Are there any honest bike stores in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Nicholso, May 24, 2003.

  1. So I desparately needed a saddle as my Ti Flite is very uncomfortable having not been on a bike for
    a while. Well today I bought San Italia XO Trans Am but not thinking at the time and being in need
    of a saddle I was charged $105 for this Saddle. I feel this price is a tad over list price.

    Now, I know that this saddle is available for considerably less online .. I've seen it as low as
    $15 on price point. But it's sickens me that bicycle shops will charge a customer what they knowis
    an exhorbitant amount of money on top of what this thing cost. Now I'm not stupid I know bike
    stores have to make some money but they really should be thinking repeat business not just a one
    time rip off.

    Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of customers
    like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but since I
    bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item there was no
    price tag on the thing.

    This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth over all.

    I use to wear Large Hardwear Mountain XL shorts and I guess the shammy in those was much better in
    the current Pearl Izumi Cycling shorts I have at the moment because any saddle I try at the moment
    just seems to be quite uncomfortable.

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    Rob, I hate to be the one to tell you; but saddles have become *mucho* expensive! $125 saddles are
    commonplace these days. I think it's ridiculous, myself; but that's the way it is.

    You won't get me to sing the praises of Chicago bike shops, except for Cycle Smithy on N. Clark,
    which is a gem. Most Chicago shops I've frequented have been high-pressure high-priced fast-talking
    establishments with much more hype than help. Either that, or they're far too busy being elite to
    actually talk to you (Turin).

    As for online catalog shop prices vs. retail storefront shop prices, there is a *huge* difference -
    as you have seen. Quite frankly, if retail shops can't give good advice, and can't give good service
    AND their prices are ridiculous - why would I ever shop there? Answer: I wouldn't.

    Before you give up on Chicago retail bike shops, try Cycle Smithy. They might change your mind; but
    don't expect them to match online prices. Most shops won't.

    Barry

    "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So I desparately needed a saddle as my Ti Flite is very uncomfortable having not been on a bike
    > for a while. Well today I bought San Italia XO Trans Am but not thinking at the time and being in
    > need of a saddle I was charged $105 for this Saddle. I feel this price is a tad over list price.
    >
    > Now, I know that this saddle is available for considerably less online .. I've seen it as low as
    > $15 on price point. But it's sickens me that bicycle shops will charge a customer what they knowis
    > an exhorbitant amount of money on top of what this thing cost. Now I'm not stupid I know bike
    > stores have to make some money but they really should be thinking repeat business not just a one
    > time rip off.
    >
    > Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of customers
    > like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but since I
    > bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item there was
    > no price tag on the thing.
    >
    > This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth over all.
    >
    > I use to wear Large Hardwear Mountain XL shorts and I guess the shammy in those was much better in
    > the current Pearl Izumi Cycling shorts I have at the moment because any saddle I try at the moment
    > just seems to be quite uncomfortable.

  3. Ok it's irrelevant now as I've taken the seat back for full refund anyway.

    I decided to do this because I spoke to one of the Evanston stores and they told me I should really
    be expecting more in a saddle for this kind of money.

    So, a day wasted but at least my wallet didn't suffer too bad.

    news:<[email protected]>...

  4. [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) writes:

    >Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of customers
    >like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but since I
    >bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item there was
    >no price tag on the thing.

    Turin Cycles Co. used to be a very excellent shop in chicago. i think the only one remaining is in
    the 'burbs. but they even had their own line of cycles in the 1970's, and were well known nationally
    as "good guys" ...

  5. "Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Robert Nicholson) writes:
    >
    > >Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of
    > >customers like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but
    > >since I bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item
    > >there was no price tag on the thing.
    >
    > Turin Cycles Co. used to be a very excellent shop in chicago. i think the only one remaining is in
    > the 'burbs. but they even had their own line of cycles in the 1970's, and were well known
    > nationally as "good guys" ...

    I always found Rapid Transit on North Ave. to be fair and helpful.

    Rob Strickland

  6. There's a Schwinn shop on North Ave just west of Austin, on the South side of the street. (This is
    actually Oak Park on the south side and Chicago on the North). It's not a glamor shop, but they know
    bikes and have parts.

    B. Sanders wrote:
    > Rob, I hate to be the one to tell you; but saddles have become *mucho* expensive! $125 saddles are
    > commonplace these days. I think it's ridiculous, myself; but that's the way it is.
    >
    > You won't get me to sing the praises of Chicago bike shops, except for Cycle Smithy on N. Clark,
    > which is a gem. Most Chicago shops I've frequented have been high-pressure high-priced
    > fast-talking establishments with much more hype than help. Either that, or they're far too busy
    > being elite to actually talk to you (Turin).
    >
    > As for online catalog shop prices vs. retail storefront shop prices, there is a *huge* difference
    > - as you have seen. Quite frankly, if retail shops can't give good advice, and can't give good
    > service AND their prices are ridiculous - why would I ever shop there? Answer: I wouldn't.
    >
    > Before you give up on Chicago retail bike shops, try Cycle Smithy. They might change your mind;
    > but don't expect them to match online prices. Most shops won't.
    >
    > Barry
    >
    > "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>So I desparately needed a saddle as my Ti Flite is very uncomfortable having not been on a bike
    >>for a while. Well today I bought San Italia XO Trans Am but not thinking at the time and being in
    >>need of a saddle I was charged $105 for this Saddle. I feel this price is a tad over list price.
    >>
    >>Now, I know that this saddle is available for considerably less online .. I've seen it as low as
    >>$15 on price point. But it's sickens me that bicycle shops will charge a customer what they knowis
    >>an exhorbitant amount of money on top of what this thing cost. Now I'm not stupid I know bike
    >>stores have to make some money but they really should be thinking repeat business not just a one
    >>time rip off.
    >>
    >>Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of customers
    >>like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but since I
    >>bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item there was
    >>no price tag on the thing.
    >>
    >>This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth over all.
    >>
    >>I use to wear Large Hardwear Mountain XL shorts and I guess the shammy in those was much better in
    >>the current Pearl Izumi Cycling shorts I have at the moment because any saddle I try at the moment
    >>just seems to be quite uncomfortable.

  7. Matt J

    Matt J Guest

    I've had great experience with Johnny Sprocket's at 3001 N. Broadway - got a bike there a year and a
    half ago and they were real nice. I've heard good things about Higher Gear in Highland park (15
    miles north of the city). Turin in Evanston is pretty good - I'm not an "elite" rider, and they've
    been pretty good to me. You just sort of have to know them I guess. And they let you try as many
    saddles as you like before you buy one. Good luck! Matt

  8. I was hoping to take a trip out to Turin today actually. I like the guys at Cycle Smithy it's just
    that like most stores in town that shops stock of saddles isn't very good. Today I'm hoping to try a
    pair of Castelli bib shorts or something that offers better padding than my existing Pearl Izumis.

    BTW: By the way no saddle with Manganese rails should cost anywhere near $105. For that kind of
    money you should be expecting a saddle with long lasting cover and Ti-rails. That was my objection
    to be charged $105 for a "stock" saddle yesterday.

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Rob, I hate to be the one to tell you; but saddles have become *mucho* expensive! $125 saddles are
    > commonplace these days. I think it's ridiculous, myself; but that's the way it is.
    >
    > You won't get me to sing the praises of Chicago bike shops, except for Cycle Smithy on N. Clark,
    > which is a gem. Most Chicago shops I've frequented have been high-pressure high-priced
    > fast-talking establishments with much more hype than help. Either that, or they're far too busy
    > being elite to actually talk to you (Turin).
    >
    > As for online catalog shop prices vs. retail storefront shop prices, there is a *huge* difference
    > - as you have seen. Quite frankly, if retail shops can't give good advice, and can't give good
    > service AND their prices are ridiculous - why would I ever shop there? Answer: I wouldn't.
    >
    > Before you give up on Chicago retail bike shops, try Cycle Smithy. They might change your mind;
    > but don't expect them to match online prices. Most shops won't.
    >
    > Barry
    >
    > "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > So I desparately needed a saddle as my Ti Flite is very uncomfortable having not been on a bike
    > > for a while. Well today I bought San Italia XO Trans Am but not thinking at the time and being
    > > in need of a saddle I was charged $105 for this Saddle. I feel this price is a tad over list
    > > price.
    > >
    > > Now, I know that this saddle is available for considerably less online .. I've seen it as low as
    > > $15 on price point. But it's sickens me that bicycle shops will charge a customer what they
    > > knowis an exhorbitant amount of money on top of what this thing cost. Now I'm not stupid I know
    > > bike stores have to make some money but they really should be thinking repeat business not just
    > > a one time rip off.
    > >
    > > Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of
    > > customers like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but
    > > since I bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item
    > > there was no price tag on the thing.
    > >
    > > This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth over all.
    > >
    > > I use to wear Large Hardwear Mountain XL shorts and I guess the shammy in those was much better
    > > in the current Pearl Izumi Cycling shorts I have at the moment because any saddle I try at the
    > > moment just seems to be quite uncomfortable.

  9. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Carolyn & Timothy Douma" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's a Schwinn shop on North Ave just west of Austin, on the South side of the street. (This is
    > actually Oak Park on the south side and Chicago on the North). It's not a glamor shop, but they
    > know bikes and have parts.
    >
    > B. Sanders wrote:
    > > Rob, I hate to be the one to tell you; but saddles have become *mucho* expensive! $125 saddles
    > > are commonplace these days. I think it's ridiculous, myself; but that's the way it is.
    > >
    > > You won't get me to sing the praises of Chicago bike shops, except for
    Cycle
    > > Smithy on N. Clark, which is a gem. Most Chicago shops I've frequented
    have
    > > been high-pressure high-priced fast-talking establishments with much
    more
    > > hype than help. Either that, or they're far too busy being elite to
    actually
    > > talk to you (Turin).
    > >
    > > As for online catalog shop prices vs. retail storefront shop prices,
    there
    > > is a *huge* difference - as you have seen. Quite frankly, if retail
    shops
    > > can't give good advice, and can't give good service AND their prices are ridiculous - why would
    > > I ever shop there? Answer: I wouldn't.
    > >
    > > Before you give up on Chicago retail bike shops, try Cycle Smithy. They might change your mind;
    > > but don't expect them to match online prices.
    Most
    > > shops won't.

    It's called "Barnard's Schwinn" and they're good people. They can't compete in pricing with us
    though and, while you're in the neighborhood, you might as well skip on down to Lake and Ridgeland
    and get abused for a great price!

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  10. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So I desparately needed a saddle as my Ti Flite is very uncomfortable having not been on a bike
    > for a while. Well today I bought San Italia XO Trans Am but not thinking at the time and being in
    > need of a saddle I was charged $105 for this Saddle. I feel this price is a tad over list price.
    >
    > Now, I know that this saddle is available for considerably less online .. I've seen it as low as
    > $15 on price point. But it's sickens me that bicycle shops will charge a customer what they knowis
    > an exhorbitant amount of money on top of what this thing cost. Now I'm not stupid I know bike
    > stores have to make some money but they really should be thinking repeat business not just a one
    > time rip off.
    >
    > Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of customers
    > like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but since I
    > bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item there was
    > no price tag on the thing.
    >
    > This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth over all.
    >
    > I use to wear Large Hardwear Mountain XL shorts and I guess the shammy in those was much better in
    > the current Pearl Izumi Cycling shorts I have at the moment because any saddle I try at the moment
    > just seems to be quite uncomfortable.

    "Victim" syndrome.

    Quitcherbitchin'. You should have shopped around to compare prices, first of all. Secondly, most
    bike shops have much higher overhead than most mailorder shops, so you expect to pay more. Thirdly,
    your approach is silly. Anyone who hasn't been on the bike in while will get a sore ass. It's not
    the fault of your saddle, but your reasoning and inability to tolerate some pain.

    --

  11. Robert Nicholson wrote:
    > So I desparately needed a saddle as my Ti Flite is very uncomfortable having not been on a bike
    > for a while. Well today I bought San Italia XO Trans Am but not thinking at the time and being in
    > need of a saddle I was charged $105 for this Saddle. I feel this price is a tad over list price.
    >
    > Now, I know that this saddle is available for considerably less online .. I've seen it as low as
    > $15 on price point. But it's sickens me that bicycle shops will charge a customer what they knowis
    > an exhorbitant amount of money on top of what this thing cost. Now I'm not stupid I know bike
    > stores have to make some money but they really should be thinking repeat business not just a one
    > time rip off.
    >
    > Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of customers
    > like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but since I
    > bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item there was
    > no price tag on the thing.

    I've been in and out of the bike biz for quite a few years, seen lots of shops, and have never
    encountered any serious "dishonesty" in any of them. The bike biz is not that lucrative; crooks are
    more likely to deal in more profitable merchandise.

    Selle Italia makes a bewildering variety of models. There are high-end aftermarket models sold to
    retailers through wholesalers, and there are also OEM models supplied to bike companies. The OEM
    models often have a strong resemblance to aftermarket models, but are generally a _lot_ cheaper.

    My guess is that you bought a OEM saddle that had been taken off of a new, high-end bike. The shop
    person probably wasn't sure what to charge you, and looked it up in a wholesale catalogue. Finding
    an apparently similar model, he based his price on that. He probably didn't notice that the OEM
    saddle had steel rails while the aftermarket one had titanium rails.

    Sheldon "Mistakes Aren't Always Malicious" Brown
    | Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice |
    | that which is adequately explained by stupidity." |
    +-----------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

  12. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > So I desparately needed a saddle as my Ti Flite is very uncomfortable having not been on a bike
    > > for a while. Well today I bought San Italia XO Trans Am but not thinking at the time and being
    > > in need of a saddle I was charged $105 for this Saddle. I feel this price is a tad over list
    > > price.
    > >
    > > Now, I know that this saddle is available for considerably less online .. I've seen it as low as
    > > $15 on price point. But it's sickens me that bicycle shops will charge a customer what they
    > > knowis an exhorbitant amount of money on top of what this thing cost. Now I'm not stupid I know
    > > bike stores have to make some money but they really should be thinking repeat business not just
    > > a one time rip off.
    > >
    > > Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of
    > > customers like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but
    > > since I bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item
    > > there was no price tag on the thing.
    > >
    > > This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth over all.
    > >
    > > I use to wear Large Hardwear Mountain XL shorts and I guess the shammy in those was much better
    > > in the current Pearl Izumi Cycling shorts I have at the moment because any saddle I try at the
    > > moment just seems to be quite uncomfortable.
    > >

    > "Victim" syndrome.
    >
    > Quitcherbitchin'. You should have shopped around to compare prices, first of all.

    Agreed.

    > Secondly, most bike shops have much higher overhead than most mailorder shops, so you expect to
    > pay more.

    Yes. That's why I don't shop storefront retail much. Useful for some, but not for me.

    > Thirdly, your approach is silly. Anyone who hasn't been on the bike in while will get a sore ass.
    > It's not the fault of your saddle, but your reasoning and inability to tolerate some pain.

    Hold on a minute. I don't buy this "biking has to be painful" thing. Even if you don't ride a
    recumbent (which is *very* comfortable), saddles have become more tush-friendly in recent years. I
    agree with the assertion that you have to "toughen up your tush" in order to ride comfortably; but
    if you've already done that, and are still in pain, then something is wrong, and it's time to find a
    better saddle.

    I'm having very good luck with these saddles currently: Terry Liberator, Velo Plush, Wilderness
    Trail Bikes SST-K, Bontrager FS+10 (just bought 2 more of these on Ebay for $6/ea) and Nashbar's
    copy of the Specialized Body Geometry saddles (made by Velo). I find that the prostate/soft tissue
    cutouts on modern saddles do make a difference. But I also am of the belief that thin padding is not
    bad, and that smooth leather on a saddle and a lack of bumps from seams or embroidery is desireable.

    If you want that super-sleek racing saddle look, the good ol' Selle Italia Flite is hard to beat for
    comfort. I tried the Gel version, and preferred the original.

    -Barry

  13. Well the whole point of riding for me was to get back into some decent shape so I really wanted to
    do things in a methodical way and rethink the saddle as my old Izumi shorts with very light
    padding just aren't equipped for this saddle and most of the those available today. Today I went
    shopping for shorts and saddles and I found that saddles are getting less padded whilst the shorts
    have become more padded so the worst thing you can do is riding around with old shorts with a
    newer saddle.

    Today I went to Turin and although it wasn't that bad an experience I probably won't be going back
    anytime soon. The girl up there didn't treat me very well after I asked them questions after I'd
    left the store about the saddle I'd bought since I thought I was getting ti rails on the Flite Gel
    Trans Am that I was buying but it turned out that the box said manganese. But I remember being
    charged $80 which is the price on the box but the price on the saddle is $99. Anyway it looks to me
    as though they accidently charged me the the manganese price for the Ti saddle and since they didn't
    want anything to do with me after the sale that's fine by me.

    After that I stopped off at Cycle Smithy, actually whilst at Turin I tried on a pair of Assoc Bibs
    but there were the one that use mesh throughout the bib and it's very fragile and the sales
    assistant told me that this company is very picky about warranties so after trying those on I was a
    bit gun shy but once I got to cycle smithy I found a nice gal there who I showed my old Izumi
    panelled shorts to and she said that those are OLD so she showed me the top of the line Izumi bib
    and it fit like a glove and had the latest short design. She cut me quite a discount as I also
    bought a new set of speedplay cleats and tossed my UCS-3 adapters that I'd be using on my Carnac
    legends and just put the SIDI shim and cleat on and it looks like it's going to be much more
    comfortable. Actually whilst in the store a guy came in and wanted to try on road shoes and he tried
    on SIDI (non Megas) and Carnacs and he couldn't find a pair that fit him nicely. Since he wore the
    same size shoe as me I invited him to try on my Legends and he couldn't believe how much more
    comfortable they were.

    So, it turns on Carnac doesn't make a shoe as comfortable as the Legend any more.

    Tomorrow I hope to get out and actually get some riding done.

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Robert Nicholson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > So I desparately needed a saddle as my Ti Flite is very uncomfortable having not been on a bike
    > > for a while. Well today I bought San Italia XO Trans Am but not thinking at the time and being
    > > in need of a saddle I was charged $105 for this Saddle. I feel this price is a tad over list
    > > price.
    > >
    > > Now, I know that this saddle is available for considerably less online .. I've seen it as low as
    > > $15 on price point. But it's sickens me that bicycle shops will charge a customer what they
    > > knowis an exhorbitant amount of money on top of what this thing cost. Now I'm not stupid I know
    > > bike stores have to make some money but they really should be thinking repeat business not just
    > > a one time rip off.
    > >
    > > Perhaps I live in a world where I would hope sales staff didn't try to take advantage of
    > > customers like this. I was receiving helping advice and the sales guy appeared to be sincere but
    > > since I bought a saddle that came on another bike. ie. it wasn't sold a separately ordered item
    > > there was no price tag on the thing.
    > >
    > > This experience has left a sour taste in my mouth over all.
    > >
    > > I use to wear Large Hardwear Mountain XL shorts and I guess the shammy in those was much better
    > > in the current Pearl Izumi Cycling shorts I have at the moment because any saddle I try at the
    > > moment just seems to be quite uncomfortable.
    > >

    > "Victim" syndrome.
    >
    > Quitcherbitchin'. You should have shopped around to compare prices, first of all. Secondly, most
    > bike shops have much higher overhead than most mailorder shops, so you expect to pay more.
    > Thirdly, your approach is silly. Anyone who hasn't been on the bike in while will get a sore ass.
    > It's not the fault of your saddle, but your reasoning and inability to tolerate some pain.

  14. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I'm having very good luck with these saddles currently: Terry Liberator, Velo Plush, Wilderness
    > Trail Bikes SST-K, Bontrager FS+10 (just bought 2 more of these on Ebay for $6/ea) and Nashbar's
    > copy of the Specialized Body Geometry saddles (made by Velo).

    if i may ask- which model is nashbar's BG copy? my favorite saddle is a specialized BG, which i
    got for seriously cheap. i'd love a good knock off, but couldnt pin it down on nashbar. maybe i
    missed it?

    thanks

  15. On Sun, 25 May 2003 17:18:37 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My guess is that you bought a OEM saddle that had been taken off of a new, high-end bike. The shop
    >person probably wasn't sure what to charge you, and looked it up in a wholesale catalogue. Finding
    >an apparently similar model, he based his price on that. He probably didn't notice that the OEM
    >saddle had steel rails while the aftermarket one had titanium rails.

    Or he thought 'there's one born every minute', and did same deliberately. Not really any way to know
    either way.

    Then again, "Never attribute to malice what can be explained by simple stupidity".

    Jasper

  16. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "ant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I'm having very good luck with these saddles currently: Terry
    Liberator,
    > > Velo Plush, Wilderness Trail Bikes SST-K, Bontrager FS+10 (just bought 2 more of these on Ebay
    > > for $6/ea) and Nashbar's copy of the Specialized
    Body
    > > Geometry saddles (made by Velo).
    >
    > if i may ask- which model is nashbar's BG copy? my favorite saddle is a specialized BG, which i
    > got for seriously cheap. i'd love a good knock off, but couldnt pin it down on nashbar. maybe i
    > missed it?

    The current name is the Nashbar 2x Plus Gel Men's Touring saddle. It feels (to me) exactly like the
    Specialized Body Geometry Comp saddle (the wide, thick one).

    Barry