Are these forks bent?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Biggs, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    > > Aaaaargh! "SSSI is simply an ETLA . . ."
    >
    > See http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/A700912 :)

    Dear Guy,

    Aaaaargh! Your fine site about acronyms not only explains ETLA in cold print, but leaves no doubt
    about what's happening in the UK:

    The world has now reached a point of craziness where a key criterion for certain types of grant
    application is that you must have a snappy acronym for your project. The UK's science funding body
    will not accept proposals without an acronym.

    What would Shakespeare say?

    First thing we do, let's kill all the quangos. --Jack Cade, updated

    Carl Fogel

  2. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Christopher Brian Colohan wrote:
    > > [email protected] (Carl Fogel) writes:
    > >> Aaaaargh! "SSSI is simply an ETLA . . ."
    > >
    > > A TLA is a "Three Letter Acronym".
    >
    > <pedant mode>
    >
    > Except that it's not.
    >
    > Acronym: a word formed from or based on the initial letters or syllables of other words, such as
    > radar (Acronym from radio detection and ranging).
    >
    > Other examples, LASER (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation), UNESCO (United
    > Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), OXFAM (Oxford Committee for Famine
    > Relief) etc.
    >
    > Now unless you pronouce TLAs as talaas, you can't really call it an acronym. What a TLA is is a
    > three letter abbreviation. </pedant mode>
    >
    > Sorry about that. Can't always help myself.
    >
    > Tim

    Dear Tim,

    Nice point, well-taken, but you may underestimate the power of tongue-twisting, the strength of
    slurring, and our desperate need to make sense out of short bureaucratic gobbledeygook.

    Tialease (rhyme TLA's with protease or lamaze) and tialay (rhyme TLA with CIA or L.A.) pronounce so
    smoothly and easily that they morph from separate letters into slurred words.

    And if it don't fit, force it, as Lord Byron said to himself as he sat down and began
    happily rhyming:

    I want a hero: an uncommon want, When every year and month sends forth a new one, Till, after
    cloying the gazettes with cant, The age discovers he is not the true one; Of such as these I
    should not care to vaunt, I'll therefore take our ancient friend Don Juan . . .

    Of courssse, sssome sssetsss of lettersss are ssstubborn. I have no idea how to sssay SSSI
    ssswiftly, although Tolkien'sss Gollum might take a ssstab at it.

    Carl Fogel

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 12:08:53 -0700, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:
    >First thing we do, let's kill all the quangos. --Jack Cade, updated

    I had to go to acronymfinder.com to figure that one out...

    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote in message news:<1g38nvx.11357fnx0vl03N%[email protected]>...

    > Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > I bet you're right. Why do I have such bad luck with my search results? IIDHBLIWHALAA. (I assume
    > > the acronym is self-explanatory.)
    >
    > If you find any more puzzling acronyms you could try http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    >
    > HTH HAND.

    Dear Carol,

    It looks like an excellent site, let me give it a whirl . . . H-T-H . . . press enter . . .

    Get thee behind me, Satan!

    Carl Fogel

    HTH Hope That Helps HTH Hope This Helps HTH Hand To Hand combat HTH Hand To Heart (I'm being honest)
    HTH Happy To Help HTH Hard to Handle HTH Harry the Horse HTH Hawthorne, Nevada USA (Airport Code)
    HTH Head to Head HTH Heart To Heart HTH Hell This Hurts HTH High Tech High (California Charter
    School) HTH High Test Hypochlorite HTH Highway Traffic Headquarters HTH Hit the Highway HTH Hjälper
    Torr Hud HTH Home Town Hero (band) HTH Hoping This Helps HTH How the Hell?

  5. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote in message
    > news:<1g38nvx.11357fnx0vl03N%[email protected]>...

    > > If you find any more puzzling acronyms you could try http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    > >
    > > HTH HAND.

    > It looks like an excellent site, let me give it a whirl . . . H-T-H . . . press enter . . .
    >
    > Get thee behind me, Satan!

    <giggle>

    The usual one is Hope This Helps Have A Nice Day.

    Or if the person concerned is a Chthulhu cultist possibly, Honour To Hastur His Arrival
    Nears Daily :)

    --
    Carol Hague "I used to be confused, but now I just don't know."
    - A-ha, "Blue Skies"

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    [email protected] (Carol Hague) writes:

    > Carl Fogel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > [email protected] (Carol Hague) wrote in message
    > > news:<1g38nvx.11357fnx0vl03N%[email protected]>...
    >

    > > > If you find any more puzzling acronyms you could try http://www.acronymfinder.com/
    > > >
    > > > HTH HAND.
    >
    > > It looks like an excellent site, let me give it a whirl . . . H-T-H . . . press enter . . .
    > >
    > > Get thee behind me, Satan!
    >
    > <giggle>
    >
    > The usual one is Hope This Helps Have A Nice Day.

    Uusually combined with FOAD, as in 'HTH HAND FOAD'

    FOAD, of course, is an acronym which stands for 'Go Forth and (very briefly) Multiply'

    ...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

  7. W K

    W K Guest

    "Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "W K" <[email protected]>typed
    >

    > > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Surely the mere existance of acronyms of any kind indicate the decline of the English
    > > > language?
    >
    > > There are worse things than excessive acronymificationism.
    >

    > Like my medical colleagues with that rather painful polydiplomatosis...

    You made me look.

    OK, is that irritating because they have to many paper qualifications?

  8. W K

    W K Guest

    "Tim Downie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Christopher Brian Colohan wrote:
    > > [email protected] (Carl Fogel) writes:
    > >> Aaaaargh! "SSSI is simply an ETLA . . ."
    > >
    > > A TLA is a "Three Letter Acronym".
    >
    > <pedant mode>
    >
    > Except that it's not.
    >
    > Acronym: a word formed from or based on the initial letters or syllables
    of
    > other words, such as radar (Acronym from radio detection and ranging).
    >
    > Other examples, LASER (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation), UNESCO (United
    > Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), OXFAM (Oxford Committee for Famine
    > Relief) etc.
    >
    > Now unless you pronouce TLAs as talaas, you can't really call it an
    acronym.
    > What a TLA is is a three letter abbreviation. </pedant mode>

    VG

    Now, an ETLA is one, but a TLA isn't then?

    Is there an inconsistency in that. I'm trying hard not to waste brain power on that one. <chants
    "uuuummmm" ... "ummmm"

  9. Wot about HENRY The Horse (who dances the waltz)? Or "Harry The Hawk", for Softly Softly fans?

    Bah!

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. > The usual one is Hope This Helps Have A Nice Day.

    > Or if the person concerned is a Chthulhu cultist possibly, Honour To Hastur His Arrival Nears
    > Daily :)
    >
    > --
    > Carol Hague "I used to be confused, but now I just don't know."
    > - A-ha, "Blue Skies"

    Now that's the second reference to Hastur in the last month on this newsgroup. What the hell's going
    on? I thought for sure I must be the only cultist/touring-cyclist on the list but Werehatrack and
    Carol Hague have now blown their covers as sinister servants of the Great Old Ones.

    Rob "Squidkid" Strickland

  11. "W K" <[email protected]>typed

    > > Like my medical colleagues with that rather painful polydiplomatosis...

    > You made me look.

    > OK, is that irritating because they have to many paper qualifications?

    Yup.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Now, an ETLA is one, but a TLA isn't then?

    Depends who you ask. While I was researching http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A700912 I had an
    argument with someone about whether an acronym must be pronounceable. I corresponded with the OED
    and Chambers. The OED said it doesn't have to be, but failed to explain how this would then be
    distinct from initials, while Chambers were of the opinion that it should be pronounceable.

    My view is that if you can't pronounce it, it ain't an acronym.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  13. Carol Hague

    Carol Hague Guest

    Robert Strickland <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Now that's the second reference to Hastur in the last month on this newsgroup. What the
    > hell's going on? I thought for sure I must be the only cultist/touring-cyclist on the list
    > but Werehatrack and Carol Hague have now blown their covers as sinister servants of the Great
    > Old Ones.

    Well, we used to live on the Somerset Levels, which is a notorious haunt of
    Dagon-worshippers y'see....

    > Rob "Squidkid" Strickland

    Just mind you don't get your tentacles caught in your chainrings :)

    --
    Carol Hague "Just once, couldn't we run into a cult of bunny-worshippers?"
    - Xander, BtVS

  14. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:46:32 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There are worse things than excessive acronymificationism.

    At least acronymificationism (sounds good to me!) is better than txtmesijingulization.

    BTW, I don't have a mobile so have never felt the need to resort to the other dark side.

    Jmz

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  15. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 22 Oct 2003 19:50:44 -0700, [email protected] (Carl Fogel) wrote:

    HTH Helen the hurler

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  16. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > My view is that if you can't pronounce it, it ain't an acronym.

    You can pronounce anything, even if its all consonants, if you're Polish ;-)

    Dziekuje

    Tony

  17. > > Now that's the second reference to Hastur in the last month on this newsgroup. What the hell's
    > > going on? I thought for sure I must be the
    only
    > > cultist/touring-cyclist on the list but Werehatrack and Carol Hague have
    now
    > > blown their covers as sinister servants of the Great Old Ones.
    >
    > Well, we used to live on the Somerset Levels, which is a notorious haunt of Dagon-worshippers
    > y'see....
    > >
    > > Rob "Squidkid" Strickland
    >
    > Just mind you don't get your tentacles caught in your chainrings :)
    >
    > --
    > Carol Hague "Just once, couldn't we run into a cult of bunny-worshippers?"
    > - Xander, BtVS

    If you're interested I'll send you a link to a photo of my Mythos themed touring bike. Oh, and I
    haven't had any problems with numb tentacles since I picked up a Terry Liberator :)

    Squidkid

  18. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    > Wot about HENRY The Horse (who dances the waltz)? Or "Harry The Hawk", for Softly Softly fans?
    >
    > Bah!
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

    Why, Dave, it is Harry the Horse because he is a guy who is more famous than somewhat in circles
    where sometimes it is better to go by just your initials in the script because although Broadway
    producers have plenty of scratch they like to save a little here and there because it all adds up,
    and besides, some of them do not wish to make it too clear who is who in case the script winds up in
    front of a judge.

    Anyway, you can find HTH in scripts for "Guys and Dolls," which is a play with plenty of gals who
    ought to know better and fellows who sing to them even so, one of them being Sky Masterson, who is a
    pretty fair hand with the dice even though he comes from a small town in Colorado and is sucker
    enough to fall for Miss Sarah Brown, though if you have to fall for someone she will do nicely and
    there are worse things than ending up with her in the Salvation Army band, as Dave the Dude finds
    out in another story, which is not named "The Idyll of Miss Sara Brown."

    Now all of this is the fault of another fellow who grows up in Pueblo, Colorado, and unlike others
    shakes the dust off his shoes and leaves for New York, where he makes more money than somewhat
    writing stories in the present tense that scarcely ever use contractions about Harry the Horse,
    Angie the Ox, Dave the Dude, and other individuals who as far as I know never take an interest in
    bicycles except if there is someone else who will offer to bet against them. It is a very hard style
    to imitate, but this does not stop other fellows from Pueblo because they only hope and trust that
    other fans will notice the little touches and commence to re-reading the stories.

    Well, we do not have to worry about any of these citizens elbowing their way into rec.bicycles.tech
    because although they would fit right in Jobst the Spoke and Chalo the Machinist and Sheldon from
    Boston they deplore anything that resembles controversy or disagreement and also never smarten up a
    chump unless there is something in it for them.

    I would sign this as is my custom but it occurs to me that a nameless narrator is an even better
    trick if you do not wish to annoy certain parties who may resent things and that it worked pretty
    well for Damon Runyon.

  19. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >

    > > My view is that if you can't pronounce it, it ain't an acronym.
    >
    > You can pronounce anything, even if its all consonants, if you're Polish ;-)
    >
    > Dziekuje
    >
    > Tony

    Dear Tony,

    "Wojciehowicz! Just like it sounds!"

    --Detective Stanley W., holding up the name plate from his desk on "Barney Miller"

    Carl Fogel

    news:<[email protected]>...

    Someone who must be even older than I am wrote:

    > Why, Dave, it is Harry the Horse because he is a guy who is more famous than somewhat in circles
    > where sometimes it is better to go by just your initials in the script because although Broadway
    > producers have plenty of scratch they like to save a little here and there because it all adds up,
    > and besides, some of them do not wish to make it too clear who is who in case the script winds up
    > in front of a judge.
    >
    > Anyway, you can find HTH in scripts for "Guys and Dolls,"

    Yes, that's _Harry_ but _Henry_ is from 15 years or so later, viz: _Being for the Benefit of
    Mr. Kite_, from _Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band_, by one of the two greatest English
    groups ever.

    Sheldon "I Got The Horse Right Here..." Brown Newtonville, Massachusetts
    | Some are born with a silver spoon, | And some are born without a clue; | Some are born to take
    | the biscuit, | Some are born to just make do. |
    | |
    | When those fatcats drop the big one, | They will turn a penny, too: | They will rent out nuclear
    | shelters, | We'll get one with an outside loo! | -- Oysterband | (The greatest band since the
    | Beatles) |
    +------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone