Are we there yet?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by CalicoCat, Jan 12, 2011.

1. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

55 miles indoor? You need help CalicoCat /img/vbsmilies/smilies/ROTF.gif

2. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

Today's TT was a somewhat hilly CT course - took me 3hrs
    Other courses I do of about the same distance take between 2:45-3hrs to complete

I know . . .
    :)

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

What kind of set up are you using to record this footage?

4. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I am using the Contour GPS camera (though I do not use the gps feature) with the XL mount and camera below the bar.
    There are several modes and I am using the 720 Action mode.

I use Cyberlink Powerdirector Ultra for the video editing. I am new at all of this, but me and the group find it to be entertaining.
    The camera drains batteries quickly. I can use two of the rechargeable lithium batteries for a ride lasting longer than 3 hours and that is with intermitent use of the camera during the ride. The 16 GB micro SD card that I purchased seems to be sufficient for storage.

5. gman0482

gman0482 Member

That's for sure TZ, it's nice to take a breather once in a while, although I think I screwed myself cause today, a day after coming back, my legs are toast, mainly from my boots and board straps being too tight and my calves killing me, plus I feel a cold coming on now.

Regardless though, as I look at my bike with all of my new toys on it, there's no freakin way I'm staying off of it, even if I have to suffer extra. Cold or soreness, it's nuthin that a hot bath while reading Coggan's book won't fix, lol.

6. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Nice day yesterday, so I took off work a bit early and put in a solid 60 miles. I felt really good on the bike, I actually had to force myself to take it a bit easy at times as the ride was intended to be an L4 ride. 3rd time on the bike outside this year and 1st time on the good wheels and I have never felt so strong, I hope this continues. Today is an off day, back to basement racing tomorrow.

7. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

It might not be a river in Egypt but you might be in FTP denial.

Retest for your outdoor FTP and let us know how easy 60 miles of L4 is and how much taking it easy you ended up doing. ;)

8. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

yup!!!! what swampy said! I did nearly 60mi of L4 indoors the other day, and it equated to hours of pain and suffering. Granted, it would be more fun outdoors, but still hecka painful.

. . . sprints for me today - trying to get myself to work on my biggest limiter.

9. gman0482

gman0482 Member

That's just not normal CC... I thought I was messed up for loving the trainer, but you're on another planet.

10. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Yeah, I have been basing my training off of the Charmichael levels, but it is difficult to explain where I am training, so I unsucsessfully tried to translate into L1, L2.......etc /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif. It would have been more accurate to say high L3 effort.

11. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

LOL. I don't love the trainer, but I love what good it does for me in the winter. Carrying that fitness over to the Spring, only makes the road more fun!!!! . . . and makes those early season races a lot less painful than they could be. But, you see, one of my strengths is my ability to focus, even for long periods of time at a relatively high intensity level. That makes it possible to do 3hrs of hard riding indoors. Builds mental toughness too.

12. gman0482

gman0482 Member

I agree. I haven't done as much of 2x60 or 1x120 as last year.

This sucks... I am now on my 4th day off the bike with a nasty cold/flu/something. Perhaps making it worst by taking it lightly and training on Monday, when I should've stayed in and not even gone to work. Unfortunately my work doesn't allow for much rest or days off.

13. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

Oh, get better G! Sleep, drink fluids . . . you know the drill. Don't worry about missing a few training days (I know, easier said than done), just get well, and you'll probably come back strong and rested.

. . . I have been training really hard indoors recently and know that my immune system is stressed and just barely hanging on. I have been trying to take in plenty of vitamin C and healthy foods, trying to get enough sleep, etc. With training camp starting in a couple of weeks, I am really worried about getting sick before hand!!! . . . ugh, it is one of the hazards of being an athlete - we are strong and fit, but by constantly pushing our bodies to the limit we make ourselves susceptible to illness!

14. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

A friend send me a link to this crazy race in Chile.

http://www.gadling.com/2011/03/03/downhill-bike-race-in-chile-is-insanity-at-its-finest/?ncid=&a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

On my training front, honestly nothing spectacular or bad to report. Since back from my trip I have been putting in my usual 60 minutes of SST/L4 which is around the 220-230 area always a 3 x 20, or 2 x30 or 1 x 60. I have been riding my new bike build for commuting pretty much everyday but at 5am it is still really cold out here in NYC. I have to bundle up and thank God for Craft. Craft makes some nice light warm stuff for this time of year and it lasts for years. I also have my trustee Cannondale jacket which must be like 5 years old now and still does the job amazingly well.

I am thinking of taking the Cervelo off the trainer as the forecast says a realfeel above freezing tomorrow. I have not ridden outside in a long time with my look pedals and with NYC traffic I need to get used to them again. NYC traffic certainly makes you learn clipless pedals really quick!!

-js

15. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Thanks CC. I usually get this once per year so hopefully this is it. The weather here has been crazy, at times going from 38*F in the morning, to 28 with bone chilling winds and snow in the afternoon. I'm definitely getting back on today after work no matter what. Just woke up and still feeling a bit under, but at least no fever.

16. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Rain canceled our 80 mile training ride today /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif

I am about to attempt one of those epic indoor Calico style events to keep my CTL from dropping like rock.
    Rollers, Kung Fu theater on the flat screen (js/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif), two fans, best cycling shorts with chamois ointment and some good time at Tempo. Hopefully

17. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

yep, rain sucks /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif. I am heading down to put in 2hrs, can't imagine putting in much more than that. Best of Luck!!

18. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

felt->Sorry bout the rain but glad to hear that the movies are being put to good use! I had a weird day as I wanted this to be my first real hard ride outdoors since my injury. Well it was suppose to be 46 and it was but the rain was not suppose to be here till tomorrow. I got outside by 7am and it was 46 degrees but drizzling! I decided screw it. I am here, I am ready to go so lets do it. I get to CP and start to do the loops. I wanted to do 3 entire loops including harlem hill and figure with warm up will take about 90 minutes. After the first loop I notice I am riding it in a position that is not working well. By the 2nd loop I adjust when I hit the hills and all is fine. It all starts to come back to me how CP is really a series of really high watt output or almost none at all. I try and smooth it out by changing gears often and worked out ok. But on the 3rd loop I start to see people stopping at lights. I do not understand as we never stop at lights on the weekend or early mornings. Well I learn the hard way as they pull me over and give me a ticket! UGGH!! $25.

I am more upset about how I will be able to get any descent training in, if they expect us to stop at lights. Tomorrow is heavy rain so back to the trainer in the office! Well all in all a good experiment and outcome as the back seems a bit sore but not bad at all for all in all a 2 hour ride. I am hoping to increase that time over time and ofcourse keep up the watts. I do not have the ability to download PT data at home so have to wait till tomorrow as I want to see what the file looks like.

-js

19. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I failed at doing a Calico type of epic indoor event.
    I ended up with 2 hours 20 minutes and it came up to be 135 minutes of L3. (love the e-Motion rollers)
    The effort was in 60 minute blocks and as I started the 3rd block my power output started to fade so I called it a day.

I woke up not feeling at the top of my game and with a slight headache (very rare for me). Did not sleep well last night.
    Good thing I did not have the 80 mile training ride today. I don't think that would have went well for me.

Live to fight another day.
    Tomorrow will be better.

Js, I saw some think posted on Facebook from friends stating that the NYPD would be cracking down on cyclist in Central Park.
    I meant to send you a link for a petition that was going around. I just read an article stating that NYPD does not care about the petition from cyclists anyway. There are a lot of web articles on this topic as of late. Sorry you not only have the ticket, but have this potentially interfering with future training. That is a real bummer.

http://gothamist.com/2011/03/04/nypd_rejects_central_park_cycling_c.php

20. Manweiser

Manweiser New Member

Laid down a 60 minute effort at 200-210 watts last night. I wanted to go longer, but I've been fighting a cold. Woke up this morning, and the battle continues. Taking a rest with a cold that feels to be moving to my chest. No fun for anyone and always seems to happen as I get into a solid groove.

At least its 50 degrees out!