Are Rudy Project Shades Suitable For Riding

Robert Nurse

Guest
Hi All,

I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
eyewear.

Thanks

Robert Nurse wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> eyewear.

They sponsor our club (although I wear Brikos FWIW). AFAIK they are
designed for cycling.

Robert Nurse wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> eyewear.

So long as the lenses aren't made of glass or anything that'll break into
killer shards when dropped, then they should be fine.

I wear eyeglasses because I need them to see. They have polycarbonate
lenses, and they suit me fine. (If I didn't wear glasses, I guess I could
still ride a bike, but it would probably have to be on a velodrome).

-Luigi

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Robert Nurse wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> eyewear.
>
> Thanks

Rudy Project's eyewear is carried by some high-end road bike dealers
here in Sweden; quite a few people including myself use it. I myself use
the Rydon glasses, with three different lens pairs, depending on weather
and light. They are easily swapped. Lenses appear to be shatterproof
though luckily I haven't crashed to test this yet. On the Rydon - and
probably some other models - it is possible to put in a clip-in frame
that holds prescription lenses. What's good about them (Rydon) is that
they sit high enough that one does not end up peering at or above the
top edge of the frame. This indicates to me that they were designed
specifically for sports such as road riding and x-c skiing.

I like mine very much, even if Rudy Project hasn't given me any
financial incentive to say that to you or anyone else.

/Robert

[email protected] (Robert Nurse) wrote:

>have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
>specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
>eyewear.

They are great choice for riding. I have Kerosene model.

[email protected] (Robert Nurse) writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness"
> factor with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site
> and they have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made
> for riding specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as
> protective eyewear.

IIRC some guy named Jan Ullrich wears them. Damned butt-ugly things,
too. But perhaps they have some that look better than the ones he
wears.

"Robert Nurse" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> eyewear.
>
> Thanks

I am not saying it's the only brand worth buying. But - the Rudy Project
shades I bought recently to wear for the first time during the Ötztaler
Radmarathon in Tyrol last Sunday, were worth every euro.I bought the
Kerosene version with changeable lenses - and I got yellow for grey weather
/ twilight - and smoke coloured for bright sun. (For the day long mountain
ride I chose the yellow glasses.)

But most important they protect your eyes from wind and insects.

They are designed to let your body damp blow away from the inside of the
lenses.

My only problem was, that this build in ventilation did not function on the
steepest hills (17 %) when I was really boiling AND going very slow at the
same time. Then I had to take off the shades till I gained speed again. I
don't know if other ventilation designs work on slower speed - but the
steepness of these climbs was extreme - and rare to most people.

The Kerosene model fit me comfortably. It is made of very durable and
flexible material.

To a man my age the looks are maybe a bit too cool, as if I want to appear
younger than I am. But what the hell - the quality of the product is
definitely all right. It should be at that price.

Ivar of Denmark

I scratched a lens on my Rudy's recently and I remembered seeing something about Rudy Project's free replacement lenses. I contacted the dealer and sure enough for a resonable handling/postage fee they will replace the lenses. You can't ask for more than that!

The frames are light and fit well. The interchangeable lenses are very easy to swap out (Much, much easier than Oakley's M Frames - not that I don't like Oakleys... some brilliant designs). The high end ones are a little expensive... you can buy a low end MTB for the same price.

I luv 'em.

My riding partner has two pair of PR Mooves. He likes them very much. I am
prdering a pair on Tuesday.
$149.99 complete at performancebike.com

news:[email protected]...

$149.99 complete at performancebike.com

"Robert Nurse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> eyewear.
>
> Thanks

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:09:38 GMT, "Monty" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My riding partner has two pair of PR Mooves. He likes them very much. I am
>prdering a pair on Tuesday.
>$149.99 complete at performancebike.com
>
>"Robert Nurse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
>> with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
>> have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
>> specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
>> eyewear.
>>
>> Thanks

Here is an outfit selling Rudy Project's, some at 50% off:

http://www.miamishades.com/rudyproject.html

[email protected] (Robert Nurse) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> eyewear.

Be sure to only wear sunglasses marketing for cycling use when you ride.
I rode in the era when riders either didn't wear any eye protection or
at best dime store sunglasses. The results were not pretty, most of us
are either dead or blind because of our earlier folly. We simply didn't
know any better. Until Greg Lemond wore Oakleys in the TdF none of
would even consider spending $50 on a pair of sunglasses so we were all
sitting ducks for every eye approaching projectile.

Good luck with your eyes
--
Bruce Jackson

Bruce Jackson wrote:

> [email protected] (Robert Nurse) wrote:
>
> > I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> > with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> > have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> > specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> > eyewear.

> Be sure to only wear sunglasses marketing for cycling use when you ride.
> I rode in the era when riders either didn't wear any eye protection or
> at best dime store sunglasses. The results were not pretty, most of us
> are either dead or blind because of our earlier folly. We simply didn't
> know any better. Until Greg Lemond wore Oakleys in the TdF none of
> would even consider spending $50 on a pair of sunglasses so we were all
> sitting ducks for every eye approaching projectile.

Oh thank you so much, you have saved me from blindness or worse. Tell
me, do I have to buy Oakleys, or will Bolle or Maui Jim be OK as long as
they cost >$50? Please answer quickly as I don't want to ride until
this is settled.

> Good luck with your eyes

Again, thankyouthankyouthankyou.

--
Cheers,
Bev

[email protected] (Robert Nurse) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi All,
>
> I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> eyewear.
>
> Thanks

Rudy Project sponsors Jan Ulrich et al. in the pro peloton. So they
would love it if you bought their glasses to ride.

Andy

"amh" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Robert Nurse) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi All,
> >
> >> Rudy Project sponsors Jan Ulrich et al. in the pro peloton. So they

> would love it if you bought their glasses to ride.

Jan is a poor example to style yourself after, he's too big boned
to be a good cyclist and is a bit on the German side, especially in
the early season before he gets his miles in.

Guys like Daniele Balestri over on team ICET and me are examples
of how to wear Rudys correctly while on the bike.

You really should check yourself out and make the decision that
cycling just may not be your sport.

"Bruce Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Robert Nurse) wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> > I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness"

factor
> > with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and

they
> > have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for

riding
> > specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as

protective
> > eyewear.

> Be sure to only wear sunglasses marketing for cycling use when you

ride.
> I rode in the era when riders either didn't wear any eye protection

or
> at best dime store sunglasses. The results were not pretty, most

of us
> are either dead or blind because of our earlier folly. We simply

didn't
> know any better. Until Greg Lemond wore Oakleys in the TdF none of
> would even consider spending $50 on a pair of sunglasses so we were

all
> sitting ducks for every eye approaching projectile.

The trouble is, on the internet, you never can tell whether someone
is being ironic or not.

I rode in that era too. Everyone know that you shouldn't wear
sunglasses, because then you couldn't catch they eye of drivers,
which makes it rather easier to merge with other traffic. Maybe we
can blame Oakley on the idea so prevelant nowadays that it's
impossible to ride on a street with any other traffic

Jeremy Parker

Oh, you're preaching to the choir. I'm always hearing the ping of
insects or other debris off my current eyeware when I ride. Trust me,
I don't ride without my shades!

[email protected] (Bruce Jackson) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Robert Nurse) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > I just bought a new bike and I want to increase the "coolness" factor
> > with some nice shades :). I went to the Rudy Project site and they
> > have some nice offerings. But I'm wondering are these made for riding
> > specifically or are they durable/safe enough to serve as protective
> > eyewear.

> Be sure to only wear sunglasses marketing for cycling use when you ride.
> I rode in the era when riders either didn't wear any eye protection or
> at best dime store sunglasses. The results were not pretty, most of us
> are either dead or blind because of our earlier folly. We simply didn't
> know any better. Until Greg Lemond wore Oakleys in the TdF none of
> would even consider spending $50 on a pair of sunglasses so we were all
> sitting ducks for every eye approaching projectile.
>
> Good luck with your eyes

Oh man! Those prices are pretty good. Miamishades is offering my
selection (Ekynox) at $80 vs $119 elsewhere!!

On 14 Sep 2004 09:29:22 -0700, [email protected] (Robert Nurse) wrote:

>Oh man! Those prices are pretty good. Miamishades is offering my
>selection (Ekynox) at $80 vs $119 elsewhere!!

Do those come with a set of three lenses? If so which color lenses? The
blue one doesn't really look out blue does it?

-B