Are we there yet?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by CalicoCat, Jan 12, 2011.

1. gman0482

gman0482 Member

That is bull !! I feel for ya JS. Sounds like you might have to go out even earlier than 7 am to try to avoid the blues. Or even get on the train for some rides out of the city.

2. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

I never said those epic indoor rides were easy :) Nice try. It sounds like you got in some solid efforts, which isn't bad for a day where you started out feeling not so great.

I have had a tough training week, including a draining workout today. Tomorrow I have a 3hr indoor ride on the schedule, and I am going to have to wait and see how I feel in the morning before deciding how much I have to give. If I feel good, I am going to try to build through the whole duration. I'll start at something more than sustainable, build, and see if I have the gas left at the end to accomplish a negative split and a strong finishing effort. If the legs feel like crap when I get on the bike, I am going to get in some long steady L3 work and be satisfied.

3. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

I completed a 2hr effort on the trainer, not so great either, I had to stop at 1hr 30 min to grab so OJ so I could complete the last 30.

To top things off, my race bike is a Trek SLR aluminum frame with a mix of ultegra/dura ace (all 2006-2008 to fit the time of the bike). The thought is I won't be to worried about beating the crap out of it during races, although I am really particular and I take pretty good care of. Well, my brother-in law rides too and has never been on rollers, so I suggested he give my bike a shot on the rollers (not sure what I was thinking). I have a steel support post in my basement that I use to get on and off of the bike, but it is a full arms length from the rollers and I was not to worried about anything happening. Long story short he falls. somehow the bike comes out from under him and the bottom tube hits the post and puts a nice 1 inch long dent in the frame. I took it to the shop, they checked to be sure the frame was not bent and basically said it should be ok, but to watch it to be sure it does not develop a crack. I am sick, I even went to the shop prepared to drop some real cash on a really nice road bike, but honestly the whole idea behind my bike is that it is very functional and I don't have a ton tied up in it so if I trash it, oh well. So I can not justify buying a new bike for a cosmetic blemish that only I know is there, I am just really particular about my stuff and it is really difficult to get over this. Today is not a great day.

4. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

That was my plan yesterday especially since I started not feeling so good, but my symptoms (headache) was no reason to sit on the couch so I figured I could at minimum do a decent L3 effort.
    My plan was to do the first 60 minute block at the low end of the L3 range, the second pick it up to the top end of L3 and then my hope was to get 15 minutes or more of L4 in the third block and finish with L3 as I started to cool off to end. Based on how crappy I felt I am content that I was able to get something in.

The rain is clearing off today, but the winds are supposed to be 15 to 20 mph so I may try another indoor event just like yesterday. Without that long outdoor Saturday ride my CTL will just stay flat for this week, but at least I hope to keep it from dropping. (I did a manual input in WKO as a check and if I repeat the same as yesterday my CTL will stay even.)

The other thing is getting used to the rollers. As my ability improves so does my sustainable power output on the rollers. I tried a couple of times yesterday to get down to the aerobars, but could not quite get there and stay stable enough to keep at it. Hopefully in time that will get better and that will help give me more options to shift around on the bike to improve comfort levels. Having to sit upright for 2 plus hours due to weaker roller skills played a part in a shorter duration.

5. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

gman,Felt-> Today I woke up feeling a bit beat up as CP always beats me up as I am sure there is not one flat area in the whole damn park. But as you brought up gman with the lights it makes it pretty much useless to train in and I have not done an early morning ride since September so based upon that letter you posted if the clubs are complaining that means they are enforcing these laws really early in the morning, say about 5am or so. For the weekends that is not a problem as I can go up to 9w and do my training but during the week that will not be easy to deal with. I will try an early morning during the regular week and see what it is like.

I got into the office today and ofcourse it was raining for the commute in as I had to get the R3 to the office. I really thought today was going to be an L3 day as I was beat up especially the back as first time in a long time I did 3 CP loops in a long time. To my surprise I felt really good on the trainer, I think the hard effort yesterday did something good today but I will get back to this later in my post. I did 3 x 20 and I should have tried a 240 for 1 hour as I can tell by the 3rd interval I could have done it. But who knows till you try.

Anyway I download the data from the 2 days and first look at the CP data,, it has been so long since I have seen a power distribution chart like that. I am so used to the CT and the power distribution chart with power concentration in a couple levels. The CP chart was interesting in that when you look at the graph it is exactly like old days of short durations of very high watts and other parts with almost no watts. I hate it cause in the end it makes your overall effort for the entire 90 minutes 180 but np 236. I am sick of NP and this is the year I have to learn how to smooth that graph out. Maybe it will never happen but I will try. Otherwise nice to see efforts in the >300 in the distribution. Anyway the one thing I can say from this output is that to do well at CP just have to build a training session with 2-5 minute efforts of 300 watts or more mixed with low watt outputs. Once I reach >240 watts I will build the file for the CT.

Well tomorrow is an off day and honestly looking forward to it.

Bg, cc and others->sorry to hear about the bike as I want to get rollers myself as I hear it is great for stability and really builds some core. I have the perfect spot in mind to make sure I do not fall over. Felt I would say that is a great work out you had on the rollers as I hear it is much more difficult. Sounds like we all had weird weekends but they need to happen so we can tell when we have the good ones!

-js

6. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

Not sure how or why, but I ended up feeling pretty darn good today. Got my 3hrs in on the trainer, despite wishing I were outdoors. I didn't get the negative split I was hoping for, as I definitely started a little too hard. But I felt much less trashed at the end of the ride compared to last weekend which definitely felt like more of a battle. Average watts were the same this weekend and last, so I am feeling good about that. I haven't downloaded the data yet, but am certain I didn't put out the steady effort that I put last week, but a good ride nonetheless.

Despite not being totally dead right now, my legs HURT . . . especially going down stairs! I guess that's what happens when you average 85% of FTP for 3 hrs! I think I am going to call the weekend a success and take a nap. . .

7. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Man, I still can't get over 3hrs on the trainer!! How many hours are you up to per week? Do you stop and let the feeling come back in your butt at some point? For me the biggest problem I have on a trainer, is the physical pain, no matter what shorts or how much cream I hurt so much worse than on the road.

8. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

I am at 10+hrs/week on the bike, plus strength training. Bike hours will increase soon, as the weather gets better and I can get outside.

For the 3hr efforts (which I only do once a week), I don't stop, but I do stand up on the pedals at pretty regular intervals . . . but yeah, it hurts a lot more on the trainer than on the road. I use cream indoors, but don't need it on the road, and I need thicker chamois indoors - I hate those same shorts on the road. I guess it is just a matter of finding what works, and getting used to some discomfort as part of indoor training.

9. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Took yesterday off and had a great day today. With my first race of the season this weekend I wanted to focus a bit more on my VO2, so I did some 5min intervals with a 10min of steady pace in between. I did 3 before work this morning (45 min on the bike was all I had time for) and then I did 5 this evening. This evening was a challenge, I knew it would be, but I really did well pushing myself through the pain. Steady pace tomorrow, 4x20 Wednesday, Thursday off, LSD outside on Friday, and then 1st race on Saturday!!

10. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

Ok, so I know this advice is unsolicited, but I just can't help myself. . . With racing on sat, I would seriously consider forgoing the LSD on Friday, and instead do a short ride, mostly easy, with a few 30sec efforts to open up the legs. LSD, despite being low intensity, can be really hard to recover from (mostly because of high calorie burns), and I'd hate for you to go into your race still somewhat depleted from the day before. Instead, if you are feeling good on Sunday and want to get your miles in, do the LSD then. . . .of course, if your routine has been working for you, don't change it. I'm telling you what works for me, and lots of other folks out there.

oh yeah, good luck on your race and make sure to report back!!!

11. jsirabella

jsirabella New Member

all-> Talking about bikes, I have had this R3 forever it seems and just lately these small square pieces of what I can only describe as tape are coming off. I do not think they are tape and you can see them if you look closely but just last few days are coming off. Anyone else have this happen?

-js

12. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Where specifically is this happening on your bike ? On your handlebars ? Can you post some pics ?

So I finally got over this flu/virus I had, and everyone around me also had/has it. One of the nastiest, longest one's I can remember. Did a nice 2x21 today (21 minutes because I do these mini 3 min ramp-ups, HOP style, but only at L3/L4 on every other 3 mins throughout the intervals) and I kept both intervals averaged over 80% FTP, which felt great coming back from being almost dead.

13. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Thanks CC, I will take your advise, as I am new to this whole thing and have no idea what works, LOL

On another really crappy note, I offically have the worst luck ever!! I went out for a solo ride tonight and decided to hit the bike path as I thought it would be safer, with cars and what not. Well two highschool kids were out running taking up the entire path, so I called "on your left" way back. They both looked back and moved over so I continued at pace (~23-25mph) and then as I am going around on the left one jumps right into me for no reason at all. I hit him and go down HARD, going over the bars and landing on the back of my head first. Once I was able to pull myself off of the ground and finished asking the kid WTF he was thinking, I rode 5 miles directly to the bike shop. The wheels were out of true, everything else checked out. As for me, I have some serious road rash on my elbow and think it may have something wrong with it, I have road rash all over my back, my lower back and neck are stiff as hell, the top of my foot hurts really bad, and my left knee is starting to feel stiff. My new Atmos helmet that I have litterally used 3 times did a wonderful job, when I hit I could tell I hit insanely hard, but felt no shock at all in my head. As for the helmet it has cracks all through it and is toast (fastest $180 I have spent).

I am going to continue with my training as planed tomorrow and hopefully can get back to 90% by race day. I am so disapointed I don't even know what to think.

14. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

Is it the tape that keeps the cables from rubbing the paint by the top tube?

15. coneofsilence

coneofsilence Member

Sorry to hear that man. You did pretty well not to start a fight. I would have been throwing punches even if there were two of them.

16. bgoetz

bgoetz Member

It was hard, I was insanely pissed and the kid was just plain dumb and I mean IQ of less than 10. However, I was kind of at fault for going so fast on a bike path. But what the heck, I called out way back, and they saw me?

17. CalicoCat

CalicoCat Member

Multi-use paths can be really awful. I have a really pretty one close to my house, but I only ride on it at certain times (weekday mornings at sunrise, for example), and even then it can be dicey. Runners, walkers, rollerbladders, folks walking dogs, parents with strollers, you name it, and it is dangerous for cyclists. Glad you weren't hurt worse. Heal up fast, and buy a new helmet!

18. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

bgoetz, I am really sorry to hear this. I have been so close so many time over the past couple of years for this very thing happening to me.

I finally decided that I can no longer go there to train. It is just too dangerous for me and those on the path that simply have no clue.
    This very path has all sorts and draws people from all walks of life. One woman cyclist was raped and murdered out on the rails to trails path.
    I have had teenage thugs jump out in front of me at 25+ mph thinking it would be fun to scare people. I have had little kids on tricycles veer into my path and people with dogs and extending leashes where the dog just bolts out in front the path. If I go back there in the future it will be for a active recovery ride at a very low speed.

I made a note of it on this blog and actually bought some pricey rollers to emulate being on the trail and yet have the safety of being in my house and away from the goofballs.
    I have made many other blog entries. Here is another one of many that I have recognized a day where I was very fortunate. If I made a comment about it I can assure you that I came very close to crashing.

I know you were looking forward to this this weekend. I hope it will go well with you despite this harsh event.

19. Manweiser

Manweiser New Member

bgoetz - That is a miserable accident... not so much an accident when a guy jumps at you though. I hope you heal quickly. I'm impressed you didn't throw a punch or escalate things. Talk about keeping your cool.

I've never trusted multi-use paths for cycling. Slow cruising with a family? Yes. I've been involved with roadway design and have had a special interest in transportation planning since I am a civil engineer. When people suggest adding multi-use paths to get cyclists off the road, I cringe. They are simply not safe for a cyclists riding at 15+ mph.

20. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your incedent and it's good to know that the Atmos helmets are as good as they say they are. I know you were probably a little in shock over the incedent but seriously, riding to the bike store after dicking in your elbow and shredding the skin on your back? Get home and take care of yourself first. A bike is just a bike...

There's more than one race and as you'll find out, it won't be the only time that you end up at a race that you've wanted to do well it where you've not had the best prep.

I was going through the best (ie first) autumn and winter in years until I dicked in my knee through having too much fun in a too big of a gear riding the old time trial bike in cold, strong cross winds. That was 6 weeks off (partly due to having to spend too much time under the truck fixing stuff in the cold and all the getting up and down which hindered recovery), then a cold and then mashing in the ribs after a bizzare fall in the garage. Tally that all up and it was a cozy 12 weeks off the bike since Sept.

Went out on the bike for the first time in forever last night and potholes and road imperfections seem about 3 times the size that they used too... but it was a fabulous evening. Temps up in the 60s and not too much wind...