Are there any Atheist cyclists out there?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by IronDonut, Dec 9, 2005.

1. mitosis

mitosis New Member

Funniest thread I've read for a while. Good to see that, despite having no idea about frame materials ;) , you have a sense of humour.

Thank god for science!

2. mitosis

mitosis New Member

First victim. At least you could have tried to be funny.

3. huhenio

huhenio New Member

I believe that I have not the capacity to believe.

4. Brian-NC

Brian-NC New Member

I believe you do. Don't sell yourself short. Time was measured by the birth of Jesus Christ. He split time. All societies have a calendar, date and time system based on this event forward. Secular historians measure time by this event. Visit: www.cj2k.com/ The way things are heading, this may even be changed. I think any educated person can see that society, although technologically advancing, is profusely decaying from the inside out and hanging by a thread. It does not take a person of deep spiritual discernment and insight to understand this.

5. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Yeah - when we take over the world, we're going to change the datum of time to something that can actually be verified and has a scientific rather than superstitious significance... perhaps we'll use the year that we DO take over the world and we'll call it the Enlightenment and the first year will be "Year Zero" so we won't have the discontinuity that the current system has. The current years will be re-designated "Before Enlightenment" and we'll count backwards from zero.

Yes, things will be better without all the social and moral decay caused by religion. Hallelujah and Hazzah!

6. Labarum

Labarum New Member

7. TrevorN

TrevorN New Member

yes i am and i do cycle.

8. mitosis

mitosis New Member

And don't forget to read arguments against.

No contest really. ;)

9. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

The fact that our calendars are the way they are was because of the impact of early governments who chose the date because of their belief well after the fact. And they did it wrong.

If god split time he would have done it definitively and immediately. There would be no issue about whether Jesus was born in 5 BCE or whatever. We would also know the day when Jesus was born instead of having believers down through the years pick an arbitrary date. A date almost certainly picked to compete with the "pagan" Winter Solstice celebrations. Check the debates within the Christian church, and I think the arguments that the historical Jesus was not born in the winter are pretty solid...

Theologically, I believe that it would make more sense for Christians to stick to the Jewish calendar because spiritually you are Jews. You are simply Jews that believe that the promised messiah has arrived. The Bible does not even hint at splitting time, it does clearly state that the difference in the arrival of the christ is the change of the traditions involved with foreshadowing the coming of the savior, and rituals of purity, but otherwise retaining what had been...

The new covenant is a fulfillment of the means of salvation, not a change in the worldly calendar. Save these platitudes for the pulpit of a church that preaches bumper sticker theology instead of teaching Biblically sound theology.

As far as the decay of society... You should at least pick an argument not so easily dismissed. Look back at the Roman empire that existed in the time of this christ of yours. Do you really think that there was not violence and decadence that makes modern society look tame and sedate? Do you know where your local vomitorium is? Are the invitations to Roman style orgies just escaping me, and they are really common place? Do we have men battle to the death for entertainment? Do we have wild animals devour those that we despise to pass our time? Are people that commit crimes against the government executed by being crucified?

If you have real arguments to promote your faith, do it in a religious forum, and we will look there when the holy spirit of god puts the desire in our heart. Without that, your Bible teaches that all of your words will accomplish nothing.

And just to help you in your crusade. Insulting everyone that doesn't accept your evidence is a poor evangelical method...

10. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

You are wasting your breath, and time with this guy. I know...I tried and gave up already.

11. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I just couldn't help it... :)

I actually feel worse for wasting everyone else's reading time than wasting my breath... sometimes I guess I just like to hear myself talk... er type. ;)

12. Labarum

Labarum New Member

The division of time has often been driven by both agricultural and cultic needs. We have got to where were are with the common calendar by a series of historical accidents and astronomical compromises. Given the complexities it is amazing how accurate the Gregorian Calenadar is.

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

13. JesusOnABike

JesusOnABike New Member

You're all wrong. I DO exist.

I'm back and I'm bad. And a bit mad.

Now all you fools who said there is no God are in mighty big trouble with my Dad. He's gonna kick your sorry asses before he packs you off to Hell Station, where you'll spend the rest of your eternity wearing flameproof lycra and riding without saddles. Muahahahhahahh!

Lots of love,

Jesus

14. Brian-NC

Brian-NC New Member

We know this Biblical Prophecy is happening before our eyes. You almost have to close your eyes and ears but it is being revealed before all.

This is Biblically what was prophesied- It is coming True

1) There will be a departure from the Truth.
    2) Wars & Rumors of Wars
    3) Nation will rise against nation
    4) Famines & Earthquakes
    5) Christians will be ridiculed and persecuted
    6) Many will turn away from the faith (dissallusioned)
    7) Perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea
    8) It will be likened to a woman having a child

It is not that these things have never happened but the frequency of them occurring. It is like a woman having contractions at childbirth, they become more frequent and they are happening simultaneously in greater frequency than ever before. Great departure from Truth, Wars and Rumors of Terrorism, Nation rising against nation(look at USA) and others, Famines-millions are losing there life daily for starvation in many countries, Earthquakes have intensified over the last 20 years. There has been more quakes over the last 20 years than the previous 50. There have been more hurricanes in the last 12 years than the previous 90 years. Many are running from there faith and convictions- Billions are hopeless and helpless, deeply.

You can close your eyes but that does not change things.

Matthew 24:3-14

Signs of the End of the Age

3As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a ]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains. 9"Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Luke 21:25-28
    25"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea. 26Men will faint from terror, apprehensive of what is coming on the world, for the heavenly bodies will be shaken. 27At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

It is clear to me. That is the wonderful thing, that you do not have to be spiritually connected to see things coming to pass in the flesh. You don't have to believe the Bible but see that the events point directly in line with Scripture and His coming. That is the grace He offers to all before it is too late.

15. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

This is Biblically what was prophesied- It is coming True

1) There will be a departure from the Truth.
    2) Wars & Rumors of Wars
    3) Nation will rise against nation
    4) Famines & Earthquakes
    5) Christians will be ridiculed and persecuted
    6) Many will turn away from the faith (dissallusioned)
    7) Perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea
    8) It will be likened to a woman having a child

Ummmm Brian, I hate to break this to you but all of this was going on during biblical times too, or have you forgotten.

16. Brian-NC

Brian-NC New Member

You have completely taken 8 points out of context. These were given in the prophetic books of the Bible in the Old Testament. Go through the New Testament after Jesus prophesied of these events in Matthew and Luke,

Biblically

1)Pestilence was never again mentioned
    2)Storms are never mentioned again
    3)Earthquake is only mentioned in Acts 16:26 when Paul and Silas were broken from their shackles in jail by an earthquake. Earthquake is mentioned 5 more times though and would you they are all in Revelation
    4) Wars were never mentioned, other than spiritual warfare and combat. Only once of specific nation being destroyed in Acts 13:19
    5) Christians have been persecuted, since that time but it will be increasing.
    6) Famine mentioned 3 times- Acts 7:11; 11:28; Romans 8:35 and twice in Revelation- 6:8; 18:8

They were so lightly discussed, in all of the Scripture after He spoke it, you could peruse the balance of those issues in a couple minutes of reading in the entire remainder of the Bible. The main point, is the fact that they are happening at the same time, in greater frequency than before, all together, even in greater acceleration in our recent life. All the while these natural disasters are happening and events unfolding, society races and runs faster to advance in what is seen, but the very soul of human life is rapidly depleting in the process. You do not need any discernment to understand that. Take Brad Pitt's comments, a non-Christian. He spoke about the American Dream and was quoted, "I say toss it all, we are heading for a complete numbing of the soul and complete atrophy of the spiritual being." He was asked what to do, and replied, " I don't have those answers yet"

17. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

Gosh... I didn't know Brad Pitt was disillusioned... We are all lost now!!!!!!! REPENT AND BE SAVED, A GUY IN HOLLYWOOD IS UPSET!!!!!!

Quick, I have to find the closest church... I will pray that the rest of you realize how bad it is that even Brad is upset!!!!!
    :rolleyes:

18. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

Funny how the athiest thread has turned into another christian thread. They'd take over the entire forum if they thought they could get away with it.

19. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Okay Brian, while normally I am the least bit inclined to listen to the ramblings of a Hollywood nincompoop, I will ask you this. Where is "Christian" mentioned Mr. Pitt's diatribe? I do see the word spiritual. I am 1/4 Native American (as well as Black, and find my Native-American side to be quite "spiritual" and not the least bit christian. You do have a predilection for taking some very general, positive words and concepts and making them the sole providence of the christian (or at least twisting them around to fit them in). Is it just me, or is there an inherent arrogance in this practice? My people believe in spirits too (which I also think is hogwash) but they would not be in here mindlessly spouting off about it to a group of people who clearly have no interest in it. You have made your point, and your beliefs are noted and accepted. May I be allowed to have mine, without having to listen to anymore of your preaching and "prayers for me?" If you insist on praying for me, just do it and don't tell me about it. I will not pray for you, as I believe it is a complete waste of time and effort. In other words, what does this have to do with what you are trying to say? This same thing has been being said for many years, and not only by christians.

Brian I am not trying to change your mind. I know you are quite serious about your beliefs and I applaud you for it. I am just as serious about mine. Is there something preventing you from realizing that you won't get your mesage through to me either. I do not buy into it....please....PLEASE give it a rest. Why not try a religion or inmate forum to spread your word. I am not trying to be a jerk here, please believe me, but it would seem to me that it may be a bit more appreciated there. I would think that even you would have to admit that, based upon some of the responses you have received.

Brian

20. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Jesus is a troll?:eek: :D