Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

My love/hate deal with the speedplay pedals is still on going. I went over a big bump that bounced one of the bottles in the behind the seat bottle cage out onto the road on onto a ever-so-slightly-damp grass verge. I think I picked up about the same weight in mud as Alberto was measured to have clenbuterol in his system and it took a while to get clipped in and I couldn't unclip.
I did a race last year that was 50% dirt. After the race I stopped at the finish and talked with a couple other cyclists and then rode back to where I parked and where the wheel car had dropped my spare wheels. Well, when I stopped I couldn't unclip and totally fell over. Everyone was putting their bikes back in their cars and just stopped and stared, it was kinda embarrassing..

js-Thanks! My weeks were broken up 12hrs, 14.5hrs, 16hrs. This last week was particularly hard, my total TSS was around 770. The next 3 week block adds an hour to each week and a bit of intensity, the block after than another hour and more intensity to each week. Hopefully, my fitness improves a bit, because this last week cooked me......

Last night I was scheduled for 2 x 30's. I am extending my interval sessions a little at a time to get up to a full hour or more of power. I do a 1 x 60 indoors at least once a week, but I typically end up with a 0.85 for the hour.

I had one of those incredible sessions last night that really had me excited. The first 30 ended with an 1.0 IF and I backed it down to a 0.91 IF on the second. The first interval felt just a touch under doing a FTP test, but I felt as if I had more in me. The second I think I could have almost matched the first. That is how good the entire training session went. Part of me wanted to let the engine rev and see what it had, but I kept my sanity with thoughts of the Saturday group ride. Very encouraging, but so much work to be done. All sessions this week were on the e-Motion rollers.

CTL was at 84 last night and could have been higher, but I missed a couple nights this week due to a work deadline coming today. That must be why I felt good training last night with a couple of nights giving the ole legs a rest. Possible group ride tomorrow if the rain holds off. If not it is back to the rollers, but doubtful I am going to do one of those epic indoor efforts like js and bg.

Got in a good ride yesterday. My 60 mile loop is taking much less than 3 hours. Interesting to see the effect on TSS from knocking the FTP up 10 watts. Getting the "brevet" position dialed in nicely. Decidedly unbrevet like but it's not something you'd really see in a prologue event - unless it was Lance.

I was supposed to go out and get another 3 hours in today but going out to a concert last night and knocking the froth of a fair few cold brews before the show and a few more afterwards kinda put the kybosh on that. Getting home at 5:30am didn't help either. LOL. Didn't roll out of bed until 3:30pm. :)

@felt, nice dude. I really like the high IF and the CTL hitting in the mid 80s.

@swampy, mazing how just 10 watts can make a difference on the long rides. In the first 2 hours I always think no problem to hit the 3 hour mark until I get to about 2hr 30 minutes and want to die.

I was in Florida all of last week and did not bring the bike. It was good as just too busy anyway. On Friday I wanted to use the ERG in the gym. Went down and saw it was a PRECOR. I am sorry but that had to be the absolute worst brand of ERGs I ever ride. I was never that uncomfortable in my life. The next day my knees were bothering me and my back was achy. Never again on PRECOR.

Today I got back and wanted to see how much CTL dropped. It was down to a bit higher than 81 from the high of 98 right before I left. I put in three hours today and it felt harder than I thought it should but figure it may take a day to get used to it again. Atleast the CTL got back to 83 again. Tomorrow will be another 3 hour jaunt and back to the early morning hour. That will be tough!!

-js

Doing the ride was OK - just commenting on the fact that TSS was a bit lower than expected... Not that I'm really too, too fussed about that.

The hamstrings were a bit sore but not sure if that was from riding for a couple of hours with the bars lower or from the tomfoolery that happened later than night. I'll find out tommorrow night on the trainer I guess. I'm hoping it's the latter and not the former.

Got a new PC and need to go through the semi PITA task of reinstalling software...

@swampy, I thought I was the only one who used the expression PITA. The longer on the trainer the tighter the hamstrings. But I am always sore by hour 3 on the trainer.

Today was tough, woke up at 5:30 and really need to be up by 5 so I could only get in 2 1/2 hours by the time I am on the bike. I think though the body is bucking back as long trip and trying to get right into 3 hour rides again. Funny thing but travel beats me up and tough to get back in the saddle for long hours. Today when I was changing I did a quick turn while sitting and a pain shot into my right hip. Came from my lower back and only into the hip is not terrible but iced it a bit and all well now.

-js

If you're hitting 2:30 and suddenly "want to die" I'd check the amount of calories that you're getting and taking in during the first two hours.

PITA. I think there's just you, I and a whole heap of other folks that still use that one although people tend to be a lot more politically correct and rarely use the expression in it's spoken form.

@swampy, you may be right I was actually trying to drink less as I just drink too much during my training rides. But outdoors I get away with a couple bottles.

-js

here is my update.....

I AM SO HUNGRY!

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

....at the moment me and my stomach are in complete disagreement about entering into this watts/kg issue.

As long as you're still eating a sensible amount then you'll get used to it. My own experience has shown that it's easier to deal with initially if you take the time to include some of your favorite foods on a regular basis but after a few weeks the reduced amount starts to seem more normal.

Don't become a slave to the bathroom scale though, especially if you're having issues at around the 2 1/2 hour mark in your training sessions that might not be due to just going a bit too hard.

If adding some extra calories doesn't do it for you during the 3 hour ride, consider backing off a bit during the first hour. You really need to be able to still get the gear over during the last hour of the session and coming back really smashed doesn't help with consistent weight loss because you'll likely end up trying to satiate the ranvenous hunger beast right after the ride.

Once you find the not-so-fine-line between racking up lots of TSS (and if you're doing mostly L2/L3 lots of KJ's) and eating enough you'll start losing weight really easily.

I know how your feel, Felt. Now I have a bagel with butter ready to go as soon as I am finished. It really hits the spot. I usually have a protein shake not to far away also.

I noticed when I slowed down food in-take this time of the year especially, a cold was not too far behind.

Today I went back to my usual liquid in-take and finished the 3 hours pretty well. Something magical about 3 hours as my TSS was ~165 which was the highest this week. Tomorrow I am off. I finished strong but I am achy all over.

-js

Going back to a comment you made earlier JS about drinking too much on rides, unless you're stopping to go pee several times during the ride or your stomach just feels like a washing machine with the liquids just sloshing around (especially on a 4+ hour ride) then I don't think it's possible to drink too much. If you do drink too much you'll either pee like a race horse fairly often or at worst (unless you go overboard with plain water and suffer from hyponatremia) get a bit of nausia - both are taken care of fairly quickly. However, should you drink too little and struggle because of it, the rememdy isn't quite as quick.

If you're looking for an alternative source of ease to consume goodies - ensure plus is 350Kcals of RAAM approved goodness in a small 8oz bottle. Tasty too. ;) Some RAAM riders were getting 5,000Kcals per day from ensure.

There's also some evidence that consuming a higher about of dietry fat may help:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/nutrition/fat-and-the-endurance-athlete.aspx

Originally Posted by jsirabella .

I noticed when I slowed down food in-take this time of the year especially, a cold was not too far behind.
js, it's interesting you say this - I was reading an article on Yahoo a couple weeks back about remedies for cold prevention (grain of salt kinda stuff) but a Swedish research team recently concluded that an abnormally large breakfast was very good from an immune system standpoint.

@swampy, yes pretty much hit it on the nose. After about hour 2, the stomach feels like a washing machine and the last couple of days I thought I was going to hurl. I am sweating like a pig and just looking for any relief to make this third hour end. My brain seems to run to the liquids as last resort but it does not help :( Just as painful, with it and a bit feeling of nausea to boot!

It is not a hunger thing or a thirst think but a looking for relief thing. My mouth does get dry but I really do not need it.

@dan, I agree with the article 100%. Year after year if I start eat a bit less during this time of the year, the cold comes on big time. It starts with general fatigue and weakness. Once weather gets better and start to add in the harder efforts with less time per session than I can take the calories down.

But the weather around here is nuts, it is like close to 50 right now in NYC!!

-js

The temperature is not bad at all here in NYC but the wind makes it like riding through mud! That was some tough wind out there today!

Good day on the trainer today, 3 hours and 180 TSS. Best since back from Florida and feeling pretty good over all. Nothing amazing to report but hopefully all is back to well.

While probably not the place to post, anyone have a suggestion for a good starter TT frame. Nothing that will break the bank but will get the job done.

-js

felt they look nice! I can definitely say no one I have seen around here riding one. Have not looked enough into TT frames but 1k is a bit pricey but it is new and seems good quality. I will be checking around ebay also.

Today was an interesting day, my body was up for a good ride as not achy at all but mentally I just did not want to get out of bed and on the bike. By the time I got to the office I would only have 2 hours to ride as someone was coming in to the office to finish a cut with me of this episode we need to have ready by next Wed.

I had a TSS of a bit higher than 180 yesterday and thought today than would be the perfect day to try to get a 150 but lets put in most time at >230. I knew my body was up for it but not sure if mentally ready. The first 40 minutes was warm up and than just put the trainer on 230 and settled in. I saw yesterday that when not mentally into it I am much better off putting into my 53 and grinding away from 85-90 cadence. I do not sweat as much nor do I need bottles of liquids. The first 30 was a bit tough but after that my body settled in and did 1h, 20m @230. I could have done 1h, 30m, I am sure but did not have the time. Could have done 2 hours, I do not think so.

I was really happy with this result cause I was worried all the L3 time at the 190-220 area would make the higher numbers way too hard and I would fall short. Not the case at all. Using as guides TSS scores and body feel I can really see the benefits now. L3 is the bomb. I would recommend to folks stay in L3 and as it feels too easy just push it up which will put you into the SST area. Also rides of >150 seem to really be giving me the most rewards. Well anyway TSS of 155 and my CTL is at 90.

One other thing I find TSS scores to be quite accurate in how I feel after a ride. Yesterday while the 180 did not have as much time in the higher numbers, it felt harder than todays 155. I may be getting the hang of this stuff after all.

This year could be a good one! Hope all are having fun out there.

-js

jsirabella said:
@swampy, yes pretty much hit it on the nose. After about hour 2, the stomach feels like a washing machine and the last couple of days I thought I was going to hurl. I am sweating like a pig and just looking for any relief to make this third hour end. My brain seems to run to the liquids as last resort but it does not help :( Just as painful, with it and a bit feeling of nausea to boot!
It is not a hunger thing or a thirst think but a looking for relief thing. My mouth does get dry but I really do not need it.
@dan, I agree with the article 100%. Year after year if I start eat a bit less during this time of the year, the cold comes on big time. It starts with general fatigue and weakness. Once weather gets better and start to add in the harder efforts with less time per session than I can take the calories down.
But the weather around here is nuts, it is like close to 50 right now in NYC!!
-js
Are you sweating like a pig indoors or out... Or both? Indoors is easy - big fan. A $2000 bike does you no good on the trainer if all you have is a $30 12" fan. Bigger fans can move a bigger volume of air and consequently don't require you to run the fan at high speed. If you have a smaller fan running at high speed pointed right at your head you'll likely end up with a dry mouth. How big a fan? If its easy to move around - its too small! Outdoors - obviously, wear less. If you suffer a bit from breathing woes the old hi-tech solution of a sheet of newspaper up the front of the jersey lets you keep your chest warm while allowing the rest of you stay cooler. I'm sure there's a fancier solution to the newspaper... Stomach slosh - a bit of solid food will do the trick. Moist cereal bars, banana, pj&j sammich... Whatever works for you, works. Something tasty, high in calories, moist and easy to chew.