are there any combo look and flat platform pedals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Paul Zamor, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. hello. i'm planning on pulling a child's trailer behind my road bike which currently has look
    pedals. i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street shoes
    on the other might be good. i'm not sure how much of a safety issue looks are while pulling a child
    (i'm adept with them on my own), but was wondering if such a pedal existed? any input would be
    appreciated. thanks

    eric

    fresno, ca.

    Tags:

  2. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    eric paul zamora wrote:
    > i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street shoes on
    > the other might be good. i'm not sure how much of a safety issue looks are while pulling a child
    > (i'm adept with them on my own), but was wondering if such a pedal existed? any input would be
    > appreciated. thanks

    Try for a Look pedal adapter - Winwood was one brand, IIRC. Snap it into a Look pedal and you have a
    clip-and-strap arrangement. You could use one on just one side.

    Look made an "ATB" pedal that fit regular look cleats on one side and had a grippy surface on the
    back, but they don't pedal very well in street shoes (I commute on these). You can still find them
    on Ebay from time to time.

    Regards,
    --
    Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

  3. In article <BB1C1A9D.9D19%[email protected]>, eric paul zamora <[email protected]> wrote:

    >hello. i'm planning on pulling a child's trailer behind my road bike which currently has look
    >pedals. i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street
    >shoes on the other might be good. i'm not sure how much of a safety issue looks are while pulling a
    >child (i'm adept with them on my own), but was wondering if such a pedal existed? any input would
    >be appreciated. thanks

    The Winwood Instep adapter is one solution to that problem.

    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=PD1120

    --Paul

  4. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    eric paul zamora <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<BB1C1A9D.9D19%[email protected]>...
    > hello. i'm planning on pulling a child's trailer behind my road bike which currently has look
    > pedals. i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street
    > shoes on the other might be good. i'm not sure how much of a safety issue looks are while pulling
    > a child (i'm adept with them on my own), but was wondering if such a pedal existed? any input
    > would be appreciated. thanks

    "Existed" is the operative here. There were pedals with a Look platform on one side and a ridged
    platform on the other. They were sold in 1992-1993 to combat Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals. They
    haven't been seen since. You might be able to find some at a swap meet.

    Jeff

  5. Mark Janeba <[email protected]> wrote:
    > eric paul zamora wrote:
    > > i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street shoes on
    > > the other might be good.

    > ...Look made an "ATB" pedal that fit regular look cleats on one side and had a grippy surface on
    > the back, but they don't pedal very well in street shoes (I commute on these). You can still find
    > them on Ebay from time to time.

    Look also made a pedal with a very square shaped plastic body, one side takes standard Look cleats
    and the other has a flat cage with a little bit of texture. There is even an integrated reflector
    (!) They aren't as grippy as, say, a BMX pedal with little pins, but work OK. Again, greedbay is an
    occasional source.

  6. thanks to all for the tips.

    eric fresno, ca.