Are there any Atheist cyclists out there?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by IronDonut, Dec 9, 2005.

1. mises

mises New Member

It never ceases to amaze me that otherwise intelligent people could not be atheists. The intelligent design crowd reveal not just their inability to comprehend what is possible given immense spans of time, but also an overwhelming ignorance of most of the last two hundred years of science.

The fact that a human being cannot understand how a particular outcome could be the result of a natural process is not proof of anything other than being the imperfect result of the aimless process of evolution, and in many cases bad genes and poor education. Dogs can't understand how flush toilets work. Does that prove there is divine intervention involved, or is only human ignorance a valid proof?

Besides being fallacious intelligent design and other pseudo-science defenses are demeaning to the faith of the believers. The only defensible argument for religion is faith, something that was conceded by the more thoughful of the faithful long before Darwin upset the apple cart, and to feel the need to dress things up in a facade of science reveals a lack of both confidence in and possession of faith.

Men of faith like Mortimer Adler or Lewis Carroll are far more rigorous defenders of religious belief than any of the current crop of holy warriors since they at least knew what they were defending, as well as being widely read and not cowering in fear that they might be exposed to an idea hostile to their faith. It's rather ridiculous that atheists tend to know more of the history and philosophy of religions than the people who profess to believe in them today. Then again maybe that's why people become atheists. It is a sad, violent, overtly political, and disturbing history.

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

3. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It never ceases to amaze me at how athiest let the fact that everyone doesn't think as they do, bug the crap out of them.

People are violent and emotional, not belief systems.

5. cuervo

cuervo New Member

Yes, fortunately there are some atheist here, and we are good on the bike too!!!

I'm atheist, I like to respect and to be respected. I live in a very catholic country and in a more catholic city, but you get use to it.

Regards

6. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Thursday morning irony.....

"Jesus turned water into wine. Well, I turned it back so everything's fine now."
    - Kimya Dawson

7. alienator

It's tragic when IT managers aren't more open minded about religion. Heh.

8. mgagnonlv

mgagnonlv New Member

I can't be a total atheist...
    When I cycle, I believe in the gods of the wheel and the chain.

For the rest of my life... it's not the business of this forum.

9. dw_moto

dw_moto New Member

WHO ME?!?! Just kidding (Brunette, ten fingered, cross-eyed, musican, can't stop talking, cyclist).

10. bbattle

bbattle New Member

It was determined long ago that it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of a god.

Belief in a god is a matter of faith; you either believe or you don't.

Belief in a god does not make you a good person. Disbelief in a god does not make you a bad person.

How a person lives their life determines, to themselves and to others, if they are a "Good" or "Bad" person.

So, follow the Golden Rule, don't molest children or harm animals, and know what is really important and that is to love one another, eat each other's cooking and say it was good.

ps. Be sure to wave hello to everyone when riding your bike, especially people riding recumbents.

11. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Just like I do when I am walking at the mall, right?:D ;)

Touche'

Brian

12. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Did anyone see that programme on Channel 4 last night; 'The Root of All Evil'

Fantastic! That should be shown during Religious Education in schools and the kids should be left to make there own minds up.

I dont think they would ever have got that programme on the BBC (Bible Basher Club?) with all the Christian institutions they have in the UK.

It was basically about getting what Atheists aren't allowed to say, because it offends religious nutters, on the air. You could sense the frustration the man (Prof Dawkins, Oxford) was feeling when people just dont listen to reason and believe in something because they want to. That sums up religion for me.

Sometimes I think life would be so easy if I was a weak willed idiot.

13. alienator

Lucky for you, you're a weak brained idiot. If you use actual critical thought skills, you'll find that atheism is a faith, just as religions are in some small form based on faith.

If had thinking skills you'd realize that there is no proof, nor any way to prove that there is or isn't some God-like being. Just can't happen. As a result, people have to invest in some faith that there is or isn't such a being. Because you've chosen one side doesn't make you somehow better than anyone else. That you talk the way you do makes you sound just like an evangelist.....an atheistic evangelist. To be sure there is no difference between the two sorts of evangelists and differing faiths.

I suspect your life is difficult because your brain can't process logical thought patterns.

14. baj32161

baj32161 New Member

Okay already...can't we please kill this thread?!?!?!;)

15. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Yeah, because we all want to dont we! (Thats sarcasm by the way)

I'm afraid that made me laugh. Really though its quite disturbing that that is the first thought which comes into anybody's head when they are thinking of bad things to do. I'm not aiming that personally at the poster btw please dont think of my reply as a personal attack.

Realistically the chances of being molested as far as I am aware, when you are a child, aren't that high. I say that because I wasn't and I dont know anyone who was but I do know lots of people who were beaten up and robbed and just generally treated badly.
    When someone is its on the news and we see that a few times a year. However almost every week at least one usually more people win the lottery with odds of 14000000 to one - maybe 100+ people per year.

My point is that like gun crime and murder and terrorism etc... that doesn't actually happen very often but the way we hear about it frequently makes these crimes seem like something almost ordinary.

I think in a world without a wierd obsession with child molesters the original poster's post would have said 'So remember, dont be an arsehole to people...'

16. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

Now you see like the Prof. I have proven myself to be a fine logical thinker. That isn't based on my opinion but on my academic performance throughout school and university, which ranked me very highly compared to anybody else in the country at the time. In fact in my field I was the best.

Atheism is not a religion. At least whatever I am is not religious. I am deeply insulted by anybody suggesting such a thing. I do not believe anything. I try and understand what I see and hear and make sense of it. I do not start out with an idea and fit my world around it.

I can take being wrong. You clearly cant.

17. MichaelB

MichaelB New Member

That is because your rules for your god are arranged so that it cant be disproved. Its not because there is a good chance you are correct but simply because you believe in something which you have made impossible to disprove. That is what is so irritating about talking to a believer. They refuse to listen to what you say because they dont WANT to. It seems to hurt them.

18. alienator

First, it's sad when you have to spout off 'bout your academic performance.

Second, I never said that atheism was a religion. I did say that it is a faith, because you cannot prove that upon which it is based. Religion is an entirely different issue and has more to do with maintaining power over a segment of the population in order to promot a way of thinking or some agenda. Religions pervert faith, just as people who don't know you can't prove any atheistic belief pervert the atheistic faith.

Faith is nothing of the sort.

19. alienator

Heh. And this is where you've made a huge mistake. You know nothing about any faith I might adhere, be it atheism or whatever. I'm arguing from the position of an objective observer, a scientist, and what I know that laws of physics do and don't say.

There is no hidden truth or obvious proof of atheism just as there is none for any other faith. To claim that you are somehow superior because of your atheistic beliefs means that you don't understand that there is nothing that proves your faith is well founded. The same applies to any other faith. If you can't make that distinction, then you're no different than any of the "true believers" you look down upon.

For my part, I have constructed no belief system to fit what happens in the world around me. I have physical laws and the uncertainty of human behavior to do that. I have no need to blow my nose on someone because they believe this or that. I do take offense when people, such as yourself, think that it can be logically deduced and empirically proven that what faith they have is true. Sorry, it's not in the laws. And even if you were the best in your country at adding fractions....which I highly doubt, since the best have no need to announce they're the best.....you still cannot claim superiority for any particular belief.

FWIW, there are two fellows, roaming about my department, that have Nobel Prizes in science. The funny thing is that they don't announce and say things like "I have proven myself to be a fine logical thinker. That isn't based on my opinion but on my academic performance throughout school and university, which ranked me very highly compared to anybody else in the country at the time. In fact in my field I was the best." They understand that would make them look like twats.

Again, that you're offended by saying atheism is a faith shows that you haven't considered the argument carefully. Maybe your profs should have given you more than just true/false tests.

20. kaikane

kaikane New Member

Y'all better be careful what you say or Pat Robertson will send god after you! :eek: