Are upper end shorts worth it?

LS17

Jun 24, 2005
I have been using a pair of $20 Canari bike shorts I bought from Sport Challet for over a year now. I was flipping through some flyers and saw some shrts selling for over $150! Is there a big difference between $20 and $150 shorts? Any performance benefit or is the extra money for better looks?

I don't know what brand the cheap shorts are, but my guess is that there would be a difference, although you should be able to get very good knicks for under 100 bucks. My opinion is that spending big $$$ on stuff like Assos isn't worth it.

Cheap lycra can feel like canvas, and good lycra feels like a 2nd skin, but the biggest difference is usually the chamois, with expensive ones being more comfortable and lasting WAY longer. Some cheap chamois' are just a thin layer of foam.

LS17 said:
I have been using a pair of $20 Canari bike shorts I bought from Sport Challet for over a year now. I was flipping through some flyers and saw some shrts selling for over $150! Is there a big difference between $20 and $150 shorts? Any performance benefit or is the extra money for better looks?

Having worn some cheap Peleton 1 bib knicks (AU$60) and comparing them to the Nike version (AU$150) there is alot of diffrence.

The Nike version is by far the more comfortable of the two and have lasted at least three times longer and still going strong.

How much is a comfortable azz worth? It's really more the quality of the pad that is the key. Things like saddles and shorts are not areas to scrimp a penny on. Especially if you do anything in the 5-6 hour range, a quality short will be key. Note: bibs are far more comfy than regular shorts.

I am a cheapskate and hate spending $$$ on bike components that are overpriced and don't add much to my enjoyment. I used to use a cheap pair of shorts and decided to try a pair of Pearl Izumis ($100 or so) and they are worth every penny. Don't skimp on seats, shorts and tires.

Some swear by Performance brand and some would use anything other then $200 Assos. Better shorts/bibs will have flatter stiching which wont rub you raw and better chamois. Bibs are better. A good mid level might be PI Attack bibs for around 100 bucks or less if you look hard. I've gone to Descente's which i like.

Only your butt can tell. My butt didn't like PI, Sugoi, and other shorts/bibs at all, but it has come to have unnaturally amorous feelings about the Assos bibs I wear now. My butt, however, is not your butt (Prolly a good thing for both of us: I don't like to share, and you might be put off by my sloppy bathroom habits.).

Logic might dictate trying different shorts and working your way up the Expense-o-Meter.

shokhead said:
Some swear by Performance brand and some would use anything other then $200 Assos. Better shorts/bibs will have flatter stiching which wont rub you raw and better chamois. Bibs are better. A good mid level might be PI Attack bibs for around 100 bucks or less if you look hard. I've gone to Descente's which i like.
Descentes are good as well as Pearl Izumis. I had both and they are quite comfortable. But trying to save some $$$ recently, I bought some Performance Century shorts and Performance Elite bibs. I feel that the Century shorts are almost as comfy as my Descentes and Pearls. The Elites are actaully a little more comfortable. I was very impressed with the Elite bibs. In fact I may get the Performance Ultra bibs next. Should be even more comfortable. All are good quality too with flat stitching, quality chamois, great fit and silicon leg grippers. I’ll recommend Performance Elite and Ultra bibs to anyone.

I just got new shorts and I thought they were used for your lower end!!:D :D

Sorry, couldn't control myself.

I bought some PI Attack shorts and they seem to be quite comfortable, but I'm a newbie and have no experience and/or much other stuff to compare too. I did pick up another pair of PI shorts from the store, but they were not the 8 panel attack style. If I get anymore, I'll get the 8 panel ones again, they do seem to fit a little better & be a tad more comfy.