Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

Things are back on the upswing again as viewed in WKO and though the rollers were a long-term investment I am seeing the payoff much more quickly than I expected. There are some crazy things going with using the rollers and kind of hard to express with writing, but there are a few things I have noticed. One my hips and hamstrings seem to be more involved (in a good way) with the rollers compared to the trainer. Thank goodness for the bumper rollers that keep me upright. I still hit one of those now and then when my focus drifts and I still cannot get down to the aerobars yet and stay stabile enough. When I get there I cannot keep my knees in to the top tube and they are wildly going outward trying to keep my balance, but I suppose that will come in time.
I don't think you really should pedal with your knees in around the top tube. Ideally, you want the legs to track straight up and down and your knees shouldn't be tracking diagonally.

It'll come but not with time - you'll have to do something about it but you need to figure out why they're doing that. Is it a flexability issue or a specific strength issue that hinders getting the thigh high enough when get the pedal over top-dead-center or is the downward pedal just forcing things out of the way - and consequently forcing your knee outwards? Do you have something going on with your lower back or a pelvic tilt. Feet issues - need shims or inserts? It could be a leg length discrepancy issue... It could be lots of things.

Rollers, and their specific need to balance, do bring out a few oddities like this but it's these particular quirks that I never really wanted to deal with when doing 15x30second sprints flat out with only 30 seconds in between. Stability... not my best trait after the first dozen. LOL. Add in the PowerCranks and "the stumble" when you occaisonally don't get the pedal smoothly over TDC and I'd be on the floor almost as I was on the bike during the last few efforts.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .
I don't think you really should pedal with your knees in around the top tube. Ideally, you want the legs to track straight up and down and your knees shouldn't be tracking diagonally.

It'll come but not with time - you'll have to do something about it but you need to figure out why they're doing that...........
It is nothing more than learning and balancing at the moment.
I am very new to aerobars (just started using them a few weeks ago and only on the trainer) and I am very new to the rollers. The struggle is not much different than me trying to reach down and get my water bottle on the rollers. There again I get a little wacky with my balance, but all of it is getting better with more use.

Positionally everything is fine sitting up or using the drops.
(I did not mean to imply that I try to hold my knees toward the top tube. That was an error.)

Thanks though

Well, 6 inches of snow canceled my race tomorrow. It all has actually melted on the roads, but this was on a race track and they will not plow it or anything of the sort, so they rescheduled. At first I thought it was a good thing given my incident, but honestly I am feeling pretty good. Then I got on the trainer when I got home and damn I felt great!! I think I would have been in real good form had they still had the race. Oh well, guess I learned something; I think now that race season is approaching and I will be attending a race 3 weeks out of a month, I may alter my training to start strong on Sunday with LSD and taper towards the weekends. Even if I don't attend a race, the local race group has rides every Saturday and Sunday a.m. and most of them are like races for the first 17 miles until we get to breakfast.

No, it is actually closer to 16 miles. Different groups for different paces meet up at three different times and leave for breakfast, the fastest group leaving last (which is basically a race to breakfast). Everyone gets to breakfast at similar times, we all eat and decide where we will head to afterward (some going different locations), typically the ride after breakfast is anywhere from a 16 mile straight back to much longer 60-70 mile rides. The after breakfast pace is more LSD, since we have people who like to ride at a less than race pace. Either way I have 8 miles to the meeting location, so I end up with an extra 16 miles myslef just getting to and from there. Minimal I will have is 50 miles, but I have had over 100, just depends on what we decide.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

Minimal I will have is 50 miles, but I have had over 100, just depends on what we decide.

That is a big day out in any ones book.

I ended up with just short of 80 miles today. Today was the single windiest day I think I have ever rode, with the 1st 40 miles dead into the wind, after breakfast we were literally at a 16mph pace and sometimes as slow as 10, LOL. Once we got turned around me and another guy pulled most of the way back at 30+ mph and I bet I was not putting out much more than 250 watts, LOL. I will get a good nights rest and head out and do it all over tomorrow.

Put in 50 miles today at a very nice LSD pace, it was a bit cold, but much better than being inside on the trainer. I am starting to get my "outside legs" back, as I don't feel like a did enough today.

bg->The wind here in NYC was really nasty. I did ride yesterday for 3 hours and got a good hour of SST/L4 in but decided today to do in-door trainer as did not want to deal with the wind today. Was a nice two and half hours ride today where I put in another 60 minutes of SST/L4. I want to get in the longer rides now but honestly not sure of the benefit. I look at my WKO+ and yes the CTL jumps nicely but not sure if it is really get the power numbers up.

Starting to think outdoors is about riding while the trainer should be about training and where I keep the rides at a max of 2 hours with plenty of SST/L4 in there.

-js

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

Starting to think outdoors is about riding while the trainer should be about training and where I keep the rides at a max of 2 hours with plenty of SST/L4 in there.

-js
Too Right. If i have a plan for the indoor trainer, i get a way better training session then i do if i have a structured plan outdoors. Way too many variables outdoors to get the same results as riding indoors. A nice looking triathlete chick usually brings my plans to a halt.

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .
It is nothing more than learning and balancing at the moment.
I am very new to aerobars (just started using them a few weeks ago and only on the trainer) and I am very new to the rollers. The struggle is not much different than me trying to reach down and get my water bottle on the rollers. There again I get a little wacky with my balance, but all of it is getting better with more use.
Woohoo!
I think I got it now. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Or at least I am getting there with the rollers.
By shear determination and hitting the bumper rollers a few times I was able to get some extended time on the aerobars yesterday. I am not fully aero yet (not in great form) and not cranking out in the desired power zone yet. Just getting to the pads was the trick and now I need to build the skills so I can start training for sustained power output in that position.

...oh and I agree with the last two posts. I am intentionally training indoors more this year than the past for those very reasons and why I invested in those expensive rollers. I was on an eighty mile ride with the group on Saturday. I call that my fun day out with friends, but the real deal training is all in a controlled environment striving to get consistent big blocks of time at a sustained power output.

A few years ago someone asked why I trained indoors so much for being a recreational cyclist. My response was, "I train hard inside so that I can have fun when I am outside." I am starting to see the fruit of that effort because I ride with veteran accomplished cyclists on Saturday and I am able to keep up with them better than in the past, which makes it more fun not to get dropped constantly. And it is even more fulfilling to come into the parking lot in the front group. Either that or they have had a lot more mercy on me lately. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

all->OK I am finally have reached the point that I have to ask. I train hard inside all the time and no issues but when i ride outdoor and go hard my nose feels like a faucet. I am constantly cleaning my noise endlessly it feels like. Does this happen to anyone else and has anyone been able to figure out why even if I can not stop doing it. But honestly I am sick of it.

-js

Yes, it's normal to have a drippy runny nose when training outdoors in cold and or damp weather. Last year it must have been July before things warmed up and dried out around here and it was so nice to ride without having to constantly clear and wipe my drippy nose. It was better in the drier Wyoming climate but around here it's got to get pretty warm before the runny nose riding stops.

-Dave

I have drippy nose syndrome too. I am also having another issue that has surfaced with these long outdoor rides. I seem to have quite a bit of pressure on the "soft tissue area" (all of you guys know where I am talking about), it feels like all of my weight is on that spot. It seemed to start last year, and I do notice it on the trainer, except I end up finishing my workout before it gets to bad. At some point I must have made an adjustment to my seat angle or something. The only thing I can think of is that I moved my seat up at about the time this started and the angle of my seat tube could have effectively caused me to sit different on the seat. I tried to tip my seat back a bit and I am almost thinking it made it worse, I may try going forward a bit. Not sure what is going on, but I HAVE to get this fixed!! Any advice would be appreciated.

Are we there yet? I'm not sure that the bike has really left the garage yet this season...

I just took a look at Performance Manager and getting back on the bike this past week or two has got the CTL upto a whopping 18.9

So... with the powercranks on, a dicky rib and not much training, I thought it'd be an ace idea to enter the Davis Double in about 7 weeks.

Got Logic? I don't think I have - other than I need to get at least one big ride in before the Alta Alpina. 200 miles in the big hills off 2 to 3.5 hours training is a bit of a stretch.

Not sure which is worse - trying to find flatish roads devoid of railroad crossings or potholes or the effect of riding over said obsticles. Oddly, for someone who until recently actually liked riding the trainer, getting on the bike in the garage isn't too appealing. Must be the thought of constantly looking at the two project cars and the latest one "project: snot rocket" needs paint really bad and I hate paint prep more than I hate the thought of getting my fingers trapped between the chain and chainrings when fishing out sticks when trail riding.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

I have drippy nose syndrome too. I am also having another issue that has surfaced with these long outdoor rides.

I don't have advice but I can empathize with you on the long rides, increase overall training time and the toll it is playing on comfort.

I felt some stinging while training this morning and when I showered I found it to be much worse than I had thought. A hard lump the size of a peanut, which I have experienced before but never that size. I just hope it goes away as quickly as the other times. I don't want to back down now, but I know it will be a distraction this evening for the 2x40's.

all->I really would not mind if it was every so often during the ride but it really feels like a faucet lately. Also when I ride next to others I am more worried about it and when it starts I really feel stupid. Ofcourse with the cold weather the snot freezes to my gloves and jacket. It is still below freezing in the morning in NYC with the wind chill.

My wife finally got sick of me talking about it and found me this link.

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/post/runnynosewhileexercisingrunningandbiking/ ipratropium bromide Anyone ever hear or tried this stuff? -js

swampy->That usual "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead" attitude will carry you through these races. If not for yourself do it for the Queen!

At least the happy new couple to be...

-js

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

I just took a look at Performance Manager and getting back on the bike this past week or two has got the CTL upto a whopping 18.9

So... with the powercranks on, a dicky rib and not much training, I thought it'd be an ace idea to enter the Davis Double in about 7 weeks.
Well, that will provide some motivation! I think you can just barely pull it off. If you increase CTL 5 per week you're at 55 or so, which should be enough to make the DD bearable if you go easy.

My CTL plummeted over the winter due to all the snow here. I'm back at 50 though as the weather has warmed up the last few weeks. Still, I don't have much top end right now for the early season races.