Are there custom duties purchasing a bike online from USA

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Downhill Jonny, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. Downhill Jonny

    Downhill Jonny New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
    The prices on the internet are so good, that even with the shipping cost to Australia, you get better value ordering from some of the sites in the US.

    Are there custom duties for bringing in a fully kitted bike, including wheels and some extras (shoes, computer, cages etc)

    Besides the after sales sevice what is the downside to buying online?

    Tags:

  2. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Downhill Jonny wrote:

    > The prices on the internet are so good, that even with the shipping
    > cost to Australia, you get better value ordering from some of the
    > sites in the US.

    > Are there custom duties for bringing in a fully kitted bike, including
    > wheels and some extras (shoes, computer, cages etc)

    > Besides the after sales sevice what is the downside to buying online?

    The only import tax payable on a bike is GST. On a complete bike, you're likely to incur this cost. Individual parts generally get by without paying any duties, as long as the shipment isn't over either $500 or $1000 (depending on who you listen to).

    One gotcha: Avoid DHL. They bill you for GST, then bill you a "processing fee". I copped this on a set of forks. The GST was $30, and the processing fee $80. Not happy Jan. I note that the online mob involved (Totalcycling) actually listened to my email whinge about DHL, and now have a parcelforce (=royal mail) option for shipment to Aust.

    Shipping a whole bike is likely to be a reasonably expensive exercise, especially considering that it's generally the components and not whole bikes that Aust. importers love to gouge on. I usually only buy components etc on the net, and get larger stuff (for me this only equates to rims) locally.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  3. Downhill Jonny

    Downhill Jonny New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
    ;) Thanks for the advice Suzy. Do you know any shops in Sydney (eastern Suburbs) that stock FSA compnents (handlebars, stems, seatposts)?