Are shorty-shorts gay?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Aug 4, 2005.

  1. I frequently run wearing shorts with a slit on the side that shows off
    my greater trochanter.
    I sense people looking at me and sometimes I see them laughing. I am in
    southern cal, and people are very conservative in their dress here. I
    think they assume I am gay.
    I got the same vibe when I wore a speedo to the beach. I am from
    canada, and speedos are socially acceptable there.
    Should straight men only wear long shorts? I don't like them because
    they mess up my suntan.

    Tags:

  2. I'm for it!

    I'm for it! Guest

    >I frequently run wearing shorts with a slit on the side that shows off my greater trochanter. I sense people looking at me and sometimes I see them laughing. I am in
    southern cal, and people are very conservative in their dress here. I
    think they assume I am gay.>

    But you are, so wussup wit dat?

    >I got the same vibe when I wore a speedo to the beach. I am from canada,>

    I thought everyone from canada was gay? Something to do with the beer?

    >and speedos are socially acceptable there.>

    Here they are gay.

    >Should straight men only wear long shorts?>

    Yes.

    >I don't like them because they mess up my suntan.>

    See, you are gay.

  3. Lets take votes. Gay, or not gay.
    I vote gay.

    On 4 Aug 2005 13:52:54 -0700, "I'm for it!" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I frequently run wearing shorts with a slit on the side that shows off my greater trochanter. I sense people looking at me and sometimes I see them laughing. I am in

    >southern cal, and people are very conservative in their dress here. I
    >think they assume I am gay.>
    >
    >But you are, so wussup wit dat?
    >
    >>I got the same vibe when I wore a speedo to the beach. I am from canada,>

    >I thought everyone from canada was gay? Something to do with the beer?
    >
    >>and speedos are socially acceptable there.>

    >Here they are gay.
    >
    >>Should straight men only wear long shorts?>

    >Yes.
    >
    >>I don't like them because they mess up my suntan.>

    >See, you are gay.

    TBR
    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  4. Straight men (I'm one) should strive to be cultured and liberated, not
    stupid hicks. Men should stop pissing on fire hydrants to prove their
    masculinity. I say this in theory, but, then again, I'm not a big fan
    of the speedo. Why? I don't need to see winky--too revealing--but where
    form is essential, such as in the pool or during any competition, it
    would be very immature and unimpressive to snicker. Short running
    shorts are not this revealing in the first place, however.

  5. [email protected] wrote:
    > Should straight men only wear long shorts?

    Straight men who don't mind provoking stares or comments should feel
    free to wear split shorts. Men of any orientation who risk more than a
    stare or a comment by wearing split shorts in their communities should
    move somewhere civilized.

    Running the streets of Brooklyn, NY, in shoes, socks, and split shorts
    (no shirt), I receive an average of one negative comment (e.g some
    variation on "fag" or "put some f'in clothes on") per hour, and one
    positive comment (most recently, a ~30 y.o. woman outside a bar
    sprinted to get near me and tried to grab my ass while commenting
    favorably on my anatomy) every 10 hours.

    Where are you in southern CA? I'm fairly ignorant of your corner of
    the country, but am mildly surprised short shorts merit so much notice
    there.

    P.S. You may *think* you're a straight man, but have you met TBR? I
    used to think of myself as straight... I'm just sayin', he's a damn
    fine looking hunk of manhood.

  6. TheVicar

    TheVicar Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I frequently run wearing shorts with a slit on the side that shows off
    > my greater trochanter.
    > I sense people looking at me and sometimes I see them laughing. I am in
    > southern cal, and people are very conservative in their dress here. I
    > think they assume I am gay.
    > I got the same vibe when I wore a speedo to the beach. I am from
    > canada, and speedos are socially acceptable there.
    > Should straight men only wear long shorts? I don't like them because
    > they mess up my suntan.

    The only thing more gay than short shorts is asking if short shorts are
    gay...oh...and worrying about your sun tan...that's pretty gay too.

  7. TheVicar

    TheVicar Guest

  8. > I receive an average of one negative comment (e.g some
    variation on "fag" or "put some f'in clothes on") per hour,
    ----

    funny cp. i wear 2" inseam shorts, some split, some v-notch. how
    long you been running your route in your community? i've been running
    seriously again for about 4-5 years. believe me...i've heard it all.
    as the years have gone by, the "digs" have subsided to pretty much nil.
    nothing but admiration, respect, and thumbs up, even from the
    knuckle-head teenagers.

    sure gay guys check me out in my shorts. who cares. sfw....."chicks
    dig the shorts"...hahahahaha.....and that's the bottom line.

  9. On 4 Aug 2005 14:29:27 -0700, "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Straight men

    But you're neither a man, nor straight. So why are you giving advice?

    TBR
    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  10. On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 17:55:41 -0400, "TheVicar" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"The Bill Rodgers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Lets take votes. Gay, or not gay.
    >> I vote gay.

    >He's as queer as the chimp.

    Nobodys THAT queer (except Tony Blair)

    TBR
    White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
    "Anyone with degrees from Yale and Harvard is presumed to be intelligent,
    but George W. Bush has managed to overcome that presumption."

  11. Steve Hansen

    Steve Hansen Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Should straight men only wear long shorts? I don't like them because
    > they mess up my suntan.

    Worrying about what you look like, at all, is not typical of
    heterosexual men. Most straight men wear whatever the
    wife/girlfriend tells them to wear. And most straight men don't
    worry about their tan. And, when straight men do think about how
    they look, they seem to get it wrong. Are you sure you're not gay?

    Functional running shorts should allow free movement of the legs and
    hips, with no binding or chafing. Split shorts would seem to fit
    that description. Winners are usually the ones who do whatever it
    takes to perform well, and don't worry about what it looks like.
    Losers are usually the ones who want to look good, and don't think
    about performance.

    (I have often wondered how the young people can function, at all,
    with "shorts" that are down past their knees, and with using one
    hand to hold up their loose, oversized pants. I put most of those
    kids in the category of "losers".)

    In any event, the styles do seem to be going away from oversized
    shorts, and back toward more functional clothing. Maybe you can
    help that trend along.

    Steve

  12. [email protected] wrote:
    > i wear 2" inseam shorts, some split, some v-notch. how long you
    > been running your route in your community? [...] as the years
    > have gone by, the "digs" have subsided [...] nothing but admiration

    LA, there's probably a few factors at work here:

    [a] You're more physically imposing than I - from your photos,
    "halfback" sounds about right. I look about like a 5'9" recreational
    runner who likes to eat. Although nobody anywhere said anything when I
    had a fu-manchu - look potentially crazy and people give you wide berth
    everywhere.

    While I have a couple common routes, I don't have *a* route - nor
    for that matter a very precise schedule - and my long runs especially
    can and have gone to every corner of Brooklyn (and quite a few corners
    of Queens and Manhattan). So it's a fresh audience much of the time.

    [c] Cultural differences: Brooklyn and Manhattan are each too diverse
    to say "the difference between them is X" but surely my audience
    differs from those in your stomping grounds. The differences between
    nearby neighborhoods here alone is huge. You get different types and
    amounts of comments in the various nearby projects vs. the
    self-congratulatory yuppie ass-clowns of Park Slope vs. Williamsburg
    Hasidim vs. Sheepshead Bay Russian teens vs. Sunset Park latins or
    Chinese vs. some fairly desolate areas in East New York or Bushwick vs.
    the block with the mosque and all the muslim stores down the street.
    And here in Brooklyn we have a lot more cars from which many of the
    comments issue.

    Some negative comments are from guys who are themselves so insecure
    they're drowning in "queer fear", some seem to be from folks with
    conservative ideas of dress coming from their religion (usually
    Christian, if they're saying something out loud... butt hey, I'm just
    "turning the other cheek" in my shorty splits!), some from teens who
    need to impress their posse, and maybe some folks just resent the
    relatively fit guy or the secure enough to be out like that guy or
    maybe even the white guy running through their neighborhood, for
    whatever their reasons.

  13. TheVicar

    TheVicar Guest

    "Charlie Pendejo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > Some negative comments are from guys who are themselves so insecure
    > they're drowning in "queer fear", some seem to be from folks with
    > conservative ideas of dress coming from their religion (usually
    > Christian, if they're saying something out loud... butt hey, I'm just
    > "turning the other cheek" in my shorty splits!), some from teens who
    > need to impress their posse, and maybe some folks just resent the
    > relatively fit guy or the secure enough to be out like that guy or
    > maybe even the white guy running through their neighborhood, for
    > whatever their reasons.

    dude, put on some "decent" shorts. you look like a kweeah.

  14. Yet another example of why Canada can never be considered a world power.

  15. This entire argument, gay vs not, is very passe,
    attributable to a former generation,
    now rather old and tired.

  16. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    Only for people insecure in their identity.

    The habit in my area to wear over-the-knee
    basketball shorts. I saw a cross country
    team training in hundred degree heat this
    way and they sure looked uncomfortable.

    Baby boomer types still prefer the 70s style
    minimal athletic clothes. OK for for sports,
    but kind of gross for leisure wear in shopping
    malls and coffee houses etc. Old skin is not
    attractive.

  17. "Yet another example of why Canada
    Can never be considered
    A world power."
    ~ Miss High Con

    "... well, she is a dog,
    Afterall."
    ~ Folly

  18. rick++ wrote:
    > Only for people insecure in their identity.
    >
    > The habit in my area to wear over-the-knee
    > basketball shorts. I saw a cross country
    > team training in hundred degree heat this
    > way and they sure looked uncomfortable.
    >
    > Baby boomer types still prefer the 70s style
    > minimal athletic clothes. OK for for sports,
    > but kind of gross for leisure wear in shopping
    > malls and coffee houses etc. Old skin is not
    > attractive.

    It depends on which babe the "old skin" is on.