Are these forks bent?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tags:

  2. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    >
    >These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :

    No chance. Bike has been in a head-on collision.

    --Paul

  4. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:35:29 +0100, "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    >
    >These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :
    >
    >http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana.htm
    >
    >http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana1.htm
    >
    >(Bike rescued from a river!)

    Yes, they're bent. Look how close the wheel comes to the frame.

    The rear wheel rim shows signs of impact as well.

    I would recommend reporting your find to the local police. There is a good chance that the condition
    of the bike indicates a traffic accident was involved, and there is reason to suspect that they will
    want to see the unit.

  5. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    >
    > These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :

    Look bent to me, I can imagine some piece of exotica having fancy forks but don't think it applies
    in this case. As a test fit a tyre and see if there is front wheel/feet overlap, a dead giveaway.

    Pete

  7. Werehatrack wrote:

    > I would recommend reporting your find to the local police. There is a good chance that the
    > condition of the bike indicates a traffic accident was involved, and there is reason to suspect
    > that they will want to see the unit.

    It's probably just been dumped...if it had been in an accident I doubt anyone would have bothered to
    unbolt the front wheel (don't think these things have QR) and take the tyre off!

  8. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As a test fit a tyre and see if there is front wheel/feet overlap, a dead giveaway.

    ?? My custom built tourer has had wheel/feet overlap from new. I'd agree that the forks in question
    are bent but your test doesn't prove anything.

    Tim

  9. Swampy

    Swampy Guest

  10. Chris Fryer

    Chris Fryer Guest

    are these forks bent?!

    is the pope a catholic?! They're bent as bent as bent. absolutely bent. don't ride on them- when
    forks go, you really know about it.
    --
    -- Chris

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > As a test fit a tyre and see if there is front wheel/feet overlap, a
    dead
    > > giveaway.
    >
    > ?? My custom built tourer has had wheel/feet overlap from new. I'd agree that the forks in
    > question are bent but your test doesn't prove anything.
    >
    > Tim

  11. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,

    Reply from u.r.c.

    Bent as a nine bob note :)

    --
    Mark (MSA)

    Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

  12. Kovie

    Kovie Guest

    Rake goes forward. These forks have that, in addition to the bend that goes back. They're both raked
    and bent. The same thing happened to my fork and they look just like these. I've been told that I'd
    be risking life, limb and face by riding these, so they've been retired.

    --
    Kovie [email protected]

    "Swampy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Bent
    >
    > it's called "rake"

  13. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  14. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:28:45 +0000, Peter B wrote:

    > As a test fit a tyre and see if there is front wheel/feet overlap, a dead giveaway.

    Lots of bikes have front wheel/foot overlap, without being bent. This bike was crashed.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you _`\(,_ | killed all of us?
    From every corner of Europe, hundreds, (_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places.
    Even Nazis can't kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

  15. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:40:01 +0000, Swampy wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Bent
    >
    > it's called "rake"

    No, that is called the result of a head-on crash.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're _`\(,_ | still a rat. --Lilly
    Tomlin (_)/ (_) |

  16. "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > As a test fit a tyre and see if there is front wheel/feet overlap, a
    dead
    > > giveaway.
    >
    > ?? My custom built tourer has had wheel/feet overlap from new. I'd agree that the forks in
    > question are bent but your test doesn't prove anything.

    Agreed. My road bike has about 3 or 4 inches of overlap and the forks are very not bent.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  17. Chris B .

    Chris B . Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:48:37 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:40:01 +0000, Swampy wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bent
    >>
    >> it's called "rake"
    >
    >No, that is called the result of a head-on crash.

    Perhaps because of a carelessly placed rake?

  18. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    >
    > These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana.htm
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana1.htm
    >
    > (Bike rescued from a river!)
    >
    > cheers ~PB

    Dear Pete,

    Did you rescue this bike from the river by trolling?

    (Sorry, couldn't resist it. Put the poor thing back.)

    Carl Fogel

  19. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Werehatrack wrote:
    >
    > > I would recommend reporting your find to the local police. There is a good chance that the
    > > condition of the bike indicates a traffic accident was involved, and there is reason to suspect
    > > that they will want to see the unit.
    >
    > It's probably just been dumped...if it had been in an accident I doubt anyone would have bothered
    > to unbolt the front wheel (don't think these things have QR) and take the tyre off!

    It does have a QR on the front wheel actually. Simon

  20. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana.htm
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana1.htm

    Well bent. But then it *is* a Raleigh Team Banana...

    (dies)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/