Are there any Atheist cyclists out there?

IronDonut

Apr 26, 2005
Are there any Atheist cyclists out there? You love to cycle and you believe in what can be seen and proven. And you think math and science is cool while completely discounting the super natural.

You might even believe that religion is a crowd control mechinism and yet one more example of a ponsi organization that steals power and money from those on the bottom of the ponsi scheme and redirects it to those on the top.

Just wondering.

IronDonut said:
Are there any Atheist cyclists out there? You love to cycle and you believe in what can be seen and proven. And you think math and science is cool while completely discounting the super natural.

You might even believe that religion is a crowd control mechinism and yet one more example of a ponsi organization that steals power and money from those on the bottom of the ponsi scheme and redirects it to those on the top.

Just wondering.
Someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. :D

IronDonut said:

Just wondering.
Oh please...let's not rehash this. The "other" thread isn't even on life support yet:D

baj32161 said:
Oh please...let's not rehash this. The "other" thread isn't even on life support yet:D
Sure, rain on my parade... I was about to start the "Are there any Agnostic cyclists out there?" thread.

I think either side "there is a god" and "there is no god" are difficult to believe, so I live in the middle ground. :D

I do solidly believe that no organized religion has it right. I also think that a lot of people call themselves atheist that are really agnostic... but these are definitely topics that are best discussed on a different forum.

I do believe that my tires will hold air, and that my frame will not buckle, and that the components on my bike are appropriate for my riding... otherwise I couldn't get myself to ride. I am always disappointed and lose a little of my faith when something fails to operate as it should...

But back on the topic... Perhaps as an agnostic, to get my point across, I should have a jersey made with a big question mark on it. What should an atheist wear on their jersey to "spread the word"?

wheelist said:
I'm still hoping to get one of these made up.....

http://www.cyclingforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4769

:D

HA! That'd start some conversations.

I believe that all religions are superstitious nonsense at their core, with some good (and some bad) ethical and social stuff thrown in. I believe the good ethical and social stuff can stand on its own. I believe everyone would be better off leading a moral, non-superstitious life but they're too scared to really question their faith and they don't like my proselytizing any more than I theirs.

Renouncing my religion many years ago was a very liberating, self-affirming event in my life. I don't call myself an atheist because that's a negative definition from a theistic point of view, but the term is accurate.

Any blonde,one fingered,cross eyed def mute cyclist out there? Just wondering.

[But back on the topic... Perhaps as an agnostic, to get my point across, I should have a jersey made with a big question mark on it. What should an atheist wear on their jersey to "spread the word"?[/QUOTE]

Thank God I am an athiest!

It never ceases to amaze me that "thinking" people could be atheists. Do you really believe the balance of the universe, the intricacies of the human body, etc could al be a result of time +matter+ chance? While the debate might rage over the nature of God it would appear obvious that there is a designer. But then you would probably think a watch found on a path "just evolved there."

jandbzpapa said:
It never ceases to amaze me that "thinking" people could be atheists. Do you really believe the balance of the universe, the intricacies of the human body, etc could al be a result of time +matter+ chance? While the debate might rage over the nature of God it would appear obvious that there is a designer. But then you would probably think a watch found on a path "just evolved there."

BTW to be clearer I was just responding to the previous post. I am not an athiest.

jandbzpapa said:

I have enjoyed lots of scientific academic success along with sports. In university I was one the the top students in the national institution. I am a good academic. I understand how the universe works and I have some disappointing news for you. There is no god. You really want there to be a god because you are a human and you mind encourages the nice comfortable thought that you were created and things happen for a reason etc... But, the truth is, the universe is actually quite a boring place and magic things like ghosts and God and life beyond death are purely in your mind.

Its hard to accept as a person that you are absolutely insignificant and as much of a spiritual being as a computer or an engine or any mechanism which does a function but infortunately you are.

jandbzpapa said:
...it would appear obvious that there is a designer...

Statements like that show your lack of ability to think beyond what you know. I used to struggle to believe people could make microchips with millions of transistors on them in something 1cm by 1cm. I knew they could and I knew how they did it but it was difficult to accept that that was what I was witnessing. After understanding such processes better I now feel comfortable that they can put millions of components on a chip. I believe it now. Maybe one day you will believe that animals can evolve from mere chemicals - when you are able to open your mind a little and not just assume what you dont understand is the result of some godly magical act!

jandbzpapa said:
It never ceases to amaze me that "thinking" people could be atheists.

It never ceases to amaze me that grown adults are so thick that they cant overcome an instinctive belief with reason. How can top university Professors believe in god given that all the evidence points to the fact there isn't one?

jandbzpapa said:
Okay...as with the other Christian thread, I tried to avoid this one. You, on the other hand have compelled me to reply with a serious post, as opposed to my rather tongue in cheek earlier post. I stated in the christian post that being antagonistic and confrontational is not the best course of action and will, not likely, draw any allies you your "cause." However your last sentence about finding a watch is both antagonistic and profoundly stupid. If you believe that anyone would think a watch "evolved" on a trail, then, perhaps it is you who are not capable of rational thought. And if you are only using that sentence as an analogy, then maybe you need to come up with a better one next time.

Religious views are a very personal matter and you...as a believer should practice the tolerance that your religion preaches. Many of us agnostics (or atheists) respect your beliefs and only wish you would do the same. Your belief in some sort of spectral "God" does not offend me in the least, why should my (our) doubts about such an existence offend you? Do I (we) pose such a great threat to you? If that is so, then perhaps you should question your OWN faith.

Since we cannot be "thinking" people and are not capable of believing that which, to you, is so painfully obvious..perhaps you can tell me...if there is a designer of all of the Universe, and he is God, where did He come from? He had to come from somewhere didn't he?

MichaelB said:
It never ceases to amaze me that grown adults are so thick that they cant overcome an instinctive belief with reason. How can top university Professors believe in god given that all the evidence points to the fact there isn't one?
You seem to know everything. Are you GOD?

jandbzpapa said:

That's because you have an anthropocentric view of the universe- do you really believe the whole universe is there just so one tiny planet in an insignificant location can support humans? No outsider looking in would ever come to that conclusion, no matter how intricate the human body is.

It's not your fault - you've been brainwashed, but you are wrong. Only the unbrainwashed can see the truth in that.

The watchmaker parable is really only good for discussions with small children.

Oh yeah yeah yeah the ahh... life is to complex to have happened by accident. OK I'll follow this thread of logic. Life is too complex to have been created by accident. Therefor the creator must be more complex that what he created.

So who created the creator?

This whole intelligent design thing is a political ruse designed to alienate religious people further from science and reason.

Gays in the military.
Abortion.
North vs South.
Paper or plastic.

These are all just political tools designed to group people up into unthinking masses bound by a few basically pointless positions. That so the puller of the political strings can get on with what they are really interested in... making money and gaining power.

Here is an irony that never leaves me... the right wing boosts itself into power on the backs of the Jesus crowd but then acts in a manner exactly opposite of the Jesus teachings. Pro-war, Pro-greed, Pro-divisivness, **** the poor, enable the rich. Totally and completely opposite with the Jesus teachings. So they throw in a few non-sense issues as a political tripwire. Abortion is bad we're pro-life!!! Unless you happen to be between 18 to 25 years old, come from a middle to lower middle class upbringing then... you'd make great cannon fodder for the next for-profit (Freedom-tm) war.

The lefties do exactly the same thing. In fact it's the basis for human organizations. Management 101.

jandbzpapa said:

No no. Religions are simply political mechinisms. This is an unmutable rule of human behaviour. Every human organization is a ponsi scheme designed to transport money and power from the bottom of the ranks to the top.

DiabloScott said:
HA! That'd start some conversations.

I believe that all religions are superstitious nonsense at their core, with some good (and some bad) ethical and social stuff thrown in. I believe the good ethical and social stuff can stand on its own. I believe everyone would be better off leading a moral, non-superstitious life but they're too scared to really question their faith and they don't like my proselytizing any more than I theirs.