Are Speedhubs incompatible with rear racks?

Duncan Smith

Guest
This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
eyelets.

I really need panniers, but don't like the wobble you get with seat
post only mounted racks.

Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
some new eyelets, etc. that may help?

Many thanks,

Duncan

Duncan Smith wrote:
> This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
> to see if it's common

http://www.bikefix.co.uk/index.php?...98&get_ol_id=2&get_gl_id=13&get_sgl_id=37#a13
rather suggests not...

> the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
> weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
> eyelets.

> Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
> some new eyelets, etc. that may help?

The eyelets for racks etc. are typically called "braze-ons", and there's
a clue in the name! I imagine it'll be a bit of a faff though, as
you'll need a frame builder and some paintwork doing too.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Duncan Smith wrote:
> This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
> to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
> weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
> eyelets.

Must be your frame or LBS.
SJS's Speedhub equipped ready to roll bikes have racks.

> I really need panniers, but don't like the wobble you get with seat
> post only mounted racks.
>
> Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
> some new eyelets, etc. that may help?

Simple crude effective solution is some P-clips wrapped around frame near
the hub. Don't look too elegant, and can scuff up the paint badly.

It ought to be possible to get to the rack mounts somehow, even if it means
making up a small bracket.

Worst case is getting someone to fix some new eyelets, though that means
re-painting the frame (at least the rear stays).

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On Mar 12, 1:36 pm, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Duncan Smith wrote:
> > This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
> > to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
> > weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
> > eyelets.

> Must be your frame or LBS.
> SJS's Speedhub equipped ready to roll bikes have racks.
>
> > I really need panniers, but don't like the wobble you get with seat
> > post only mounted racks.

> > Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
> > some new eyelets, etc. that may help?

> Simple crude effective solution is some P-clips wrapped around frame near
> the hub.  Don't look too elegant, and can scuff up the paint badly.

I did this once using plastic-coated p-clips. Worked a treat,
although this was for commuting loads rather than full touring.

On Mar 12, 1:36 pm, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Duncan Smith wrote:
> > This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
> > to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
> > weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
> > eyelets.

> Must be your frame or LBS.
> SJS's Speedhub equipped ready to roll bikes have racks.

Maybe it is a question of whether the frame has rholoff dropouts.
SJSC Ravens do. The Pompino doesn't and needs a torque arm which
might foul more braze-ons. New braze-ons would probably be the most
elegant solution

best wishes
james

Duncan Smith wrote:
> This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
> to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
> weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
> eyelets.

It doesn't, the Rohloff hub will allways clear the forward eyelet. But
both eyelets are threaded, so there is nothing to stop you from bolting
on a rack with a suitable (not too long) bolt.

Oldfashioned mudguardbolts with a nut on the inside won't work though

> I really need panniers, but don't like the wobble you get with seat
> post only mounted racks.
>
> Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
> some new eyelets, etc. that may help?

Try a shop which doesn't display such a dramatic incompetence?

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

Might be worth looking at the "Old man mountain" racks. Check out their USA
site http://www.oldmanmountain.com/
and Carradice's http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-attachments/index.html
as they import them into the UK.
They claim to fit "any" bike.

"Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
> to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
> weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
> eyelets.
>
> I really need panniers, but don't like the wobble you get with seat
> post only mounted racks.
>
> Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
> some new eyelets, etc. that may help?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Duncan

In article <[email protected]>, Steve W
[email protected] says...
> "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
> > to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
> > weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
> > eyelets.
> >
> > I really need panniers, but don't like the wobble you get with seat
> > post only mounted racks.
> >
> > Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
> > some new eyelets, etc. that may help?
> >

> Might be worth looking at the "Old man mountain" racks. Check out their USA
> site http://www.oldmanmountain.com/
> and Carradice's http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-attachments/index.html
> as they import them into the UK.
> They claim to fit "any" bike.

Why bother when he has a perfectly good rack already, and only needs a
couple of P-clips to fit it?

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mar 12, 1:36 pm, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Duncan Smith wrote:
>>> This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
>>> to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
>>> weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
>>> eyelets.

>> Must be your frame or LBS.
>> SJS's Speedhub equipped ready to roll bikes have racks.

> Maybe it is a question of whether the frame has rholoff dropouts.
> SJSC Ravens do. The Pompino doesn't and needs a torque arm which
> might foul more braze-ons. New braze-ons would probably be the most
> elegant solution

The torquearm is all inside the frame and below the chainstay. The rear
opening horizontal dropout has two 6mm thick eyelets more or less in a
conventional position. I've got plenty of Pompino's, Inbreds (same
dropout), racks and Rohloff hubs around and can't imagine what the
problem is, if it is not the bikeshop

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

> The torquearm is all inside the frame and below the chainstay. The rear
> opening horizontal dropout has two 6mm thick eyelets more or less in a
> conventional position. I've got plenty of Pompino's, Inbreds (same
> dropout), racks and Rohloff hubs around and can't imagine what the
> problem is, if it is not the bikeshop
>
> --

Cheers guys, reckon they probably ran out of patience - it may be just
about possible - but the combination of external click box, vega rack
and sks guard stays make it pretty cramped, not a job I'm looking
forward to...

....besides, it's looking so good without I'm tempted to put up with a
ruck-sack and a wet behind for a while :)

Steve W wrote:

> "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
>> to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
>> weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
>> eyelets.
>>
>> I really need panniers, but don't like the wobble you get with seat
>> post only mounted racks.
>>
>> Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
>> some new eyelets, etc. that may help?

> Might be worth looking at the "Old man mountain" racks. Check out

their USA
> site http://www.oldmanmountain.com/
> and Carradice's

http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-attachments/index.html
> as they import them into the UK.
> They claim to fit "any" bike.

In this case as the bike has perfectly servicable eyelets i would
recommend the Redrock or the Whiterock. The Sherpa/Coldsprings are
probably not a good idea with horizontal drops, assumming you have a qr
Rohloff instead of the one with the solid axle

--

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Steve W
> [email protected] says...
>> "Duncan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> This is likely a characteristic of my frame (Pompino) but I'll check
>>> to see if it's common; the LBS have fitted my Speedhub now, but
>>> weren't able to re-fit the rack as the hub covers both sets of
>>> eyelets.
>>>
>>> I really need panniers, but don't like the wobble you get with seat
>>> post only mounted racks.
>>>
>>> Are there any other solutions, nut and bolt job fittings, welding on
>>> some new eyelets, etc. that may help?
>>>

>> Might be worth looking at the "Old man mountain" racks. Check out their USA
>> site http://www.oldmanmountain.com/
>> and Carradice's http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and-attachments/index.html
>> as they import them into the UK.
>> They claim to fit "any" bike.
>>

> Why bother when he has a perfectly good rack already, and only needs a
> couple of P-clips to fit it?

why bother with P-clips, here is a Pompino dropout with Tubus rack and
rohloff: www.m-gineering.nl/roh-drop.jpg

Tell me where the problem is

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

> > Why bother when he has a perfectly good rack already, and only needs a
> > couple of P-clips to fit it?

> why bother with P-clips, here is a Pompino dropout with Tubus rack and
> rohloff:www.m-gineering.nl/roh-drop.jpg
>
> Tell me where the problem is

Just that there's no external click-box on that one, the click box
looks like it can get in the way a bit. You're right though, the
second braze on is free - so I reckon with a little effort it
shouldn't be too difficult - I'll a go myself.

Thanks for the help.

In article <[email protected]>, M-gineering
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley wrote:

> > Why bother when he has a perfectly good rack already, and only needs a
> > couple of P-clips to fit it?

> why bother with P-clips, here is a Pompino dropout with Tubus rack and
> rohloff: www.m-gineering.nl/roh-drop.jpg
>
> Tell me where the problem is

It was a generic sort of suggestion - I'm not familiar this particular
setup, so it's jolly helpful that you are. :)

Duncan Smith wrote:
>>> Why bother when he has a perfectly good rack already, and only needs a
>>> couple of P-clips to fit it?

>> why bother with P-clips, here is a Pompino dropout with Tubus rack and
>> rohloff:www.m-gineering.nl/roh-drop.jpg
>>
>> Tell me where the problem is
>>

> Just that there's no external click-box on that one, the click box
> looks like it can get in the way a bit. You're right though, the
> second braze on is free - so I reckon with a little effort it
> shouldn't be too difficult - I'll a go myself.
>
> Thanks for the help.

You can rotate the clickbox extension with 30 degree increments to a
position where it doesn't interfere. The clickbox itself can rotate 180
degrees. See the 130(!) page manual