Are these forks bent?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Peter Amey

    Peter Amey Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    >
    > These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :

    They look fairly upright or diamond frame to me :)

    Peter

  2. Absolutely knackered which is why it was in the pond! Regards, John.
    PS Put it back where you found it?

  3. "Sorni" <[email protected]>typed

    > "Pete Biggs" <pbiggmellon{remove_fruit}[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    > >
    > > These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :
    > >
    > > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana1.htm

    > Downright priapistic. (If it ain't a word it oughtta be :)

    > Bill "and that rear wheel seems a tad askew, too" S.

    Peyronie's Disease!?!?

  4. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    >
    > These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana.htm
    >
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana1.htm

    If you imagine the front wheel with a tyre mounted, you can see that the clearance between tyre and
    down tube would be a tad tight.

    If it has been front-ended then it's quite a well-balanced frameset, whatever grade of steel it's
    made from. 531ST framesets are notorious for buckling at the top and down tubes, with the heavy fork
    completely unscathed - this is a rather more expensive repair.

  5. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:04:31 +0100, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Pete Biggs wrote:
    >
    >> Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    >>
    >> These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :
    >>
    >> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana1.htm
    >
    >If you imagine the front wheel with a tyre mounted, you can see that the clearance between tyre and
    >down tube would be a tad tight.

    If you were a 70's tester it might be an ideal frame

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephenmcginty/alf.jpg

    Regards! Stephen

  6. On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:04:31 +0100, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Pete Biggs wrote:
    >
    >> Hello r.b.t readers from u.r.c,
    >>
    >> These forks look well bent to me but is there a chance that they are supposed to be like this? :
    >>
    >> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana.htm
    >>
    >> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbanana1.htm
    >
    >If you imagine the front wheel with a tyre mounted, you can see that the clearance between tyre and
    >down tube would be a tad tight.

    If you were a 70's tester it might be an ideal frame

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stephenmcginty/alf.jpg

    Regards! Stephen

  7. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Downright priapistic. (If it ain't a word it oughtta be :)

    > --
    > Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

    Hey, no need to swear :)

    --
    Mark (MSA)

    Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

  8. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Downright priapistic. (If it ain't a word it oughtta be :)

    > --
    > Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

    Hey, no need to swear :)

    --
    Mark (MSA)

    Bike shop assistant... "We couldn't repair your brakes, so we made your horn louder"!

  9. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "John, Pauline & Hannah." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Absolutely knackered which is why it was in the pond!

    Estuary actually!

    > Regards, John.
    > PS Put it back where you found it?

    Certainly not -it's a criminal offence to chuck scrap into a SSSI.

    Simon

  10. Simon Mason

  11. David L. Johnson wrote:

    > Lots of bikes have front wheel/foot overlap, without being bent. This bike was crashed.

    As an aside, the British Standard 6102/1 now prohibits toe clip overlap (small framebuilders can get
    away with it as there are a few exemptions such as pure racing bikes, tandems and trikes). The
    Raleigh would definitely fall into the volume category, but may predate this rule.

    The forks look pretty buggered to me anyway.

  12. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > As a test fit a tyre and see if there is front wheel/feet overlap, a
    dead
    > > giveaway.
    >
    > ?? My custom built tourer has had wheel/feet overlap from new. I'd agree that the forks in
    > question are bent but your test doesn't prove anything.

    Interesting. How much with the ball of your foot over the pedal axle?

    Pete

  13. Simon Mason wrote:

    > "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >>It's probably just been dumped...if it had been in an accident I doubt anyone would have bothered
    >>to unbolt the front wheel (don't think these things have QR) and take the tyre off!
    >

    > It does have a QR on the front wheel actually.

    Oh well, I'd still be surprised if anyone went to the trouble. It's probably like old cars - they're
    worth absolutely nothing as scrap, and if you live a long way from the tip or don't have any means
    of transporting it, throwing the bike in a river probably makes sense to some people.

    In my misspent youth we found a Raleigh Shopper in the undergrowth of a neighbour's garden - he
    didn't even know it was there and let us keep it! With 4' cow horns it made a fairly good jump bike
    until the frame snapped two weeks later.

  14. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Agreed. My road bike has about 3 or 4 inches of overlap and the forks are very not bent.

    I stand corrected but must say I'm surprised at the amount you have. After reading these
    corrections to my assertion I went and checked my own 56cm road bike and found no overlap
    whatsover. My last road bike, 54cm, allowed my toes to brush the front tyre. I appreciate different
    frame sizes allied with different geometry will give different overlap results but am amazed you
    have 4 inches of overlap.

    Pete

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > These forks look well bent to me

    As a nine bob note.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  16. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > Agreed. My road bike has about 3 or 4 inches of overlap and the forks are very not bent.
    >

    > I stand corrected but must say I'm surprised at the amount you have. After reading these
    > corrections to my assertion I went and checked my own 56cm road bike and found no overlap
    > whatsover. My last road bike, 54cm, allowed my toes to brush the front tyre.
    >
    > I appreciate different frame sizes allied with different geometry will give different overlap
    > results but am amazed you have 4 inches of overlap.
    >
    > Pete

    Dear Pete,

    I agree that 4 inches foot-and-front-wheel overlap is amazing.

    In addition to a foreshortened-from-normal front-frame, a few other factors might contribute to
    tripping over our own front wheels: a too-small frame to start with, the slight length increase in
    extra-long cranks, and feet like Krusty the Klown.

    Two out of three apply to me (I'm not saying which), so I may have to go do some turtle-paced turns
    in the driveway to see if I'm in danger. As you suggest elsewhere, standing on the ball of the foot
    is likely to avoid stubbing a toe.

    Carl Fogel

  17. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    > "John, Pauline & Hannah." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Absolutely knackered which is why it was in the pond!
    >
    > Estuary actually!
    >
    > > Regards, John.
    > > PS Put it back where you found it?
    >
    > Certainly not -it's a criminal offence to chuck scrap into a SSSI.
    >
    > Simon

    Dear Simon,

    SSSI?

    An unlettered yankee,

    Carl Fogel

  18. W K

    W K Guest

    "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "John, Pauline & Hannah." <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Absolutely knackered which is why it was in the pond!
    > >
    > > Estuary actually!
    > >
    > > > Regards, John.
    > > > PS Put it back where you found it?
    > >
    > > Certainly not -it's a criminal offence to chuck scrap into a SSSI.
    > >
    > > Simon
    >
    > Dear Simon,
    >
    > SSSI?

    Site of Special Scientific Interest. as in the kind of place ideal to build a new road through.

  19. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > SSSI?

    A Site of Special Scientific Interest, I think.

    Mark

  20. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest