Are these forks bent?

"John, Pauline & Hannah." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Absolutely knackered which is why it was in the pond! Regards, John.
> PS Put it back where you found it?

I'm staging a hungerstrike until I can find an Englishman to say that to me in person.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:48:37 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:40:01 +0000, Swampy wrote:
>
>> In article <l1Akb.3321$B_2.347@okepread02>,
>> "frank121" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Bent
>>
>> it's called "rake"
>
>No, that is called the result of a head-on crash.

As also seen on my bike when I cycled into the back of a dangerously fast parked car. My
fault, M'Lud?

It is quite hard to tell from Pete's pics. Also, if you're convinced the forks are bent, the more
likely it is you'll think they are - even if they're not. If the forks really are damaged you'll
soon notice a steering problem. When I had my bike repaired - new forks, new headset, new pretty
much everything at the front - the riding was quite strange as I'd become used to riding a
bent-forked bike.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:30:27 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Site of Special Scientific Interest.

IE, the greater spotted lesser Livingstone newt bat lives nearby.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

[snip]

So in the UK "SSSI" stands for Site of Special Scientific Interest, meaning in this case some
so-far-nameless estuary? And you guys gave us Shakespeare?

Before I click on the deuglify button, let's see . . .

"Lines composed a few miles above Tintern Abbey on revisiting the banks of the SSSI during a tour.
July 13, 1798"

No, it doesn't really improve Wordsworth. Let's try again . . .

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A stately pleasure dome decree: Where Alph, the sacred SSSI, ran . . .

It just doesn't sound like Coleridge. One more chance . . .

Sweet Swan of Avon! what a sight it were To see thee in our SSSI yet appeare . . .

No, I can't see Jonson working this acronym into his elegy for Shakespeare--too much
goose-like hissing.

On the other hand, this sort of government-babble gave us "Yes, Minister" and "Yes, Prime Minister,"
so I suppose that there's a silver lining.

Carl Fogel

"Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> So in the UK "SSSI" stands for Site of Special Scientific Interest, meaning in this case some
> so-far-nameless estuary? And you guys gave us Shakespeare?

To treat a humorous post seriously (generally a mistake):

Although the Humber Estuary is devoid of many things, a name is not one of them.

An SSSI is an official designation which protects areas which have some unusual scientific merit,
such as the breeding grounds of rare species. Here's some info:
http://www.naturenet.net/status/sssi.html

You have them over the pond as well, but I think under a different acronym.

SSSI is simply an ETLA, and the existence of such does not indicate the decline of the English
language - probably.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

news:<[email protected]>...

> "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > So in the UK "SSSI" stands for Site of Special Scientific Interest, meaning in this case some
> > so-far-nameless estuary? And you guys gave us Shakespeare?

[snip]

> To treat a humorous post seriously (generally a mistake):
>
> Although the Humber Estuary is devoid of many things, a name is not one of them.
>
> An SSSI is an official designation which protects areas which have some unusual scientific merit,
> such as the breeding grounds of rare species. Here's some info:
> http://www.naturenet.net/status/sssi.html
>
> You have them over the pond as well, but I think under a different acronym.
>
> SSSI is simply an ETLA, and the existence of such does not indicate the decline of the English
> language - probably.

Dear Guy,

Aaaaargh! "SSSI is simply an ETLA . . ."

If'n ya don't watch out, yer gonna turn into a burey-crat!

What the hell's an ETLA?

(Google suggested some Finnish acronym resembling SSSI, but a possibly horrible coincidence showed
wETLAnd. I gave up when I began thinking of shETLAnd ponies.)

'Round these parts, we call 'em Wilderness Areas, like the Greenhorn Mountain Wildnerness Area,
which sounds fancier'n "park" and fools folks into thinking that I didn't ride motorcycles over the
peak in the early 1970's. The mountain lions like it.

(Nope, Greenhorn don't mean nuthin' about dudes 'r tenderfeet. Governor of Santa Fe got right tired
in th'late 1700's of them-there Comanches killin' everyone they couldn't rape, rob, 'r sell fer
slaves, so he whistled up some soldier-boys from down Old Mexico way, 'n they caught up with ol'
Cuerno Verde 'n kilt him dead, 'long with all th'men, women, 'n young'uns in th'band, right under
th'mountain. The chief couldn't hardly complain, got just what he liked to give out. 'Sides, they
named th'biggest heap'a dirt in sight after him'n'his green-painted buffalo-horn war-bonnet.)

Carl Fogel

P.S. Must have missed the Humber somewhere earlier in the thread. Maybe it was covered
with acronyms?

C.F.

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) writes:
> Aaaaargh! "SSSI is simply an ETLA . . ."

A TLA is a "Three Letter Acronym". Supposed to be a self-referencing joke. I would guess that an
ETLA is an "Extended TLA".

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: [email protected] PGP: finger [email protected] Web: www.colohan.com Phone:
(412)268-4751

Christopher Brian Colohan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Carl Fogel) writes:
> > Aaaaargh! "SSSI is simply an ETLA . . ."
>
> A TLA is a "Three Letter Acronym". Supposed to be a self-referencing joke. I would guess that an
> ETLA is an "Extended TLA".
>
> Chris

Dear Chris,

I bet you're right. Why do I have such bad luck with my search results? IIDHBLIWHALAA. (I assume the
acronym is self-explanatory.)

Here's what came up when I looked for ETLA, something about Finnish forest services:

etla Services Menu Forest information Finnish Forest Research Institute. SERVICES & PRODUCTS.
INTRODUCTION INFORMATION SERVICES MARKETING AND SALES CONTACT INFORMATION. www.metla.fi/palvelut/
palvelut-menu-tietopalvelut-en.htm - 4k - Oct 20, 2003 - Cached - Similar pages

Re: San Augustin Etla

Carl Fogel

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> P.S. Must have missed the Humber somewhere earlier in the thread. Maybe it was covered with
> acronyms?

I don't think it *was* in this thread Carl. It was mentioned in an original thread on urc, but only
referred to as a "river" here. BTW, this SSSI is not really like a national park. In this case,
it's given that status due to the rare wading birds and molluscs that live in the mudflats. Simon.

[email protected] (Carl Fogel) writes:

> [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> [snip]
>
> So in the UK "SSSI" stands for Site of Special Scientific Interest, meaning in this case some
> so-far-nameless estuary? And you guys gave us Shakespeare?

You simply don't understand British bureaucracy. It works like this. If you have a piece of
agricultural land, it has a certain economic value. If you find rare lesser polka-dotted titwitchers
nesting on it, it is of special scientific interest. If you designate it as being of Special
Scientific Interest, so that the farmer can't plough it up, overgraze it, drain it, reseed it or use
pesticides on it, it's economic value (obviously) drops. When you're planning the route of a new
road, you (obviously) seek to route it through areas with the least economic value. So....

Embarrasingly, this _still_ really is true. The problem has been noted and a change of policy will
be forthcoming, when the bureaucrats have worked out how to put an appropriate economic value on
scientific interest.

Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
;; the Worlock

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Carl Fogel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > So in the UK "SSSI" stands for Site of Special Scientific Interest, meaning in this case some
> > so-far-nameless estuary? And you guys gave us Shakespeare?
>
> SSSI is simply an ETLA, and the existence of such does not indicate the decline of the English
> language - probably.

Surely the mere existance of acronyms of any kind indicate the decline of the English language?

Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
;; the Worlock

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> > SSSI is simply an ETLA, and the existence of such does not indicate the decline of the English
> > language - probably.
>
> Surely the mere existance of acronyms of any kind indicate the decline of the English language?

There are worse things than excessive acronymificationism.

Christopher Brian Colohan wrote:
> [email protected] (Carl Fogel) writes:
>> Aaaaargh! "SSSI is simply an ETLA . . ."
>
> A TLA is a "Three Letter Acronym".

<pedant mode>

Except that it's not.

Acronym: a word formed from or based on the initial letters or syllables of other words, such as
radar (Acronym from radio detection and ranging).

Other examples, LASER (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation), UNESCO (United
Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), OXFAM (Oxford Committee for Famine
Relief) etc.

Now unless you pronouce TLAs as talaas, you can't really call it an acronym. What a TLA is is a
three letter abbreviation. </pedant mode>

Sorry about that. Can't always help myself.

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

"Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

snipped

> Now unless you pronouce TLAs as talaas, you can't really call it an
acronym.
> What a TLA is is a three letter abbreviation. </pedant mode>
>
> Sorry about that. Can't always help myself.
>
> Tim

Don't worry, I loved it.
___
Michael MacClancy

"W K" <[email protected]>typed

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:

> > > SSSI is simply an ETLA, and the existence of such does not indicate the decline of the English
> > > language - probably.
> >
> > Surely the mere existance of acronyms of any kind indicate the decline of the English language?

> There are worse things than excessive acronymificationism.

Like my medical colleagues with that rather painful polydiplomatosis...

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:48:37 -0400, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 15:40:01 +0000, Swampy wrote:

> >> it's called "rake"
> >
> >No, that is called the result of a head-on crash.
>
> As also seen on my bike when I cycled into the back of a dangerously fast parked car. My
> fault, M'Lud?
>
> It is quite hard to tell from Pete's pics. Also, if you're convinced the forks are bent, the more
> likely it is you'll think they are - even if they're not. If the forks really are damaged you'll
> soon notice a steering problem. When I had my bike repaired - new forks, new headset, new pretty
> much everything at the front - the riding was

I can't really tell from looking at them - and they're in my garage! I shall only really find out
when I get to ride it. Simon

Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:

> I bet you're right. Why do I have such bad luck with my search results? IIDHBLIWHALAA. (I assume
> the acronym is self-explanatory.)

If you find any more puzzling acronyms you could try http://www.acronymfinder.com/

HTH HAND.

--
Carol Hague "...you can find absolutely ANYthing on the internet - with the exception of the one
thing you're looking for."

[email protected] (Simon Mason) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>

> > P.S. Must have missed the Humber somewhere earlier in the thread. Maybe it was covered with
> > acronyms?
>
> I don't think it *was* in this thread Carl. It was mentioned in an original thread on urc, but
> only referred to as a "river" here. BTW, this SSSI is not really like a national park. In this
> case, it's given that status due to the rare wading birds and molluscs that live in the
> mudflats. Simon.

Dear Simon,

Ah, the fruits of tact and base cunning.

I couldn't resist at least hinting that no one had mentioned the Humber in this thread, but I stayed
my bloody hand and phrased my outrage obsequiously.

Instead of a flame-fest, I've bagged not only the information that I may not be able to visit and
wade in the mud with your birds and clams (no loss, since I spend my weekends startling great blue
herons amidst the ten-inch freshwater clams of the Arkansas), but also the knowledge that certain
primitive acronym-loving tribes across the seas refer to themselves as urks (not that they seem
particularly irksome), while my own adopted band is known by the more frog-like croak, rbts.

Ribbet!

Carl Fogel