Are there competitive Asian Cyclists

DOS

Jan 11, 2004
I t seems that most mountainous countries or regions -- no matter how small -- are represented year in and year out in the grand tours -- think Colombians, Basques, etc. With Japan producing one of the major gruppos and being a rather mountainous place, it would seem logical that Japan would have produced a world class cyclist or two. Same perhaps could be said for Korea and Taiwan. Can anyone name an Asian cyclist who has been successful on the pro circuit. Just curious.

Originally posted by DOS
I t seems that most mountainous countries or regions -- no matter how small -- are represented year in and year out in the grand tours -- think Colombians, Basques, etc. With Japan producing one of the major gruppos and being a rather mountainous place, it would seem logical that Japan would have produced a world class cyclist or two. Same perhaps could be said for Korea and Taiwan. Can anyone name an Asian cyclist who has been successful on the pro circuit. Just curious.

Kyung Bang Song and Kam Po Wong go alright

The only top competitive japanse riders are track sprinters, especially keirin riders. Mainly because of the widespread keirin racing and the betting that goes with it in Japan.

There's ARNEL QUIRIMIT of the Philippines. He's in the pro-circuit in this country and also shows up in the Tour of Langkawi in Malaysia. I hear he's joining the Olympics as part of the national team.

The Japaneae are coming

I believe Bridgestone who are making ANCHOR road bikes are priming a team for the 2006 Tour De France.

I have seen them race twice now and they are riding like machines... fast machines...

It will be interesting to see their debut. They probably won't set the world on fire but they are going abiout this very seriously and they won't enter a team that will disgrace their product line. I hope they do well... (They have a few foreigners on the team as well)....

Unfortuantely it doesn't look like I'm going to make the cut....

:D