
Am I apprearing to be a snob...? :confused:

origanic said:
:eek:

I was purely joking! I'm in fact a mountainer biker who rode 2 seasons, but this season swopped over to being a roadie :D
I'm not a snob... :confused:
I was replying to stiffupperlip's two comments on page two. Check 'em out. They're both reactionary, just replies to me; no independent thought. Look at my post, you will see that it's a reply to that person.

origanic said:
OH! :D Thank gosh!
Heard a radio segment relating to Canada, today & the representative was a very well spoken, articulate spokesperson for Canada. Very level-headed & informative. Heard it on c-span radio station (non-profit) I like Canada :D

zperrys said:
I've been riding for several years. Mountain Bikes. Road Bikes. It seems that mountain bikers are more friendly on the trail than roadies are on the road.

What do you guys think?
Mtbers are less 'elitist' and are more down to earth decent people. You can whip yer tackle out in front of your mtb mates and not see then run off shouting '****!' .

Salt of the earth.

'Course, there are exeptions to every rule. I know some right arrogant little arses that ride mtbs in endurance such as polaris and the like. Too afraid to drink a pint of ale with thier mates incase they get a beer belly.

So do I. Other cyclists usually wave at me too. You get a lot of different levels out there in the countryside - some seasoned veterans who go really fast and more relaxed, older riders.
The problem with road cycling (and I don't mean in this in an offensive sense) is it strikes me as a kind of middle-class sport, still very much dominated by the French, Italians and Spanish. There are a lot of unexpressed cavalier rules you're supposed to follow.
What strikes me as especially odd (don't know about anyone else) but cycling doesn't seem to have hardly any black athletes. I mean, you get black boxers, black marathon runners or sprinters and black basketball players e.t.c. But it seems black cyclists are rare. Or have I got it wrong?

drewjc said:
Roadies may have a (slightly) higher snob ratio than MTBers but i always give a friendly wave or the "aussie nod" to atleast acknowledge a fellow exerciser when i ride past, be it a walker, runner, cyclist etc.

Carrera said:
I mean, you get black boxers, black marathon runners or sprinters and black basketball players e.t.c. But it seems black cyclists are rare. Or have I got it wrong?
This has always puzzled me also. People of African origin are good at endurance sports such as marathon running etc. I have seen very few black bike riders in my locality or on the TV in pro races. Cant think of an explanation for this unless its a cultural thing, but thats a stab in the dark.

Wasnt there a black rider start the 2004 TDF?