Are there any easy ways to tell how fit one is?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Meek One, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Meek One

Meek One New Member

Are there any easy ways to tell how fit one is? I know when I was young and could run a sub-5 minute mile without training I was in decent shape. How can I gauge myself on the bike? Thanks.

Tags:

2. Smartt/RST

Smartt/RST New Member

There are a number of test you can do, depending on the physiologic ability you wish to test (eg: your 1 mile test would be something of a VO2max test due to the time it took you to run it). However, judging whether you are fit or not depends on how you want to go about it. You could either compare your current fitness to your past fitness or you can compare yourself with others; certainly both have a purpose, depending on your goals.
    As an example, at RST we start with a maximal aerobic power (MAP) test, which you can check out here:http://www.cyclecoach.com/articles/?article=Power_Guidelines&ext=.htm
    One of the reasons we conduct such a controlled test is that cycling is affected by wind drag to a much larger extent than other endurance sports like running. IOW, if you were to cover 5 miles as fast as possible as your test, comparing one test to the other would be dubious at best since only a small change in wind direction or speed would significantly alter the results.
    With all of the possible tests you can do, I would of course recommend contacting a coach for some specific advice.
    Of course, feel free to contact RST directly.