Are there any American made bikes?

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Consider buying a GUNNAR . very good. just do it [/COLOR]
12.jpg

If the current administration needs a boost of foreign moneys to keep itself afloat it will sell out the American auto industry to the Chinese in a heart-beat.

God BLESS you, sir! God bless you! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

okhealthy said:
Consider buying a GUNNAR  . very good. just do it 
12.jpg
 [/URL]
Do you work for Gunnar, or do you just post so you can ***** for the link in your posts?

Since the talk has turned from manufacturers to small, custom builders...

I highly recommend the following:

Albert Eisentraut...wonderful riding frames for the racer. http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Eisentraut_main.htm

Tom Kellogg, now Spectrum...skill and craftsmanship defined. http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/index.php

There was Pete Weigle, Jim Redcay, Ben Serotta, Richard Sachs and Adam Eldridge of Stanridge in Ohio.

Mike Melton passed away over a year ago, but built fantastic racing bicycles.

American frames always were and still are among the very best you can buy. Anywhere. At any price.

How could I forget Matt Assenmacher...beautiful frames.

Quintana Roo appears to be all Tri stuff nowadays, but once upon a time...good road racers.

I did think outside the box, bought one from out bew owner China! broke seat first 2 days cracked frame 4th day but i must say the American components held up. Thanks though of being so supportive of our country and being so nice to somebody else having an opinion.

Texasbob said:
I did think outside the box, bought one from out bew owner China! broke seat first 2 days cracked frame 4th day but i must say the American components held up. Thanks though of being so supportive of our country and being so nice to somebody else having an opinion.
If we're going to be objective instead of blindly patriotic, we have to admit America makes ****, too. I'm fluent in English, especially given it's my native tongue, but I have to admit I have no clue what "bew" means and what language it's from. Added @12:05: Also, before people so wrapped up in their flags that they cut off circulation to their brains, they should realize that it's almost assured that the majority, if not all of the components hanging from Texabob's "China" bike were not made in the US.

I'm fluent in English, especially given it's my native tongue, but I have to admit I have no clue what "bew" means and what language it's from.

[SIZE= 16px][COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]N[/COLOR][/SIZE]ew

As in, "Our new owner, China.".

Engrish...do you speak it?

I don't think there's a single piece of carbon fiber, plastic, aluminum, titanium or steel on my bicycle that is made in the U.S.A. That's kind of sad and pathetic.

The last American frames I bought were a 1974 Paramount custom order and a 1980 or there about Romic out of San Antonio, Texas. Oh, and a 2006 Litespeed flexible flyer that was built in Tennessee. Damn...i forgot, one of my Masi's was made in Kaleefornya.

Anyone remember the Graftek from Exxon? Maybe it's time for me get Calfee or some such to build me up a carbon toy for the new Campy electric stuff. Chris King, Shook, Alan Kingsbury and old Weyless stuff just won't mix in too well...G.E. Lexan seat post anybody?

Originally Posted by Texasbob .

I am sure no one meant you any disrespect! Some of us are older and can be cranky at times.... pay no attention.

But objectively looking at the history of bicycles.... they seem to get better and better all the time... and always have. Although certain levels of skills are required... many many nations are capable of making quality bicycles. The run-of-the-mill bicycles of today... are better than the bicycle dreams of my youth. Admittedly... today's plastic ultra-lights are far more fragile than the welded steel Schwinn's of yesterday... but life is full of trade-offs. Those durable old Varsity 10 speeds weighted like... 31 pounds. Bicycles from both this and the last century... made is various places around the world... have all earned places in many of our hearts.

The ways of the world has always been complex. But today with lighter work loads, and the Internet, we can more easily be aware of exactly what is changing. The change... is nether good nor bad... it is only what it is.

What a ***** answer. It was a simple question you snob. You are probably knowledgeable about everything....but you need some manners.

my sampson silverton, but they went out of business i think,

Originally Posted by vspa .

my sampson silverton, but they went out of business i think,
I had to look it up because I knew Eric Sampson didn't make the bikes he sold under his name. The Silvertons were (beautifully) made by TiSports/Sandvik in Washington state. Very nice.

oldbobcat said:
I had to look it up because I knew Eric Sampson didn't make the bikes he sold under his name. The Silvertons were (beautifully) made by TiSports/Sandvik in Washington state. Very nice.
i bought it from excelsports in boulder colorado, in 2008, a touring guy i met here on the road also came from boulder, he says it is the cycling capital of the country,

Originally Posted by vspa .

i bought it from excelsports in boulder colorado, in 2008, a touring guy i met here on the road also came from boulder, he says it is the cycling capital of the country,
Boulder, nah, nobody rides bikes there. OBC will tell you, can't be more than one bike shop in the whole town.

dhk2 said:
Boulder, nah, nobody rides bikes there.  OBC will tell you, can't be more than one bike shop in the whole town.  
Yeah. Boulder is just stuck in a featureless, uninteresting place to ride. When I lived there, I probably came close at some point to thinking about wondering what it would be like to hate riding there. Alas, I was too distracted by the riding there to think about such wondering.

I can't find anything to complain about. Well, I wish there were more trees. And more places to go for a swim without having to pay money or get arrested.

Have you checked out Worksman Cycles at www.worksmancycles.com

While we do not offer all styles, we offer some really nice cruisers and city bikes, made in the USA and at very reasonable prices

We welcome your visit to our site

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Scott is a Swiss corporation. All Scott and Cannondale frame production is in Asia now. Scott proudly maintains that its Asian builders are the most closely supervised and tested in the industry. Quality issues that were reported with US-made high-end Cannondales largely disappeared when production was outsourced to a Taiwanese fabricator.

Last I heard, Trek Madones and Domanes at the 6 level and above are still made in the US. The 5s are made in Taiwan.
It's only the 6 and 7 series Madones that are made in the US. All Domanes are made in Taiwan.

CAMPYBOB said:
Complete and utter BS. Not really. Tainted baby formula. Contaminated milk. Drywall that outgasses sulpher fumes. If you pay third world labor rates and third world laborers, don't be surprised if you get third world quality. A great reason for "settling" for an imported bike is the case in which it fits better, rides better, looks better, and better fits your budget.   Wow. Chicom bikes fit better than American or Canadian bikes. Who knew? Cheaper? Yes. Anything that things there's one reason why "we are were we are now, just settling for ****" hasn't given critical thought a try at all. Evidently, critical 'thinkers' give a hell of a lot of thought to what they type. Engrish. Does anyone speak it?
Wow, discriminate much? I came to this site as recommended by a friend, and the first thread I read is this garbage. I may be Asian....and I may live an alternative lifestyle with some real quirky preferences in rife, but I was expecting much more from the so-called experts.

AsianBullet said:
Wow, discriminate much? I came to this site as recommended by a friend, and the first thread I read is this garbage. I may be Asian....and I may live an alternative lifestyle with some real quirky preferences in rife, but I was expecting much more from the so-called experts.
He's known as BigotBob and is the local bigot. Ignore him.

Yes. A company in Chattanooga makes a higher end line of bikes from Titanium. Google TN made bikes and you can get full info. Good luck.