rec.bicycles.rides archive · Public discussion

Are There Italian Maps For a PDA?

Started by Gary K. · · Last activity · 4 posts · 1,397 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.bicycles.rides archive
Published
11 April 2004
Last activity
26 April 2004
Original author
Gary K.
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,397
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm going to Italy and I like the 1:200,000 maps so I can go
    on the back roads but that means I have to take about 8 of
    them. The space and weight of these maps make them
    prohibitive.

    So I'm thinking that it would be great if all these maps
    could be loaded in a PDA thing like a Palm Pilot. Does
    anyone know?

    -Gary

  2. Check out the Garmin iQue 3600. If you get it in USA you get
    detailed maps for the US and have to pay extra for Europe,
    and vice-versa.

    See their website for details, tho. I'm off to Finland this
    summer and they don't have much coverage there.

    George

    Gary K. said:

    I'm going to Italy and I like the 1:200,000 maps so I can
    go on the back roads but that means I have to take about 8
    of them. The space and weight of these maps make them
    prohibitive.

    So I'm thinking that it would be great if all these maps
    could be loaded in a PDA thing like a Palm Pilot. Does
    anyone know?

    -Gary

    --
    Munged email address.

  3. [email hidden] (Gary K.) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going to Italy and I like the 1:200,000 maps so I can
    go on the back roads but that means I have to take about 8
    of them. The space and weight of these maps make them
    prohibitive.

    So I'm thinking that it would be great if all these maps
    could be loaded in a PDA thing like a Palm Pilot. Does
    anyone know?

    -Gary

    I understand the desire to ditch the roadmaps; I will be
    carrying 4 of them myself this June when in northern Italy.
    I do carry a GPS unit, with all the detailed maps for
    northern Italy and Switzerland downloaded into the unit.
    Great resource. But I still carry the paper. First problem,
    the electronic devices are electronic, and can fail. Battery
    power loss, LCD display craps out, someone steals it, etc.
    Not good to depend solely on the electronic marvels; they
    will fail you at the most inopportune time. Second problem
    is scope. If I am travelling between two towns I want to see
    a good overview of the area. I can see that easily on paper
    maps. But on the electronic version I may not see enough
    detail to get a good sense of available roads until I zoom
    in quite a bit, but by then I have a very narrow view of the
    area. So I have to pan, zoom, pan, zoom, pan, etc., which is
    a pain. A 3"x4" LCD panel will not give you a good view of
    very much terrain; you have an alternative of a very gross
    look with major roads only, or detail of a very limited
    area. I find both difficult to use for route planning. So I
    use the paper for all the route planning, then the GPS for
    navigation. If the electronic gadget fails, I can still fall
    back on the paper.

    - rick

  4. Don't necessarily disagree with the answer re: digital vs. paper but if
    you want to pursue maps of Italy on a PDA, see
    <http://www.destinator1.com/>

    Cappy

    Rick Warner said:

    [email hidden] (Gary K.) wrote in message news:<gary55406-1004041931440001@cpe-65-25-244-
    203.mn.rr.com>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm going to Italy and I like the 1:200,000 maps so I can
    go on the back roads but that means I have to take about
    8 of them. The space and weight of these maps make them
    prohibitive.

    So I'm thinking that it would be great if all these maps
    could be loaded in a PDA thing like a Palm Pilot. Does
    anyone know?

    -Gary

    I understand the desire to ditch the roadmaps; I will be
    carrying 4 of them myself this June when in northern
    Italy. I do carry a GPS unit, with all the detailed maps
    for northern Italy and Switzerland downloaded into the
    unit. Great resource. But I still carry the paper. First
    problem, the electronic devices are electronic, and can
    fail. Battery power loss, LCD display craps out, someone
    steals it, etc. Not good to depend solely on the
    electronic marvels; they will fail you at the most
    inopportune time. Second problem is scope. If I am
    travelling between two towns I want to see a good overview
    of the area. I can see that easily on paper maps. But on
    the electronic version I may not see enough detail to get
    a good sense of available roads until I zoom in quite a
    bit, but by then I have a very narrow view of the area. So
    I have to pan, zoom, pan, zoom, pan, etc., which is a
    pain. A 3"x4" LCD panel will not give you a good view of
    very much terrain; you have an alternative of a very gross
    look with major roads only, or detail of a very limited
    area. I find both difficult to use for route planning. So
    I use the paper for all the route planning, then the GPS
    for navigation. If the electronic gadget fails, I can
    still fall back on the paper.

    - rick

    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
    opera.comm2

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.