Are the UCI the new IOC ?

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) has been put under the spotlight by a report that claims the world cycling body was paid to help get track cycling's keirin event on the Olympic program in 1996.

The BBC reported on its website that it possesses documents which "reveal a series of substantial payments to the UCI, which began just two months after the keirin was accepted into the Olympics in December 1996.”

The report, which was denied by a top Japanese official, claims that $3 million was "paid by organizers of a Japanese cycling event to the UCI - the world cycling body.”

A former top official with the UCI, Denmark's Henrik Elmgreen, said it was widely known that the keirin, which in 1992 was in danger of being dropped from the UCI's world championship program, was pushed through thanks to money.

"We must admit that when they came (into the Olympics) it was because the Japanese were very influential in the UCI and they offered a lot of money in order to promote this discipline," he is reported as saying on the BBC. "You can to a certain extent say they bought their way in but on the other hand it is a spectacular discipline.

"Everybody knew the Japanese were supporting the (UCI) World Cup series and were supporting everything and I think everybody realized that they weren't doing it for nothing,” Elmgreen added. "They wanted something in return and everybody knew what they got in return."

When asked to substantiate the claims by the BBC, a top Japanese cycling official identified only as Mr. Koramasu categorically denied any deal having ever taken place.

The UCI is corrupt. Well Duh!

Doesn't mean the keiren isn't a great event. Best race to watch at the Worlds IMO, followed by the madison and scratch race.

When I win the lottery, I think I will try to get Big Wheel racing in the olympics. I loved my Big Wheel. Just wish that the front wheel had more traction.

Malkmus said:
When I win the lottery, I think I will try to get Big Wheel racing in the olympics. I loved my Big Wheel. Just wish that the front wheel had more traction.
make it a dowhill event, then it would be really cool.

Malkmus said:
How about my Green Machine, will you let rear steering cycles in?:D