Are these average speeds any good?

fowlerstevie

Jan 18, 2007
Been riding now for just over a year and love the sport so much. Been riding with a few friends but we are begineers. I was just wondering if my Average riding speeds are any good?

40 miles: 16.4mph...Course is flat, small incline & decline in some areas but mainly flat

fowlerstevie said:
Been riding now for just over a year and love the sport so much. Been riding with a few friends but we are begineers. I was just wondering if my Average riding speeds are any good?

40 miles: 16.4mph...Course is flat, small incline & decline in some areas but mainly flat
It doesn't matter what anyone says about your average speeds. I might average over 20mph for that distance, but then the next guy might average 30. It depends what your goals are. If you want to race, then you'll need to get your speeds higher. If it's to keep fit, enjoy time with your mates and enjoy cycling...then who cares how fast you're going. Enjoy. ;)

fowlerstevie said:
...was just wondering if my Average riding speeds are any good?

"Good", for what?

Faster than some, slower than others.

As far as I'm concerned, any adult who goes out and rides his bicycle on a regular basis is doing "good".

Bob

also depends on the bike you have, some bikes allow you to go alot faster, alot easier than other bikes.

I average 14 MPH with a dawes gyro 300 bike, with some BIG hills. (guess it compensates on the way back)

doesnt sound bad to me.

What you need to do now is pick up the pace a little bit, maybe make it a longer distance and see if you can increase it ;) Thats when you know you're making real improvements

I would say that is pretty good when you look back at what you might have achieved only a year ago! The downside is, on the flat, a serious amateur will be able to hold 20-25mph over that distance reasonably comfortably given the right conditions.

Interestingly, not much of this extra speed is to be gained with a better or lighter bike. Since 1903, average Tour de France speed has only increased by 15kph. (9mph)! Considering during this time the derailleur and aluminium was invented and Stage length has decreased steadily each year by a whopping 200km, it just goes to show that the bike has very little to do with it! I mean can you imagine riding a fixed wheel iron bike that weighs 3 or 4 times as much as today’s featherweights for 400km everyday and still average 25-30kmh! Those 1900’s guys used to even stop and have lunch in a café with a bottle of wine too! Those were the days eh!

webbhost said:
also depends on the bike you have, some bikes allow you to go alot faster, alot easier than other bikes.

I average 14 MPH with a dawes gyro 300 bike, with some BIG hills. (guess it compensates on the way back)

doesnt sound bad to me.

What you need to do now is pick up the pace a little bit, maybe make it a longer distance and see if you can increase it ;) Thats when you know you're making real improvements
Thank you all for the replys, i have now got my average speeds on the same course upto 17.7 with just hard training, plus it's been a little windy..

Ordering new bike next week so hope to be hitting 20mph within 4 months..

Antway thank you all very much.

fowlerstevie said:
Thank you all for the replys, i have now got my average speeds on the same course upto 17.7 with just hard training, plus it's been a little windy..

It is amazing how much you can pick up speed buy working that little bit more. There is a section in a loop that I do and if I am not paying attention I can end up doing 25km/h along it (rough surface slight incline) but when I actually pay attention I ride it at 35km/h + without much more percieved effort.

It seems to be a dead zone for me every ride (even if I do it first). :confused:

Great job. Let us know how you progress on your quest for 20 mph.

There is an old saying that if you want to race at 25 mph you have to train faster than 25 mph. So, try doing shorter rides at speeds above 20 mph. Hopefully this will get you to your goal faster.

fowlerstevie said:

I was at 16.3 mph ave on a 40 mile ride at the end of last year (my first full season of riding). I have very hilly terain. Not many flats. I do have 1 flat that is 1.5 miles long if I ride that route. When I switched to a new lighter bike, I did gain about 1.5 miles per hour, that was due mainly to the bike being lighter and more areodynamic. so don't expect a large gain in speed just because of a new bike. but read the other threads and give every tip a try. I found several tips on tackling hills. some work for me, some don't. Clipping in to the pedals will help. But losing excess weight and gaining muscle through riding is the best way. Also cadence and peddling technique will make a big difference. And try different routes. Sometime the best scenery change is to ride a familar route in the opposite direction.