Are there any guides about to rim sizes?

Mark Stammers

Guest
Hi all,

Having been given a nice, new wheel-trueing stand for Christmas, and
with a shiny dynamo hub just arrived awaiting spokes and a rim around
it, I'm itching to get going with my first attempt at wheel building.
The thing holding me back is trying to work out what rims to go for.
There are plenty of rims available but no indication of what sizes
tyres they are suitable for. Having consulted the oracle
(www.sheldonbrown.com) I know that as I want to run 700Cx25 or 700Cx28
tyres I'm looking for a 15mm or 17mm rim to rim measurement.
Unfortunately manufacturers don't seem to publish this data. I can
understand (sort of) the various on-line retailers not having the info
on their sites but the likes of Mavic don't seem to have the technical
specs. on their own site either (unless it's really well hidden).

Does anyone know of an on-line source of this information?
Alternatively I'm sure there must be some recommendations people want
to make. I looking for a 36 hole rear and 32 hole front rim that
ideally come in at under £30 each. They will mainly be used for my
daily commute but will also be called on for the odd Audax and
similar.

Thanks

MarkS

Mark Stammers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having been given a nice, new wheel-trueing stand for Christmas, and
> with a shiny dynamo hub just arrived awaiting spokes and a rim around
> it, I'm itching to get going with my first attempt at wheel building.
> The thing holding me back is trying to work out what rims to go for.
> There are plenty of rims available but no indication of what sizes
> tyres they are suitable for. Having consulted the oracle
> (www.sheldonbrown.com) I know that as I want to run 700Cx25 or 700Cx28
> tyres I'm looking for a 15mm or 17mm rim to rim measurement.
> Unfortunately manufacturers don't seem to publish this data. I can
> understand (sort of) the various on-line retailers not having the info
> on their sites but the likes of Mavic don't seem to have the technical
> specs. on their own site either (unless it's really well hidden).
>
> Does anyone know of an on-line source of this information?

Most manufacturer's do list widths or include diagrams. Mavic's info is
poor, though.

It's easy with /some/ of Mavic's rims when the width is indicated at the
end of the model number, eg. A719 is 19mm (which I find is too wide for
28mm tyres, by the way).

Some more tech info is at:
www.tech-mavic.com/uk/produits/road/jantes.htm
- user name: mavic-com, pw: dealer
(but don't get too excited because it's still not very good).

> Alternatively I'm sure there must be some recommendations people want
> to make. I looking for a 36 hole rear and 32 hole front rim that
> ideally come in at under £30 each. They will mainly be used for my
> daily commute but will also be called on for the odd Audax and
> similar.

[For 25 to 28mm tyres]

Open Pro. Not quite ideal (bit light and won't last a very long time),
but I don't think an ideal rim exists for your application since the
demise of the MA2. Torelli Master is supposed to be as good as MA2 but it
doesn't seem to be available in the UK.
Anyway, Open Pro is pretty strong and reliable and can take lots of
spoke tension thanks to its double eyelets & sockets--something many other
rims do not have and therefore end up cracking around the spoke holes or
eyelets.

MA3 is good enough for a *front* wheel, in my opinion (and experience so
far), and would save money when it comes to replacing the rim.

Note. Both these rims can take 28+mm tyres despite Mavic's
conservative/stupid recommendations.

A719 would be very good if you'd consider using 30+mm tyres.

(I only go on about Mavics because that's what I know best and they're
very available. I don't wish to imply that they're better than other
makes, though I think they are in some cases/ways).

~PB

Mark Stammers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having been given a nice, new wheel-trueing stand for Christmas, and
> with a shiny dynamo hub just arrived awaiting spokes and a rim around
> it, I'm itching to get going with my first attempt at wheel building.
> The thing holding me back is trying to work out what rims to go for.
> There are plenty of rims available but no indication of what sizes
> tyres they are suitable for. Having consulted the oracle
> (www.sheldonbrown.com) I know that as I want to run 700Cx25 or 700Cx28
> tyres I'm looking for a 15mm or 17mm rim to rim measurement.
> Unfortunately manufacturers don't seem to publish this data. I can
> understand (sort of) the various on-line retailers not having the info
> on their sites but the likes of Mavic don't seem to have the technical
> specs. on their own site either (unless it's really well hidden).
>
> Does anyone know of an on-line source of this information?
> Alternatively I'm sure there must be some recommendations people want
> to make. I looking for a 36 hole rear and 32 hole front rim that
> ideally come in at under £30 each. They will mainly be used for my
> daily commute but will also be called on for the odd Audax and
> similar.
>
> Thanks
>
> MarkS

I think Spa Cycles built tourng wheels with Sun Rims. Maybe give them a
call and discuss your requirements, they'll sell you the parts you need.

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:18:26 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>Mark Stammers wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Having been given a nice, new wheel-trueing stand for Christmas, and
>> with a shiny dynamo hub just arrived awaiting spokes and a rim around
>> it, I'm itching to get going with my first attempt at wheel building.
>> The thing holding me back is trying to work out what rims to go for.
>> There are plenty of rims available but no indication of what sizes
>> tyres they are suitable for. Having consulted the oracle
>> (www.sheldonbrown.com) I know that as I want to run 700Cx25 or 700Cx28
>> tyres I'm looking for a 15mm or 17mm rim to rim measurement.
>> Unfortunately manufacturers don't seem to publish this data. I can
>> understand (sort of) the various on-line retailers not having the info
>> on their sites but the likes of Mavic don't seem to have the technical
>> specs. on their own site either (unless it's really well hidden).
>>
>> Does anyone know of an on-line source of this information?

>Most manufacturer's do list widths or include diagrams. Mavic's info is
>poor, though.
>
>It's easy with /some/ of Mavic's rims when the width is indicated at the
>end of the model number, eg. A719 is 19mm (which I find is too wide for
>28mm tyres, by the way).
>
>Some more tech info is at:
>www.tech-mavic.com/uk/produits/road/jantes.htm
> - user name: mavic-com, pw: dealer
> (but don't get too excited because it's still not very good).
>
>> Alternatively I'm sure there must be some recommendations people want
>> to make. I looking for a 36 hole rear and 32 hole front rim that
>> ideally come in at under £30 each. They will mainly be used for my
>> daily commute but will also be called on for the odd Audax and
>> similar.

>[For 25 to 28mm tyres]
>
>Open Pro. Not quite ideal (bit light and won't last a very long time),
>but I don't think an ideal rim exists for your application since the
>demise of the MA2. Torelli Master is supposed to be as good as MA2 but it
>doesn't seem to be available in the UK

So what has replaced the MA2 then Pete??

If it's any help I built some wheels for our tandem (lightweight
tourer) Sturmey Archer Hub Brakes onto 36 hole Mavic MA2's about 20
years ago. Done thousands of miles, not a flicker of movement
anywhere. I did however use heavy duty ( I forget the gauge) Double
butted spokes. Minimal luggage, Me 83Kg, the missus (stoker) 58Kg
.....NOTE: these are pre Christmas body weights ;-0

Jack Ouzzi wrote:

> So what has replaced the MA2 then Pete??

MA3, but crucially this doesn't have sockets at the spoke holes (to
connect inner & outer walls) and so can't take such high tension. It also
has machined sidewalls that don't last as long (though they do provide
very nice braking) and doesn't have the polished finish.

~PB

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:16:02 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<pwrinkledgrape{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>Jack Ouzzi wrote:
>
>> So what has replaced the MA2 then Pete??

>MA3, but crucially this doesn't have sockets at the spoke holes (to
>connect inner & outer walls) and so can't take such high tension. It also
>has machined sidewalls that don't last as long (though they do provide
>very nice braking) and doesn't have the polished finish.

Ah, interesting I did not realise that.