Are Sidi Bike Shoes Really Worth It.?

Jul 6, 2015
Going on a long bike tour.
. Most of their shoes run 2 to 3 times more expensive than Scott's, Pearl Izumi , or Shimano's . Are they really that much more comfortable. ? Or is a shoe a shoe, except for their marketing.

Which Sidi shoe is your goal?
If you're worried about outgrowing the shoe, why spend so much $?
Let those whom have more $ to spend -- be the lucky ones to have it.

It's a shoe, so fit trumps all other considerations. Various makers cut their shoes slightly differently, some wider some narrower, with variation in arch height and toe room. Some people find some brands fit better than others, so the most comfortable shoe may not be the one that's "best", aka most expensive.

With shoes, it starts with fit, and that can vary significantly between models in brand as well as between brands. After that, it's features and style.

I see quite a few old Sidi shoes worn by local riders that ride lots of miles every year. They seem to last a long time. They are mostly similar to Genius road shoes or Dominator mtb shoes, not the pricey wire shoes. I've had mine 2 1/2 years so far, and aside from a few minor scuffs, they look and feel like new.

The Dominator insoles are pretty thin and minimal. I got some aftermarket insoles with interchangeable arch supports.

I liked my Shimano shoes that I got at a very good price on closeout. But the soles cracked after about 3 or 4 years.

I think it depends if you have wide feet, then their wide versions are worth it, otherwise no. I own a pair, but they are the wide version, do I like them? yes, but if I had regular feet I can like any shoe as long as it fits. I happen to get mine on a closeout sale at the LBS so they were comparable to other shoes in price so I didn't wince much.

I have a pair of Sidi Genius 5 Pro Carbon and love them They fit me good which is the important thing. Funny thing is I went to my LBS to try on a pair of Louis Garneau and they did not have my size. The owner had only pair of cycling shoes in stock (that were any good) that would fit me and they were the Sidi's. He said don't worry, he would give me a deal on them since I wasn't looking for that pair.

Anyhoo......I loved them, he marked them down 20 percent and gave me a 10 percent military discount as well.

I do not wear Sidi but I think that they are a very good shoe. There's a lot of good shoes out there (with some really big price tags too!). I have tried inumerable pairs of shoes and finally found one that fit my foot properly. Price becomes a non issue when it comes to comfort, especially if you want to ride long. Sidi, Fizik, Giro, Lake, Bont, Northwave, Specialized....lots of good shoes out there. Are the prices worth it? Fit and quality come with a price tag. But sometimes you can find a deal!

thepieeatingjay said:
I see quite a few old Sidi shoes worn by local riders that ride lots of miles every year. They seem to last a long time. They are mostly similar to Genius road shoes or Dominator mtb shoes, not the pricey wire shoes. I've had mine 2 1/2 years so far, and aside from a few minor scuffs, they look and feel like new.
A couple of decades ago, Sidi arguably made the best shoes that fit most US riders' feet reasonably well. I bought my first Sidis around 1981, tried a pair of Diadoras a few years later, and got another pair of Sidis around 1990.

My guess is that most of those riders in 10-20 year-old Sidis just haven't thought about replacing their shoes, so they haven't been shopping lately. Shoe shopping usually happens when they find they need new cleats and can't remove the old ones because the bolt heads are rounded off or packed tight with sand.

Sidi makes excellent shoes. So do a lot of other companies. Let fit be your guide.

Quote by OBC:
"Let fit be your guide."

I would perhaps refine that to, "Let comfort be your guide.". Especially in a touring shoe. And it may be just semantics because comfort is generally derived from a good fit.

The fit has to be just right. Snug, but not tight. Adjustable for some swelling or flattening of the foot. A footbed that supports the sole of the foot. A toe box that is shaped to accommodate the toes. A heel cup that helps control movement of the shoe on the foot without irritating the Achilles tendon. Etc.

That said, most Sidi's are great shoes for 'some' folks. Worth the price? For those riders, heck yeah. But, if they don't fit, aren't comfortable or you just don't like the styling...there's about 20+ other brands that will provide you with comfort.

I've not noticed Sidi's marketing as being over the top. Their price schedule, on the other hand, trends toward the high end pretty low in their lineup so they do stack up as more expensive than most of their competition. You can buy last year's models and closeouts at a good discount if you know your size and have the time to shop around for a few weeks.

oldbobcat said:
Shoe shopping usually happens when they find they need new cleats and can't remove the old ones because the bolt heads are rounded off or packed tight with sand.
You can cut the bolt heads with something, like a small angle grinder, and create a slot for a screwdriver.

I've got a pair with replaceable soles, and I'm very happy with them.
The soles are much grippier than on any of my other shoes, and, being replaceable at a reasonable cost, I've been able to keep these shoes far longer than I usually do.

Volnix said:
You can cut the bolt heads with something, like a small angle grinder, and create a slot for a screwdriver.
Yeah, but my point was that if you have to do this to remove the cleats, you're probably due for some new shoes.

I never drop major coin on shoes unless it is customized for my feet and I absolutely need them. If you got the money and you take your sport seriously, then why not. Then again, it's all about comfort and healthy feet, not brand names and vanity.

Have a pair of Sidi mtb shoes. Purchased them off of www.shopgoodwill.com for 15.00. Price notwithstanding they're my favorite shoes.

They are very comfortable and durable.They are a good choice for road bike. They are also manufacturers of specific cycling shoes for women. I think most people prefer Sidi shoes. For professional cyclists, a pair of Sidi shoes is really not a bad investment.

You have to take in consideration that like any shoe bought and used, it is going to take a few days or weeks to break them in so that it conforms to your feet, movement, and weight displacement. There is no such thing as a shoe that is perfect the second that you put on. No way. I use to compete in other sports and I always fell back to me old pair of shoes when it comes to competition. It was part superstition, but it was contoured to my feet after years of competing in them.