Are some wheels stronger than others ?

gorris1

Mar 11, 2005
I'm asking this after a friend has had some problems with his rear wheel.
He weighs in at just over 20 stone ( 300 lb ) :eek: and bought an mtb six weeks ago & during the last 3 weeks he's had to have spokes replaced twice. Two spokes each time. :(
He asked me if he needs stronger wheels but I thought they were all standard strengths.
Perhaps one of you gents can help ?

Regards....... Gary.

gorris1 said:
He weighs in at just over 20 stone ( 300 lb ) :eek: and bought an mtb six weeks ago & during the last 3 weeks he's had to have spokes replaced twice. Two spokes each time. :(
He asked me if he needs stronger wheels but I thought they were all standard strengths.

Regards....... Gary.
There is an almost infinite number of hub/rim/spoke combinations and some will be orders of magnitude stronger than others. Hand-built wheels are not cheap but your heavy friend should invest in a pair. The builder will be able to recommend the most suitable hubs, rims and spokes once he knows what sort of riding your friend does.

Don Shipp said:
There is an almost infinite number of hub/rim/spoke combinations and some will be orders of magnitude stronger than others. Hand-built wheels are not cheap but your heavy friend should invest in a pair. The builder will be able to recommend the most suitable hubs, rims and spokes once he knows what sort of riding your friend does.
Many thanks Don,
I've just spoken to Rob ( Heavy Friend ) & he is in our Lbs right now ordering a hand-built rear wheel. ( £130 :eek: )

Regards..... Gary.

gorris1 said:

Regards....... Gary.
According to the Technical Mavic site they rate their rims as low as 85 kg and as high as 125 kg.
If your friend can get a 36 or 40 spoke Velocity Deep V rim well built with Sapim Strong, Wheelsmith Downhill, or DT Alpine III 13/14 or 13/15/14 spokes that are properly tensioned and stress relieved, he will have much more riding time and spend less money in the long run.