Are roadies snobby?

MountainPro said:
This has always puzzled me also. People of African origin are good at endurance sports such as marathon running etc. I have seen very few black bike riders in my locality or on the TV in pro races. Cant think of an explanation for this unless its a cultural thing, but thats a stab in the dark.

Wasnt there a black rider start the 2004 TDF?
He was the black (green) boardman on the back of the motorbike giving out time differences to the riders. He was from Burkina- Faso where two ex French profs got involved sme years ago in the promotion a Tour in the Country. The honour was given to him to recognise the efforts made in the promotion of cycling of his Country, and hopefully to encourage bike racing to Africa.

I was standing outside a bakery with my bike some days ago and a young black guy approached me. My bike's a bright yellow carrera and always catches attention. This guy asks me if it's O.K. for him to look at my bike so I said, sure go ahead.
Then he explains he came over as a refugee, has a bum job doing cheap labour somewhere but would love a bike like mine. He told me he had gone round various bike shops but found nothing within his price range. So, I shared that my bike only cost me 200 pounds second hand and told him to look in the papers for a bargain.
Well, this guy turns out to be a former champion of his country (I forget which African country he's from). At any rate, now we're going on a ride at some point and I imagine the guy will kill me.
But I think it's good how people of different colours, creeds and beliefs can find something in common where sport's concerned. In my area there's no end of black runners and sprinters but I just find it so odd there's not a black cyclists to be seen - which isn't good for cycling since there are so many talented black athletes in other sports.

MountainPro said:
This has always puzzled me also. People of African origin are good at endurance sports such as marathon running etc. I have seen very few black bike riders in my locality or on the TV in pro races. Cant think of an explanation for this unless its a cultural thing, but thats a stab in the dark.

Wasnt there a black rider start the 2004 TDF?

drewjc said:
Roadies may have a (slightly) higher snob ratio than MTBers but i always give a friendly wave or the "aussie nod" to atleast acknowledge a fellow exerciser when i ride past, be it a walker, runner, cyclist etc.

G'Day drewjc, Once upon a time there was?

In the dark days of crispy bacon just after the war, everybody used to acknowledge everybody else on the road whether he was a Racer, Tourer, or just some poor sod commuting to work and back. The main reason was because it was the way people did things in those days, it was known as manners, something that a lot of parents do not teach their children today in a dog eat dog world of keeping up with the joneses'. Shame EH!

However with the modern way we conduct ourselves it is almost taboo to give a nod or a wave, to someone else going the otherway. If you come up to a slower rider it is just beneath you to say gooday, just ride by and say nothing otherwise you might have to slow you frantic pace to engage in conversation. shame EH!

It is the way modern society is going unfortunately, while out walking (Something I also Do) I will acknowledge somone no matter who they are just to get them to say something in return, some grunt, some actually say hello and pass the time of day. However there are those who point blank refuse to say a dicky bird, scared they will be attacked or something paranoid like that. Shame EH!

Mind you all this changes if you look the part and frequent the right places and people recognise you as being important enough to say hello too, it's definitely the snob value. As I said shame EH!

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unless it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC

FredC said:
He was the black (green) boardman on the back of the motorbike giving out time differences to the riders. He was from Burkina- Faso where two ex French profs got involved sme years ago in the promotion a Tour in the Country. The honour was given to him to recognise the efforts made in the promotion of cycling of his Country, and hopefully to encourage bike racing to Africa.

G'day all, The question about not seeeing many Black African Riders, depends upon where you look. As Fredc mentioned Burkina-Faso, I watch the SBS edition of the race each year,(well, for the last two years) it is one of the toughest races anywhere.

If you saw the type of roads they race on you would shudder, pot holes the size of twenty litre cans, dust and **** everywhere, they have to contend with not only heat, but cars, truck and all sorts of hazards that would stop "Le Tour" dead in it's tracks. It is of course gaining popularity with many European and Pacific Rim country's riders competeing there, having said that I was told by a local source supposedly in the know, that it was struggling to stay alive, which is a shame!

That is a pity because seeing the hard way they race they would and do give a lot of Europeans and Pan-Pac riders a good run for their money. The white guys don't have all the answers either?

Now if you look at the "Tour of Langkawi" they may not be as black skinned as the Africans, but there are a majority of well tanned gents aboard those bikes. That is also a tough race too, there, in that tour the heat being the biggest killer, riding up mountain in 36C heat with 95% humidity definately saps the strenght of the fitest athletes, even riding along the flat does it too?

Just an observation, no matter what colour, bike riding is bike riding, the more the merrier in my humble opinion, you just need to know where to look?

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back unless, it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC

Brian Cotgrove said:
G'Day drewjc, Once upon a time there was?

In the dark days of crispy bacon just after the war, everybody used to acknowledge everybody else on the road whether he was a Racer, Tourer, or just some poor sod commuting to work and back. The main reason was because it was the way people did things in those days, it was known as manners, something that a lot of parents do not teach their children today in a dog eat dog world of keeping up with the joneses'. Shame EH!

However with the modern way we conduct ourselves it is almost taboo to give a nod or a wave, to someone else going the otherway. If you come up to a slower rider it is just beneath you to say gooday, just ride by and say nothing otherwise you might have to slow you frantic pace to engage in conversation. shame EH!

It is the way modern society is going unfortunately, while out walking (Something I also Do) I will acknowledge somone no matter who they are just to get them to say something in return, some grunt, some actually say hello and pass the time of day. However there are those who point blank refuse to say a dicky bird, scared they will be attacked or something paranoid like that. Shame EH!

Mind you all this changes if you look the part and frequent the right places and people recognise you as being important enough to say hello too, it's definitely the snob value. As I said shame EH!

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back, unless it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC
Agree, I don't care if someone is riding a 25 kg Huffy. It's not what you ride it's that you ride. The trail is for everyone, not just people w/ Ti, Carbon, or handmade bikes.