Are the classic's less exciting these days...................

Charles Hizark

Guest
A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race sponsors were
having problems getting some sponsors.

Well after watching some of the classics I think I know one of the
reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they are missing something
with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan, No
Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that cycling is a
spectacle and needs Panache...ie excitement. Now I can certainly
understand why the Lance and others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am
glad too see that the cobbled sections has been re-introduced into the
TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling has changed
things for the better.

"Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race sponsors were
> having problems getting some sponsors.
>
> Well after watching some of the classics I think I know one of the
> reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they are missing something
> with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan, No
> Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that cycling is a
> spectacle and needs Panache...ie excitement. Now I can certainly
> understand why the Lance and others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am
> glad too see that the cobbled sections has been re-introduced into the
> TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling has changed
> things for the better.

Hoste, Hincappie, Vandenbrooke, Van Petegem and three dozen other
musclebound strongmen don't have enough "panache" for you? So instead you
want some guy who couldn't sprint his way out of a three legged race, a fat
man who goes fast in one race a year and an Italian whose greatest claim to
fame is that he wins a Giro when there's no one else in shape?

In article <[email protected]>, Tom
Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race sponsors were
> > having problems getting some sponsors.
> >
> > Well after watching some of the classics I think I know one of the
> > reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they are missing something
> > with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan, No
> > Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that cycling is a
> > spectacle and needs Panache...ie excitement. Now I can certainly
> > understand why the Lance and others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am
> > glad too see that the cobbled sections has been re-introduced into the
> > TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling has changed
> > things for the better.

> Hoste, Hincappie, Vandenbrooke, Van Petegem and three dozen other
> musclebound strongmen don't have enough "panache" for you? So instead you
> want some guy who couldn't sprint his way out of a three legged race, a fat
> man who goes fast in one race a year and an Italian whose greatest claim to
> fame is that he wins a Giro when there's no one else in shape?

Tom,
Charles is speaking from the "everyman" point of view that doesn't
follow pro bike racing close enough to know about anyone other than a
few big names. Eventually he may learn why there are so many contenders
in the Classics who are not the same guys who will contend in the grand
tours.

Rebellin?! Show of hands...Who picked him to win from that group of 6
riders?

-WG

> A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race sponsors
were
> having problems getting some sponsors.
>
> Well after watching some of the classics I think I know one of the
> reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they are missing

something
> with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan, No
> Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that cycling is a
> spectacle and needs Panache...ie excitement. Now I can certainly
> understand why the Lance and others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am
> glad too see that the cobbled sections has been re-introduced into

the
> TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling has changed
> things for the better.

I think the lack of excitement this year also has to do with the good
weather. With bad weather, like rain in P-R, hard winds etc., it's
much more spectacular to watch and it doesn't make much difference
who's riding. Maybe we can blame global warming for the lack of the
typical spring and fall storms and rain what makes the classics more
interesting.

"Charles Hizark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race sponsors

were
> having problems getting some sponsors.
>
> Well after watching some of the classics I think I know one of the
> reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they are missing

something
> with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan, No
> Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that cycling is a
> spectacle and needs Panache...ie excitement. Now I can certainly
> understand why the Lance and others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am
> glad too see that the cobbled sections has been re-introduced into

the
> TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling has changed
> things for the better.

"Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race sponsors

> were
> > having problems getting some sponsors.
> >
> > Well after watching some of the classics I think I know one of the
> > reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they are missing

> something
> > with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan, No
> > Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that cycling is a
> > spectacle and needs Panache...ie excitement. Now I can certainly
> > understand why the Lance and others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am
> > glad too see that the cobbled sections has been re-introduced into

> the
> > TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling has changed
> > things for the better.

> I think the lack of excitement this year also has to do with the good
> weather. With bad weather, like rain in P-R, hard winds etc., it's
> much more spectacular to watch and it doesn't make much difference
> who's riding. Maybe we can blame global warming for the lack of the
> typical spring and fall storms and rain what makes the classics more
> interesting.

Lack of excitement? Milan-San Remo once again had the sprinting-climbers
attack and try and get away. They didn't and it came down to a double world
champion, a 4-time MSR winner and the worlds best sprinter in a showdown.
Yes, very boring. From where I was standing on the Paterberg and Bosberg,
it was extremely windy all day during the RVV (and wet and cold at the
beginning). Hincapie just said on PezCycling that all the favorites were
blown by the end because the race was so hard. All the favorites reached
the Muur together, the best cobbled classics guy who had yet to win a
classic at that time, jumps clear. Bettini went clear of his group over the
top of the Bosberg but couldn't catch the break. Weseman was an immensely
deserving winner. Going back through 1992 at least, there were no RVVs run
in very wet conditions. Paris-Roubaix was run in dry conditions, not as
dramatic on TV, but the winner of 3 of cycling's 5 Monuments (Tafi) prefers
it that way. Who are we to argue? In the last 25 km, we had Bonnen and
Hincapie clear and getting caught. On the Carrefour de L'Arbre, Museeuw led
Weseman at the front of the race with PVP in solo pursuit. Boring? Amstel
Gold had 5 stars in a final break of 6 (Kessler ain't so bad either).
Boring. I think this year proves, once again, why April is the greatest
month of the year.
-Mike

[email protected] (Charles Hizark) schreibt
news:<[email protected]>...
> A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race sponsors were
> having problems getting some sponsors.
>
> Well after watching some of the classics I think I know one of the
> reasons why....!!!

Maybe it's the economy.
Maybe it's the war.
Maybe it's the doping scandals.
Maybe it's really nothing at all, just a lull, as things go in cycles
(no pun intended.)

I find the classics riveting. I can't watch them live, I can't even
get OLN because my lousy local cable cabal have conspired against the
village I live in. I do manage to follow the live updates on CN and
enjoy those quite a bit. I wish I had the vacation time and a few
bucks to rub together to go see a few of these in person. Maybe next
year.

> Rebellin?! Show of hands...Who picked him to win from that group of 6
> riders?

more so who would have picked him for a back to back?

"Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Lack of excitement? Milan-San Remo once again had the sprinting-climbers
> attack and try and get away. They didn't and it came down to a double world
> champion, a 4-time MSR winner and the worlds best sprinter in a showdown.
> Yes, very boring. From where I was standing on the Paterberg and Bosberg,
> it was extremely windy all day during the RVV (and wet and cold at the
> beginning). Hincapie just said on PezCycling that all the favorites were
> blown by the end because the race was so hard. All the favorites reached
> the Muur together, the best cobbled classics guy who had yet to win a
> classic at that time, jumps clear. Bettini went clear of his group over the
> top of the Bosberg but couldn't catch the break. Weseman was an immensely
> deserving winner. Going back through 1992 at least, there were no RVVs run
> in very wet conditions. Paris-Roubaix was run in dry conditions, not as
> dramatic on TV, but the winner of 3 of cycling's 5 Monuments (Tafi) prefers
> it that way. Who are we to argue? In the last 25 km, we had Bonnen and
> Hincapie clear and getting caught. On the Carrefour de L'Arbre, Museeuw led
> Weseman at the front of the race with PVP in solo pursuit. Boring? Amstel
> Gold had 5 stars in a final break of 6 (Kessler ain't so bad either).
> Boring. I think this year proves, once again, why April is the greatest
> month of the year.

The classics are really the only thing about April I do like...
everything else, like the last month of classes, the allergies, the
unpredictable weather, the taxes, I can take or leave. The Arenberg
Forest alone redeemed that, somewhat... what beautiful, fairy-tale
scenery, and what dreadful, frightening racing.

-Sonarrat.