rec.bicycles.rides · Public discussion

Are There Italian Maps For a PDA?

Started by Gary K. · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,230 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides
Published
11 April 2004
Last activity
25 April 2004
Original author
Gary K.
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,230
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm going to Italy and I like the 1:200,000 maps so I can go on the back
    roads but that means I have to take about 8 of them. The space and weight
    of these maps make them prohibitive.

    So I'm thinking that it would be great if all these maps could be loaded
    in a PDA thing like a Palm Pilot. Does anyone know?

    -Gary

  2. Check out the Garmin iQue 3600. If you get it in USA you get
    detailed maps for the US and have to pay extra for Europe,
    and vice-versa.

    See their website for details, tho. I'm off to Finland this
    summer and they don't have much coverage there.

    George

    Gary K. said:

    I'm going to Italy and I like the 1:200,000 maps so I can go on the back
    roads but that means I have to take about 8 of them. The space and weight
    of these maps make them prohibitive.

    So I'm thinking that it would be great if all these maps could be loaded
    in a PDA thing like a Palm Pilot. Does anyone know?

    -Gary

    --
    Munged email address.

  3. Don't necessarily disagree with the answer re: digital vs. paper but if
    you want to pursue maps of Italy on a PDA, see
    <http://www.destinator1.com/>

    Cappy

    On 12 Apr 2004 14:46:34 -0700, Rick Warner <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Gary K.) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going to Italy and I like the 1:200,000 maps so I can go on the back
    roads but that means I have to take about 8 of them. The space and
    weight
    of these maps make them prohibitive.

    So I'm thinking that it would be great if all these maps could be loaded
    in a PDA thing like a Palm Pilot. Does anyone know?

    -Gary

    I understand the desire to ditch the roadmaps; I will be carrying 4 of
    them
    myself this June when in northern Italy. I do carry a GPS unit, with
    all the
    detailed maps for northern Italy and Switzerland downloaded into the
    unit.
    Great resource. But I still carry the paper. First problem, the
    electronic
    devices are electronic, and can fail. Battery power loss, LCD display
    craps
    out, someone steals it, etc. Not good to depend solely on the electronic
    marvels; they will fail you at the most inopportune time. Second
    problem is
    scope. If I am travelling between two towns I want to see a good
    overview
    of the area. I can see that easily on paper maps. But on the electronic
    version I may not see enough detail to get a good sense of available
    roads
    until I zoom in quite a bit, but by then I have a very narrow view of the
    area. So I have to pan, zoom, pan, zoom, pan, etc., which is a pain. A
    3"x4" LCD panel will not give you a good view of very much terrain; you
    have
    an alternative of a very gross look with major roads only, or detail of a
    very limited area. I find both difficult to use for route planning. So
    I
    use the paper for all the route planning, then the GPS for navigation.
    If
    the electronic gadget fails, I can still fall back on the paper.

    - rick

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.