Are there any guides about to rim sizes?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Stammers, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    Having been given a nice, new wheel-trueing stand for Christmas, and
    with a shiny dynamo hub just arrived awaiting spokes and a rim around
    it, I'm itching to get going with my first attempt at wheel building.
    The thing holding me back is trying to work out what rims to go for.
    There are plenty of rims available but no indication of what sizes
    tyres they are suitable for. Having consulted the oracle
    (www.sheldonbrown.com) I know that as I want to run 700Cx25 or 700Cx28
    tyres I'm looking for a 15mm or 17mm rim to rim measurement.
    Unfortunately manufacturers don't seem to publish this data. I can
    understand (sort of) the various on-line retailers not having the info
    on their sites but the likes of Mavic don't seem to have the technical
    specs. on their own site either (unless it's really well hidden).

    Does anyone know of an on-line source of this information?
    Alternatively I'm sure there must be some recommendations people want
    to make. I looking for a 36 hole rear and 32 hole front rim that
    ideally come in at under £30 each. They will mainly be used for my
    daily commute but will also be called on for the odd Audax and
    similar.

    Thanks

    MarkS

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mark Stammers wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Having been given a nice, new wheel-trueing stand for Christmas, and
    > with a shiny dynamo hub just arrived awaiting spokes and a rim around
    > it, I'm itching to get going with my first attempt at wheel building.
    > The thing holding me back is trying to work out what rims to go for.
    > There are plenty of rims available but no indication of what sizes
    > tyres they are suitable for. Having consulted the oracle
    > (www.sheldonbrown.com) I know that as I want to run 700Cx25 or 700Cx28
    > tyres I'm looking for a 15mm or 17mm rim to rim measurement.
    > Unfortunately manufacturers don't seem to publish this data. I can
    > understand (sort of) the various on-line retailers not having the info
    > on their sites but the likes of Mavic don't seem to have the technical
    > specs. on their own site either (unless it's really well hidden).
    >
    > Does anyone know of an on-line source of this information?

    Most manufacturer's do list widths or include diagrams. Mavic's info is
    poor, though.

    It's easy with /some/ of Mavic's rims when the width is indicated at the
    end of the model number, eg. A719 is 19mm (which I find is too wide for
    28mm tyres, by the way).

    Some more tech info is at:
    www.tech-mavic.com/uk/produits/road/jantes.htm
    - user name: mavic-com, pw: dealer
    (but don't get too excited because it's still not very good).

    > Alternatively I'm sure there must be some recommendations people want
    > to make. I looking for a 36 hole rear and 32 hole front rim that
    > ideally come in at under £30 each. They will mainly be used for my
    > daily commute but will also be called on for the odd Audax and
    > similar.

    [For 25 to 28mm tyres]

    Open Pro. Not quite ideal (bit light and won't last a very long time),
    but I don't think an ideal rim exists for your application since the
    demise of the MA2. Torelli Master is supposed to be as good as MA2 but it
    doesn't seem to be available in the UK.
    Anyway, Open Pro is pretty strong and reliable and can take lots of
    spoke tension thanks to its double eyelets & sockets--something many other
    rims do not have and therefore end up cracking around the spoke holes or
    eyelets.

    MA3 is good enough for a *front* wheel, in my opinion (and experience so
    far), and would save money when it comes to replacing the rim.

    Note. Both these rims can take 28+mm tyres despite Mavic's
    conservative/stupid recommendations.

    A719 would be very good if you'd consider using 30+mm tyres.

    (I only go on about Mavics because that's what I know best and they're
    very available. I don't wish to imply that they're better than other
    makes, though I think they are in some cases/ways).

    ~PB

  3. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Mark Stammers wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Having been given a nice, new wheel-trueing stand for Christmas, and
    > with a shiny dynamo hub just arrived awaiting spokes and a rim around
    > it, I'm itching to get going with my first attempt at wheel building.
    > The thing holding me back is trying to work out what rims to go for.
    > There are plenty of rims available but no indication of what sizes
    > tyres they are suitable for. Having consulted the oracle
    > (www.sheldonbrown.com) I know that as I want to run 700Cx25 or 700Cx28
    > tyres I'm looking for a 15mm or 17mm rim to rim measurement.
    > Unfortunately manufacturers don't seem to publish this data. I can
    > understand (sort of) the various on-line retailers not having the info
    > on their sites but the likes of Mavic don't seem to have the technical
    > specs. on their own site either (unless it's really well hidden).
    >
    > Does anyone know of an on-line source of this information?
    > Alternatively I'm sure there must be some recommendations people want
    > to make. I looking for a 36 hole rear and 32 hole front rim that
    > ideally come in at under £30 each. They will mainly be used for my
    > daily commute but will also be called on for the odd Audax and
    > similar.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > MarkS

    I think Spa Cycles built tourng wheels with Sun Rims. Maybe give them a
    call and discuss your requirements, they'll sell you the parts you need.

  4. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:18:26 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Mark Stammers wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Having been given a nice, new wheel-trueing stand for Christmas, and
    >> with a shiny dynamo hub just arrived awaiting spokes and a rim around
    >> it, I'm itching to get going with my first attempt at wheel building.
    >> The thing holding me back is trying to work out what rims to go for.
    >> There are plenty of rims available but no indication of what sizes
    >> tyres they are suitable for. Having consulted the oracle
    >> (www.sheldonbrown.com) I know that as I want to run 700Cx25 or 700Cx28
    >> tyres I'm looking for a 15mm or 17mm rim to rim measurement.
    >> Unfortunately manufacturers don't seem to publish this data. I can
    >> understand (sort of) the various on-line retailers not having the info
    >> on their sites but the likes of Mavic don't seem to have the technical
    >> specs. on their own site either (unless it's really well hidden).
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of an on-line source of this information?

    >Most manufacturer's do list widths or include diagrams. Mavic's info is
    >poor, though.
    >
    >It's easy with /some/ of Mavic's rims when the width is indicated at the
    >end of the model number, eg. A719 is 19mm (which I find is too wide for
    >28mm tyres, by the way).
    >
    >Some more tech info is at:
    >www.tech-mavic.com/uk/produits/road/jantes.htm
    > - user name: mavic-com, pw: dealer
    > (but don't get too excited because it's still not very good).
    >
    >> Alternatively I'm sure there must be some recommendations people want
    >> to make. I looking for a 36 hole rear and 32 hole front rim that
    >> ideally come in at under £30 each. They will mainly be used for my
    >> daily commute but will also be called on for the odd Audax and
    >> similar.

    >[For 25 to 28mm tyres]
    >
    >Open Pro. Not quite ideal (bit light and won't last a very long time),
    >but I don't think an ideal rim exists for your application since the
    >demise of the MA2. Torelli Master is supposed to be as good as MA2 but it
    >doesn't seem to be available in the UK

    So what has replaced the MA2 then Pete??

    If it's any help I built some wheels for our tandem (lightweight
    tourer) Sturmey Archer Hub Brakes onto 36 hole Mavic MA2's about 20
    years ago. Done thousands of miles, not a flicker of movement
    anywhere. I did however use heavy duty ( I forget the gauge) Double
    butted spokes. Minimal luggage, Me 83Kg, the missus (stoker) 58Kg
    .....NOTE: these are pre Christmas body weights ;-0

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Jack Ouzzi wrote:

    > So what has replaced the MA2 then Pete??

    MA3, but crucially this doesn't have sockets at the spoke holes (to
    connect inner & outer walls) and so can't take such high tension. It also
    has machined sidewalls that don't last as long (though they do provide
    very nice braking) and doesn't have the polished finish.

    ~PB

  6. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:16:02 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Jack Ouzzi wrote:
    >
    >> So what has replaced the MA2 then Pete??

    >MA3, but crucially this doesn't have sockets at the spoke holes (to
    >connect inner & outer walls) and so can't take such high tension. It also
    >has machined sidewalls that don't last as long (though they do provide
    >very nice braking) and doesn't have the polished finish.

    Ah, interesting I did not realise that.