Are we there yet?

Well put from both of you. To me, training is what it's all about. Whether it's indoors during the winter, or out during the season, I think I "race to train" instead of "train to race". Of course the race/event is the gift that comes from training, to show yourself that it all paid off, and I love it, but IMO it's the training that's really the enjoyment and the true love for cycling. Racing is the 'goal' or destination, but it's the everyday rides and hard work that I really love the most. Just my feelings on it.

-Greg

cc-Just to reiterate as you put well, great work to all here. Just getting up every day and getting back on that bike is more than most people would even do. So again to all who train for any reason no matter the level, great job! Take some pride in that.

-js

I will 2nd that JS !!! You got to just look at all the media you see on TV/radio, about people making their New Years resolutions and not being able to stick to them, even some simple exercises or other health things. So to compare yourselves to the average American, you definitely should be proud.

I do all my training in the a.m., so it has been hard to motivate myself to get up and get things done, but I have been staying pretty dedicated. Finally getting over my cold and did some 20 min LT intervals yesterday with some high cadence roller work today and am feeling pretty good. Last Thursday I did some testing on cyclops trainer with a power meter to get my 1st power numbers EVER (I don't have one on my bike). I did the Carmichael CTS test which consists of two 8 min threshold intervals to get a baseline (guess I should have done this when I started training 6 weeks earlier). Long story short I went out to hard on the 1st interval and blew up, the 2nd interval I was a bit more sensable and I did slightly better than the 1st. 2nd interval I was able to average 342W with an average HR of 169 bpm, all and all I was pretty pleased with my efforts. The average HR corresponds well with what I maintain during the 20 min LT intervals, so the testing was very informative.

We are going to test again in a month and my desire to go out and better my results is driving me to train harder!!

bgoetz->I have not heard Carmichael CTS test but I remember Dave telling me about a Monod (?) test which had various intervals of different time lengths which would also point to your FTP. In the end I have come to my own conclusion that the key piece of info from them is to give you a true number to develop your daily workouts around. If they give you a number too low or too high, it will just end with trouble in the long run. I like the full on hour test and honestly I do not even do it as a test, meaning today I will do it. Too many variables to control to make sure that one day will be my true FTP. I just look at my data for my last month and pick the high point for 1 hour.

Today I got in a great hour at SST as it is Thursday which is one full of hour of fun. Peak 60 minutes was a 213. Another snow day so had the place to myself, music loud, night of the demons on mute as Diora Baird was doing her thingie. Could life get any better?

Got off the bike, looked at the back tire as it was bit more bumpy than usual..

The pictures says it all. I guess that back wheel can get pretty hot on the CT and those Bontrager R7 are ****. Bougth a set in October.

Lucky off tomorrow and will change them up.

-js

JS- The only thing that I am using the numbers for is to gauge my progress, which is why doing the testing indoors on a trainer is best, as it will be most consistant from test to test. Besides I don't have a power meter, which is why I have to use the trainer at the shop with a power meter. When I race I won't use anything, power meter, HR monitor, etc. I feel that I do best by precieved effort in a race situation. I use the HR monitor as a check throughout my training noting where my HR is at and how I feel at that moment and to ensure that I am keeping a steady HR throughout my intervals, but mostly my max efforts are done by feel. I then am using the power meter to just get an idea of how I am doing. Not really sure that this is the best way to do things, it is just the way I am doing them now.

Originally Posted by bgoetz .

JS- The only thing that I am using the numbers for is to gauge my progress, which is why doing the testing indoors on a trainer is best, as it will be most consistant from test to test. Besides I don't have a power meter, which is why I have to use the trainer at the shop with a power meter. When I race I won't use anything, power meter, HR monitor, etc. I feel that I do best by precieved effort in a race situation. I use the HR monitor as a check throughout my training noting where my HR is at and how I feel at that moment and to ensure that I am keeping a steady HR throughout my intervals, but mostly my max efforts are done by feel. I then am using the power meter to just get an idea of how I am doing. Not really sure that this is the best way to do things, it is just the way I am doing them now.

FWIW, I use a 20min test to estimate FTP. I also do this indoors on a CT as there are fewer variables than on the road making it a good way to gauge progress.

Today was a tough on-the-bike strength-training (low cadence high torque) session. I felt better than I thought I would going in, but I am very happy that tomorrow is my rest day!!! I train 6 days per week, and am noticing the daily grind starting to get to me. it is TOUGH this time of year!!!!

cc-> I hear you about looking forward to a rest day. I am a Monday/Friday kind of guy.

cc/bgoetz-> In the end no matter the method as long as we get the results we are hoping for. We all have different goals so all training becomes very personal in nature.

-js

Ok, Here at the "Mancave Training Center" We're new to the racing scene hoping to compete in my first Cat 5 events starting in April. I've been really focusing on building a solid Base and have been doing so 5-6 days, 9-10 hours weekly since last October. I'm a newbie here and so far love reading all the valuable tips! My goal for my first season is to ride hard and stay in the pocket. Hopefully by years end I'll have some real solid fitness and game time to build on next winter...

2/20 min sessions on the rollers at a moderate pace today, as a recovery. I am not sure what it was, but I was having a heck of a time staying focused and not ending up on the floor. Tomorrow I will try to get some seat time. I typically go back and forth from trainer to rollers to keep things entertaining.

1k->nice setup, I like your goals. I am the same as I want them to be something I have to reach for but not so out there that probably will fail. I think setting a reasonable goal is key to success.

bg->really thinking about these rollers as I keep hearing them from folks. What is the difference and advantages vs. disadvatanges? The only thing I can figure so far is the balance issue of the rollers.

-js

js- Rollers are great training tools that allow me to work on completely different things than the trainer does. Don't get me wrong it does take some skill and balance to stay on these things, but the biggest benefit is it makes you a very smooth rider at a higher cadence. Because there is no load like on a trainer you can ride @ 120+ rpm, the key is the higher your cadence the more you tend to bounce in the saddle, which can make things interesting on the rollers, I can also sustain a higher HR. So with practice you get smooth and efficient at higher cadences, couple this with your power training and it should help to make you a more powerful rider that can reach a higher cadence effectively. A word of caution though they do require a lot more focus than the trainer, a second of lost focus and you could end up on the ground, ask me how I know /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

3hrs on the trainer today at 85% of FTP. . . now I am putting my legs up and watching TV.

1hr spin class today with the wife. I pushed myself pretty hard throughout the class although all of that standing gets kind of annoying. I too am sitting with my feet up watching some TV (Pawn Stars). I think next week I am going to start mixing in some 2 a days (a.m. and p.m), as my first race is about 1 month out.

After spending 1hr on the rollers yesterday morning at a steady high cadence and then 1hr on the trainer yesterday evening at a steady high cadence, I woke up this a.m. with the intention of doing a "2 a day" today and realized that it is to much to quick. I ended up doing 1hr at an endurance pace today, with 3 8 minute max intervals mixed in, my legs are tired. I really feel like I need to put in some LSD training and with a blizzard outside my options seem limited to the trainer, I am just not sure that I can sit on the trainer that long /img/vbsmilies/smilies/frown.gif.

Yesterday had a great session as I finished above what I wanted I wanted 3x20,220 and I did 230, today I was beat but while I just did what I set out to do which was 2x30, 210 and I did 212 I was really happy. While the numbers were not as stellar as yesterday in terms of going above my intended goal, 10 minutes into my second 30 minute interval I was really thinking and feeling not today. I was starting to feel the pull of CT on my pedal strokes. I dug deep and pulled the last one out. Satisfaction achieved. This weather is really getting me in a funk also.

The other thing happening which I am not sure how happy this makes me but I had old cycling jerseys that were M and were too tight too wear. I took this really old one out from the Race 2 Replace event in Indy from years ago when I was in Indy that weekend. It fit really well, maybe too well. I think I am really loosing the upper body for sure.

-js

Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

Yesterday had a great session as I finished above what I wanted I wanted 3x20,220 and I did 230, today I was beat but while I just did what I set out to do which was 2x30, 210 and I did 212 I was really happy. While the numbers were not as stellar as yesterday in terms of going above my intended goal, 10 minutes into my second 30 minute interval I was really thinking and feeling not today. I was starting to feel the pull of CT on my pedal strokes. I dug deep and pulled the last one out. Satisfaction achieved. This weather is really getting me in a funk also.

The other thing happening which I am not sure how happy this makes me but I had old cycling jerseys that were M and were too tight too wear. I took this really old one out from the Race 2 Replace event in Indy from years ago when I was in Indy that weekend. It fit really well, maybe too well. I think I am really loosing the upper body for sure.

-js

Are we there yet?

Drove by this accident yesterday on my way home.... lovely 22 mile, 2 1/2 hour commute... Another 20 inches today... Hate my snow blower and loving my wind trainer!!

js- Last year at this time I was 225 lbs and around 12% body fat, I am now down to 197 lbs. I have not checked my body fat, but considering that some of my shirts are baggy around my arms from being stretched out, I am guessing that I have lost a considerable amount of muscle mass, so I know all to well how you feel.

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

-js

Are we there yet?

HI js,
Congrats on a great workout! The winter will be over before we know (or so I am trying to convince myself). Another couple of months on the CT, maybe less, and we'll be back on the road! I am ready to start counting down the days. I am actually starting my last indoor training phase next week, so I am definitely starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. But for now, I am enjoying a rest week.
-CC

bg->Before I started the bike I was heading for 185 but not a very fit 185, 2 years ago I was a very fit 180 with about the same bf. Since I started I am 167 and I can just look into the mirror to see the smaller upper body. All considered, 46 now, LB issues from accident and my focus on cycling I see this as a very good thing. This is a thin man's game no matter how they try and paint it. Much easier to loose weight than add watts. There is a reason why they look that way in all the images you see of cyclists.

CC-Thanks for the word. It seems someone is really excited to get back out there now! Given the condition of the roads and temp here in NYC I just can not imagine in 6 weeks all will be ok. Honestly though when I did do crits/races that was the best time as a smaller field. I used to like to skip the first couple races cause that is the biggest fields, the newbies and the most accidents. I was thinking if I can get back into it this year I would start towards the end of the year. This is a rebuilding year and until I see >250 and how I perform in some group rides I probably will not consider it.

As I get closer to 250 I may start to do like you and add more rest. I may even go to a 2 x 20 as I will be getting at the wall I hit in the past. Almost forgot, Thursday so I did 1 x 60 and it came out to 220. I am happy but I think I may be starting to get the flu around here. I felt so tired like my eyelids weighed a ton. In the first 20 minutes I really just wanted to get off the bike, lay down and take a nap. Luckily the feeling went away as I got into the 60 minutes. Unfortunately it is back now!

-js