Are Tricks Possible on a MUnicycle??

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by silverfridge, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. silverfridge

    silverfridge Guest

    I, as most of u would now know, have a Qu-ax 24" Muni, but i am also
    keen on tricks, not just mountain riding, so is it possible to learn
    ALL the tricks a trial/street/freestyle uni can?:confused:

    --
    silverfridge

    GOD SPEED!
    silverfridge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11533

  2. trials_uni

    trials_uni Guest

    ya pretty much but it takes mor practice...like for unispins the uni is
    heavier so you have to work harder. and stand up or foot on frame
    tricks are also harder because there is less space between the seat and
    the crown.

    --
    trials_uni

    You can't get up and try it again if you don't fall first.
    -Phil
    'Check Out my Newbie Guide' (http://tinyurl.com/99yez) <---new more
    informative post go now! edited today!
    Also Join the 'Unicyclist Roster'
    (http://ecstasy.winternet.com/roster/index.php?) and meet other
    unicyclists in your area!
    Make Your Own 'Juggling Clubs!' (http://www.crazytieguy.com/clubs.htm)

  3. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    No, tricks like side riding don't work with long cranks, cross-riding
    can't be done with a too large wheel and unispins and pirouettes don't
    work if your tyre is too chunky. These are mostly the higher level
    tricks, stuff like 1ft wheel walk etc. can all be done, but they are a
    little harder on a Muni.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

  4. jsm

    jsm Guest

    You can learn most tricks on a MUni, but some of them, especially
    freestyle ones are going to be far harder to learn. A knobby tire and
    pinned pedals make some things really awkward or dangerous. Side-riding
    does actually work all right with longer cranks, (I learned on 150s)
    but short cranks really make a difference for a lot of freestyle
    tricks.

    So, if you want to do easy stuff in all genres, your MUni should be
    fine, but when start moving toward more specific advanced tricks, you
    really should consider getting a freestyle and/or street/trials
    unicycle.

    --
    jsm

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia

    "wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*" -chosen
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

  5. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    kington99 wrote:
    > No, tricks like side riding don't work with long cranks, cross-riding
    > can't be done with a too large wheel and unispins and pirouettes don't
    > work if your tyre is too chunky. These are mostly the higher level
    > tricks, stuff like 1ft wheel walk etc. can all be done, but they are a
    > little harder on a Muni.

    I disagree...all tricks -can- be done, just considerably more
    difficult.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  6. harper

    harper Guest

    I have myself and seen many people one-foot and wheel walk a MUni. I
    have seen Irene Genelin stand up one foot wheel walk a MUni downhill in
    the dirt. I have seen Kris Holm sideride a MUni with 175 cranks and
    glide at speeds high enough that smoke was pouring off of his shoe.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  7. fexnix

    fexnix Guest

    kington99 wrote:
    > unispins and pirouettes don't work if your tyre is too chunkyi.

    Let me disagree.
    I can do unispins on my 24" Nimbus Muni. They are a bit harder (the 180
    unspin, that is) but they can be done.

    Other stuff like pedalgrabs, crankflips, grinds, gliding and 360 can
    also be done on a 24" Muni. But you will have to be stronger to pull
    some of that stuff off.

    --
    fexnix

    '*My fresh gallery*'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Fexnix-album)
    *I Got Infinite Skillz*
    fexnix's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7381

  8. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    fexnix wrote:
    > Other stuff like pedalgrabs, crankflips, grinds, gliding and 360 can
    > also be done on a 24" Muni. But you will have to be stronger to pull
    > some of that stuff off.

    Strength is only necessary to overcome poor technique. My Jedi master
    Gerblefranklin is only slightly larger than master Yoda, yet he can
    pull insane trials moves on his 24" Muni. He may never win an
    arm-wrestling competition, but he pulls rolling hops over cars. The
    long way. While in traffic.

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  9. U-Turn

    U-Turn Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > I disagree...all tricks -can- be done, just considerably more difficult.

    I thought this for a while, until I got to seat-on-side on the Coker.
    That is a leg length / wheel size issue, not a matter of finesse or
    strength.

    --
    U-Turn

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    -- Dave Stockton

  10. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    U-Turn wrote:
    > I thought this for a while, until I got to seat-on-side on the Coker.
    > That is a leg length / wheel size issue, not a matter of finesse or
    > strength.

    I agree that the leg length/wheel size is a factor for doing certain
    tricks, therefore certain tricks CAN"T be done on a Muni especially if
    the person has really short legs. One trick I can for sure think of is
    cross-over (your leg would have to bend in an impossible position in
    order for you to do it, especially not to hit the tire and scrape your
    skin off-it's hard enough on a 20" freestyle with a smoot tire).

    So most tricks you can probably do on a Muni, but there are some that I
    think you can't.

    --
    unicycle6869

    Jamey (formerly known as tuna6869)

    Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
    screws the country?

    *20 Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you
    didn't do than by the things you did-EXPLORE-DREAM-LIVE!
    unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

  11. I've never done trials, until now. I have two unicycles; a Coker and my
    new '06 torker dx 24" that I bought mostly for muni. I've have been
    using the dx to try to learn trials, but I will say that using the 24"
    for trials is kinda like using 2 or 3 bats to warm up! When you finally
    pick up the one bat (the 20" Metaphor) it's a breeze!

    --
    terrybigwheel

    Terry
    terrybigwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11418

  12. kington99

    kington99 Guest

    fexnix wrote:
    > Let me disagree.
    > I can do unispins on my 24" Nimbus Muni. They are a bit harder (the 180
    > unspin, that is) but they can be done.
    > .

    Apologies, i meant the trick when you ride in a very small circle that
    usually preceeds a pirouette, I can't remeber its name right now.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

  13. unicycle6869

    unicycle6869 Guest

    kington99 wrote:
    > Apologies, i meant the trick when you ride in a very small circle that
    > usually preceeds a pirouette, I can't remeber its name right now.

    A spin?