Are these peals any good?



S

SpearSlinger1

Guest
Hopefully I'll be able to let you know this weekend. I have a pair on order, even as we speak, along with a pair of Performance Elan road shoes.:D
 

Hazmat

New Member
Oct 7, 2004
39
0
0
48
SpearSlinger1 said:
Hopefully I'll be able to let you know this weekend. I have a pair on order, even as we speak, along with a pair of Performance Elan road shoes.:D
I can't just order shoes, having 14s ain't all that, but yeah lemme know cause that sale won't last forever and $20 is $20
 
S

SpearSlinger1

Guest
Hazmat said:
I can't just order shoes, having 14s ain't all that, but yeah lemme know cause that sale won't last forever and $20 is $20
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was shopping for parts for a mountain bike rebuild project last week when the wife suggested she thought a $130 seat post looked nice. I had to explain how, for my purposes, a $25.00 seat post would do exactly the same thing.:)
 

meehs

New Member
Nov 7, 2003
1,868
0
0
56
SpearSlinger1 said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I was shopping for parts for a mountain bike rebuild project last week when the wife suggested she thought a $130 seat post looked nice. I had to explain how, for my purposes, a $25.00 seat post would do exactly the same thing.:)

UGH! At my house it's usually me trying to convince my wife why I need the $130 seatpost instead of the $25 one even though in reality the $25 one would, in fact, be more than adequate for my purposes! I'd do well to take a lesson from you. :D

Those look like pretty nice pedals for the price! I've read some pretty good reviews for the Performance pedals but I've never tried them myself. And yes, I'm pretty sure you can use regular Shimano cleats with them. You could always look here for reviews of the pedals.
 

Hazmat

New Member
Oct 7, 2004
39
0
0
48
in that respect, they both do the same thing, I am with you, but here are some areas where I am willing spend money, esp when it comes to weight. For example, the 7800 crankset isn't particularly light and is also $425. The 105 by comparison is cheaper but 150g heavier. In this case, I am willing to shell 3 bills for a carbon set, simply because of the almost 300g savings. But in specific ref to the seatpost, I found a road post made from 3al/2.5v Ti that was sooooo light (I think 121g) that the $35 vs $109 debate become moot IMO. I am also peicing together this bike so when all is told and the reality that I spent $500+ more than I had to on various parts of the groupo or other parts, it doesn't sting as bad cause i did it peice by peice.


The only part of the whole equation i have been out of the loop on for the past decade are all the advances in wheel tech. I am not surprised how easy it is to spend a grand or two, or three, on wheels, but I am not that advanced and am also rather, well, lets see... I have my own gravitational field, so stronger is better, leaving out many of the higher priced options. No radial lacing of 12 carbon spokes, no funny patterns, just a basic wheel that hopefully won't cost an arm and a leg (which makes cycling difficult).
 

Hazmat

New Member
Oct 7, 2004
39
0
0
48
meehs said:
UGH! At my house it's usually me trying to convince my wife why I need the $130 seatpost instead of the $25 one even though in reality the $25 one would, in fact, be more than adequate for my purposes!
I have had that attitude about my engine work on my Honda. In restrospect i could have saved about $3k if I had done things differently, but it has been a learning experience anyway.
 

dgow

New Member
Dec 2, 2003
29
0
0
Hazmat said:
They're light, they use the plain ol shimano cleat (right?), they're fairly cheap, and aren't ugly as sin.

Thoughts? Comments? Discuss.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=14779&estore_ID=191#
I posted a review on these. Cheap light and I had trouble finding cleats that released correctly. One of the pair that came with the pedals tended to grab on release. Some but not all Shimano cleats worked OK. I tried another pair of "identical" Taiwanese cleats under another brand name and they were just fine. One thing about Performanced they don't argue about returns and exchanges, so go ahead and give them a try.
 
S

SpearSlinger1

Guest
Yeah, but what I didn't tell Mrs. SpearSlinger is the shifters/brake levers, brakes, derailleur, cassette and chain I want to upgrade too are going to be around $600 if I decide to do two bikes. Not including new cables and housings.;)
 

artmichalek

New Member
Sep 15, 2004
2,010
0
0
40
If you need extra cleats, get the Performance ones. I've had problems mixing Nashbar and Shimano parts. Nashbar cleats will work on Shimano pedals, but Shimano cleats won't work on Nashbar pedals. They look the same, but the tops of the cleats are different.

dgow said:
I posted a review on these. Cheap light and I had trouble finding cleats that released correctly. One of the pair that came with the pedals tended to grab on release. Some but not all Shimano cleats worked OK. I tried another pair of "identical" Taiwanese cleats under another brand name and they were just fine. One thing about Performanced they don't argue about returns and exchanges, so go ahead and give them a try.
 

Azonict

New Member
Oct 12, 2004
15
0
0
49
Hazmat said:
They're light, they use the plain ol shimano cleat (right?), they're fairly cheap, and aren't ugly as sin.

Thoughts? Comments? Discuss.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=14779&estore_ID=191#
These are good pedals, I have them..
However, after about 5000 miles they started squeeking and had a pop to them..
When I took them apart to see what the issue was, the pedal had worn on the shaft.. and caused some play...

I lubed them with grease until my replacements came in, and they worked fine..

BTW.,..my replacements were the same kind...
 

Hazmat

New Member
Oct 7, 2004
39
0
0
48
Azonict said:
These are good pedals, I have them..
However, after about 5000 miles they started squeeking and had a pop to them..
When I took them apart to see what the issue was, the pedal had worn on the shaft.. and caused some play...

I lubed them with grease until my replacements came in, and they worked fine..

BTW.,..my replacements were the same kind...

did performance warrant them at all or did you just buy another set?
 

Azonict

New Member
Oct 12, 2004
15
0
0
49
Hazmat said:
did performance warrant them at all or did you just buy another set?
Sorry, should have cleared that up..
I just bought a new set...
They took 3-4 years and 5000 miles worth of me hammering on them..
So I just bought new...
 

HammerTD

New Member
Oct 13, 2004
12
0
0
Those pedals are fine, I had spd-r pedals on my road bike. But i recently swiched to looks and the larger platform gives me much better power transfer and I feel much more stable. If you go with spd's on road shoes I recomend getting the spd-r cleats so you can walk a little better off the bike.
 
S

SpearSlinger1

Guest
Hazmat said:
thats why you need to have wireless. . . . for safety
True, come to think of it if I really need to stop quickly there's plenty of parked cars around.:D