Are the 2 countries making/giving name to SCOTT bikes?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bigbananabike, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

I see in PEZ cycling news they have an interview with a guy from Scott bikes & say they're Swiss made and yet whenever I see Scott bikes they're SCOTT USA.
    Two countries bikes with the same name or is someone confused?:eek:

Tags:

2. sideshow_bob

sideshow_bob New Member

Just to add to the confusion, all the Scott carbon bikes I'm aware of are made in Asia. Not that that is bad.

--brett

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

Mostly made 'offshore', in Asia. I believe Scott is a European company, with Scott USA as a part.

4. gemship

gemship New Member

I actually had a 07 Scott catalog that went in to detail about their carbon technology. One of the inset pictures showed a group of asian men in a organized factory setting with the oven/press equipment used in the process of constructing their frames. I believe it was in Tiawan and the tooling really looked impressive.

5. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

6. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

7. jmocallaghan

jmocallaghan New Member

Scott USA = cycling, skiing, goggles, etc. Scott USA bikes started to slide down hill in late 80s. Shifted their market to Europe where they were taking off

Scott = Scott USA (combined)

Scott produces their frames in China and Taiwan. Pretty good frames actually.

8. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

+1. Thanks to OBC for posting the link to this informative report.

9. gemship

gemship New Member

One who reads that page can most likely presume that the Asians have become expert carbon fiber bike builders.

I quoted this part about Waterford from the article:
    "Marc is now one of the most respected bike designers in the entire bicycle industry. And Waterford, with a one hundred year heritage in bicycle manufacturing, continues to make a winning, world class frames one at a time."

No doubt their frame's are great and probably the greatest thing being that one can have one made to personally fit. I think the one hundred year heritage part to be laid on kinda thick despite the fact that Marc was once a Schwinn employee. Not really picking on Waterford but you can kind a tell the bike preference of the auther writing all this stuff up.

Pretty effin hard to have everything made in the USA, I mean components, wheels, ect. besides the frame.