Are Ye Dutch Or Amish?

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
I got tired of living in my Amish Paradise and rode over to the next State today to inspect their Amish Paradise. I stopped to take a picture with my iPotato (all the Amish keep one in their pockets if the Bishop allows them to have pockets) of the entrance to Pennsyltucky.

I swore I heard banjo music playing and a couple of Harley bikers were drinking beer in the bar's parking lot behind me. Ohio...where we conveniently locate bars on all state line roads! Come for our vistas! Stay for our happy hour!

0411151403_zpsrvkxkk3i.jpg

Oh...I saw no beavers. Son, I am disappoint.

Ia that a long parking lot there with the white lines? Not use to seeing anything that flat.

You should come to Michigan - tour Detroit, dodge gang bangers, mentally deranged street people, and crack ho's instead of buggies and beavers - be a nice change of pace for you

Quote by swami:
"... and you're riding Shimano?"

All Winter. It's the perfect craptastic components for the salt, road grit, water runoff, potholes and cyclocrossing. I like the pedals. The rest is just meh ****.

Quote by JH:
"Ia that a long parking lot there with the white lines? Not use to seeing anything that flat."

Yeah, it flattened out in the last couple of miles before the State Line. About a mile worth of vertical on this ride. Most of it the same 200' over and over and over and over...

The first and last 3 miles of the ride is flat, then you straight up a STRAVA segment climb that is a wall. There was enough grit on the road and my nose was leading the front wheel so much that it was easy to spin the rear tire.

The longest climb was maybe a mile in length and gained about 400'. I never checked during a climb for gradient, but as a guess I would say 15% or so was the steepest I saw. The ride to the border I use is nice quiet County roads until the last 10 miles. Then it's a jump on and off a State route as the back roads get fewer and fewer. Still, a somewhat safe and very scenic ride.

Never ran out of gears with the 39x25, but I sure was in it a lot. Spun it out off a couple of those big downhills in the 53x11 wishing I had more on top though.

Quote by MBB:
"You should come to Michigan - tour Detroit..."

No problem! I'll get the Suburban up-armored and have a turret installed.

Well, me and one of the kids are off to do a metric to shake my legs out.

Just got back from trianing some fat ugly dogs to run faster. Absolutely perfect weather.

CAMPYBOB said:
I got tired of living in my Amish Paradise and rode over to the next State today to inspect their Amish Paradise.

0411151403_zpsrvkxkk3i.jpg

Sweet bike... ;) Is it one of those "Lighter then light" new Treks? Is it a 56 or 58? Are these alu-wheels? Is it that new 5800 105 stuff on it? How light is it???

Btw, it kinda shocks me how similar that place looks to some of the places around here, even though it's half across the planet away... I was expecting orange trees and three headed octopuses flying in the air but... :D

MotownBikeBoy said:
Cute - after thou finished thine ride, didst thou party like it's 1699?

That... was pretty funny actually. :D

jhuskey said:
Just got back from trianing some fat ugly dogs to run faster. Absolutely perfect weather.
They say that if you stop they stop too! ;) Would you like to try this with our "free range Part Russian Immigrant mobster Pit Bull - Part Paranoid Fascist Doberman - Part Peasant Rottweiler" strays that run around here? :D

I went for a night ride the other day. Like pitch black night ride to a near by forest to jerk off with ehmmm, "assess" the new headlight I got and at some point I heard alot of barking:

woof.png

Quote by Volnix:
"Is it one of those "Lighter then light" new Treks?"

Yup. It's made out of 99.99% pure Helium. The bike store owner and I go back to 1974 when he opened his first shop ( He has 4 shops now spread out in cities in the region) and he gave me a decent price on it.

"Is it a 56 or 58?"

56 and the head tube is STILL 10 MM too tall. TREK and their moronic H2 Fit. Bah! I like the frame for its stiffness and accuracy. I can throw it around pretty well. Today, in honor of Paris-Spesh Roubaix we rode over a road that makes Belgium's Roman cobbles look like a super highway...the WREK just bombed over that **** and I didn't even look where I was pointing it. Plenty good enough to race on.

"Are these alu-wheels?"

Yeah, the OEM Bontrashers. They are stiff.

"Is it that new 5800 105 stuff on it?"

Yeah. I like the pedals. The rest is just typical noisy shitmaNO ****. Brakes ain't bad, but the pads are scrap. BB is starting to make the usual shitmaNO noises. At 1000 miles I'm surprised the retarded thing still goes around.

"How light is it???"

It's not. I have steel frame bikes from the 1980's that are as 'light' as this. It's slow powering out of corners and when you punch it the jump to ludicrous speed takes a few seconds...all due to weight. It 'feels' heavy' and it rides heavy. It specs around 19 pounds and I dropeed mega-grams putting on a lighter seat and carbon seatpost. It used to feel really top heavy. Now it feels just a little better when I rock the ***** around.

"Btw, it kinda shocks me how similar that place looks to some of the places around here, even though it's half across the planet away... I was expecting orange trees and three headed octopuses flying in the air but... :D"

Well, if I took you inside that biker bar and we did a couple hits of acid there's no telling how strange Ohio/Pennsyltucky would look to you!

Word: If you hear banjos playing....RUN!
[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

Quote by JH:
"Just got back from trianing some fat ugly dogs to run faster."

Why I ride with these kids I'll never know. Climb...climb....climb...climb! At least I pulled off a few sneak attacks on the climbs and got some decent gaps. He was wearing one of the new Spesh aero bowling ball helmets and running his 50 MM wheels so I worked the downhills and flats as hard as the climbs to stay on his wheel.

He has all this aero ****, yet cross chains something fierce and has a 30 MM stack of spacers under his stem...should I tell him?

"Absolutely perfect weather."

66 degrees here and sunny. The wind has been up for the last couple three weeks and today was no exception. At least the 43 MPH gusts we had last week have died down.

Riding in a short sleeve jersey for the first time this Spring! I wore tights and wanted to stash them, but Junior never gave me the luxury of anything more than a few seconds to down a gel.

Yes short sleeves and hell ..what else can I want? Oh yeah ,youth.

CAMPYBOB said:
the WREK just bombed over that **** and I didn't even look where I was pointing it. Plenty good enough to race on.

Yeah, the OEM Bontrashers. They are stiff.

Yeah. I like the pedals. The rest is just typical noisy shitmaNO ****. Brakes ain't bad, but the pads are scrap.

It specs around 19 pounds

Well, if I took you inside that biker bar and we did a couple hits of acid there's no telling how strange Ohio/Pennsyltucky would look to you!

Word: If you hear banjos playing....RUN![SIZE=14pt] [/SIZE]

Why I ride with these kids I'll never know.

Doesn't it feel like riding a power breaker when you go over cobbles? There is a bit of cobbles that I sometimes go over and it just vibrates my ass worst then these belt ass - vibrators that they have on gyms! But it's an alu-bike...

It doesn't really feel like it's keeping traction either, especially in the wet. Do you use 25mm tires? What kind?

I don't know how long you used it but, are the wheels keeping true? Did you have to re-true them so far???

If you have pads issues check the Swissstop BXP (or blue) pads... If your brakes are as good as last years Ultegra (which I found really f@ckin scary good on a test ride) these pads will be more then enough... Like alot more. Might it also be a cable issue?

I also had some problems with Shimano pads, and I had a pair of Dura-Ace ones for f' sake...

19 pounds sounds about normal... I was checking these bikes when they came out and they were advertising some models which weighted something like 6 kg... Are these another build?

Do they have different types of frames in the range of that bike? Like 10r or 9r or something?

Are the pedals carbon? Did you... "Scratch them" on any pavement so far???

Sorry for the many questions but I am also kinda inclined on getting a carbon bike in the future, (although I am neither in a club, or compete, or train, or have any friends to go rides with, or the money to buy it, :D but I am still interested in them and search around. :) The current "favorite" is a GURU climb-bike of some sort, not aero, not endurance... Or maybe one of these "a touch of aero" LOOK ones... )

Oh and I would take my chances with the Banjos instead with the sheep dogs around here anytime... :D At least them you can invite for a beer or something. :D (Scary, woolly, dirty, big f'in ugly dogs running in packs, naaasty.)

So you don't know how to "Reach these kids"? :D

517ac7c85d2f9edbb52bbf0099ae046a957e44b64ca6b4b254d98146498ecb68.jpg

Quote by Volnix:
"Doesn't it feel like riding a power breaker when you go over cobbles?

It's not bad. The rear triangle is plenty stiff, but the saddle fits me well and the bars are well padded with some thick factory faux cork stuff. Overall, I like the way it rides and climbs. It's not a 'comfort bike' or something built out for Paris-Roubaix and at the same time I find it plenty easy on my almost 62-year old body. I think doing a 100-miler on it wouldn't be any worse than any of my other bike.

"Do you use 25mm tires? What kind?"

It came with some very stiff 23 MM Bontrasher R1's. They are heavy and lack response and there is very little road feel to them. They appear durable (I only have around a thousand miles on the WREK), but they sure aren't as nice as Vredestein Fortezza TriComps or Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tires. All of my clincher-tires are 23 MM. Only sissy's, Nancy boys and them thar metrosexuals ride 25 MM tires...and people that buy the latest 'trendy' stuff or believe those bizarre rolling resistance charts make them believe they'll be faster in real life.

"I don't know how long you used it but, are the wheels keeping true? Did you have to re-true them so far???"

So far, so good. I have not touched them. They are 24H 'J' head front and rear...pretty conservative and stout by today's standards. The cassette freehub is quiet, the bearings feel good. Like I said in another thread, they are stiff. Way stiffer than my 20-spoke count Mavic Aksiums. The Aksiums are way lighter and spin up much quicker. I haven't weighed the Bontrasher wheel/tire setup, but I guarantee you they are tanks. Wheels are made in Malaysia FWIW.

I bought another set of spare wheels for it (I didn't have any other wheels that take shitmaNO cassette splines...duh!) that will be lighter, but the Bontrashers are on until they finish repairing the Winter road damage...which should be completed by next November 30th.

"If you have pads issues check the Swissstop BXP (or blue) pads..."

Anything will be better than this shitmaNO **** pads. Sandpaper would be better. As would stale marshmallows. And compressed oatmeal.

"If your brakes are as good as last years Ultegra (which I found really f@ckin scary good on a test ride) these pads will be more then enough... Like alot more. Might it also be a cable issue?"

The calipers, themselves, are really solid. The front is not staying centered all that well, but the calipers seat the pads with a nice, solid 'thud'. Cables are Jagwire. The brakes move easily when the lever is pulled.

"I also had some problems with Shimano pads, and I had a pair of Dura-Ace ones for f' sake..."

shitmaNO is just so MEH! Overall there's no getting around it. I rode my Wilier/Campagnolo this afternoon for a fast, hard 32 miles of climbing and after being off it for months I was amazed by just how good Campagnolo stuff is. It was solid, smooth, quiet, positive and no fuss at all.

I did try to break the brake levers...Note to self: Campy brake levers do NOT move sideways like shitmaNO levers. And the inside shift lever works opposite of shitmaNO's...duh. Campy blades get you a bigger size gear and shitmaNO blades get you a smaller size gear. Gah! A few of the hills I hit had me shifting like a rookie or a moron that bought shitmaNO ****.

One thing I despise about shitmaNO shifting is the swinging brake lever. What dumbass thought that one up? And SRAM copied them?!?! Moronic design.

"19 pounds sounds about normal... I was checking these bikes when they came out and they were advertising some models which weighted something like 6 kg... Are these another build?"

There's the 'S' Frame, a lighter 'SL' frame and a frame with no weight at all...the 'SLR'. Depending on components the SLR build with SCRAM goes right around 10-11 pounds. That's freakin' scary light!

And thanks to TREK build specs there's plenty of heavy **** components bolted on from the factory that make zero sense at all and you can throw them in the trash after you buy a nice light carbon component that actually works for you like...oh...say...that sweet DEDA SuperZero carbon seatpost in the picture that actually has some real setback to it! Or the Bontrasher Paradigm seat I sub'd that weighs about 150 grams less than the OEM one.

"Do they have different types of frames in the range of that bike? Like 10r or 9r or something?"

TREK builds a shitload of EMONDA models. Mine is just an 'S' frame with 5800 105 stuff slapped on it. 'SLR' level carbon with SCRAM Red Black & Blue, a carbon saddle with zero padding and wheels that will fold up with the first unseen pothole is the ten point something pound version.

"Are the pedals carbon? Did you... "Scratch them" on any pavement so far???"

I haven't beat the carbon pedals up so far. They are Ultegra models. Other than the cheap sounding 'click' when I unclip they are comfortable, smooth, easy to enter and did I mention they were comfortable? To me, the pedals are the best part of shitmaNO and it gives me great pleasure to stomp on them over and over and over.

"Sorry for the many questions but I am also kinda inclined on getting a carbon bike in the future, (although I am neither in a club, or compete, or train, or have any friends to go rides with, or the money to buy it, :D but I am still interested in them and search around. :) The current "favorite" is a GURU climb-bike of some sort, not aero, not endurance... Or maybe one of these "a touch of aero" LOOK ones... )"

I think the Ultegra 'SL' Emonda might be the sweet spot in the Emonda line. I just wanted to try the Emonda and I needed a winter beater bike and again, my dealer friend was very accommodating. I could ride this Emonda all summer and not lose any sleep over it, but I sure would turn red if my friends saw me on shitmaNO stuff. I have a reputation of class, quality, good breeding and great taste to uphold!

Seriously though, check out the Wilier Izoard XP with 105 or Ultegra if you want a great ride quality for reasonable money. I think Competitive Cyclist is still stocking the Izoard XP and I know a couple of the English web dealers stock them. VAT might be insane though.

"Oh and I would take my chances with the Banjos instead with the sheep dogs around here anytime... :D At least them you can invite for a beer or something. :D (Scary, woolly, dirty, big f'in ugly dogs running in packs, naaasty.)"

Wild dogs get lead poisoning around here. Beer and hillbillies go together though.

CAMPYBOB said:
"It came with some very stiff 23 MM Bontrasher R1's. They are heavy and lack response and there is very little road feel to them. They appear durable (I only have around a thousand miles on the WREK), but they sure aren't as nice as Vredestein Fortezza TriComps or Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tires. All of my clincher-tires are 23 MM. Only sissy's, Nancy boys and them thar metrosexuals ride 25 MM tires...and people that buy the latest 'trendy' stuff or believe those bizarre rolling resistance charts make them believe they'll be faster in real life."
"Anything will be better than this shitmaNO **** pads. Sandpaper would be better. As would stale marshmallows. And compressed oatmeal."
"The calipers, themselves, are really solid. The front is not staying centered all that well, but the calipers seat the pads with a nice, solid 'thud'. Cables are Jagwire. The brakes move easily when the lever is pulled."
"One thing I despise about shitmaNO shifting is the swinging brake lever. What dumbass thought that one up? And SRAM copied them?!?! Moronic design."
"There's the 'S' Frame, a lighter 'SL' frame and a frame with no weight at all...the 'SLR'. Depending on components the SLR build with SCRAM goes right around 10-11 pounds. That's freakin' scary light!"
"Seriously though, check out the Wilier Izoard XP with 105 or Ultegra if you want a great ride quality for reasonable money. I think Competitive Cyclist is still stocking the Izoard XP and I know a couple of the English web dealers stock them. VAT might be insane though."
I just got some new tires, some Vittoria Rubino Pro "Tech" ones (150 TPI) which are supposed to be a bit more durable then the plain Rubino Pro's... Previous to those was a pair of GP4000's and I tried a single Maxxshit Detonator (at 60 TPI)...

The Conti' were 330 TPI (or 3 x 110 or something). they did get alot of cuts, but the cuts were very small... The Maxxshit ones, got 2 cuts on the first 200km but they were really deep and the tube was swealing out. After about 600km on the Rubino's I just noticed that some small cuts already started to appear, but the roads here are "Stalin-Style" and they are kinda sponsored by the local Car Repair Garages... :p

I'm not sure what's best so far. The 330 TPI ones, did get cuts, but they were small and they were not f'in up the whole tire immediately. The Zide-valls though were so utterly sh^tty that they did get a proper tear at 2000km... The Maxxshit ones got totaled at the first 200km.

So, comfort aside (the 60 TPI Maxxshit one was even more comfy then the 150 TPI Vittoria, but the Vittoria is a bad-road tire or something), they say that Higher TPI tires are less durable then lower TPI tires. But do lower TPI tires get f'ed even more then higher TPI tires when they do get damaged eventually? Real conditions are quite different then the lab results they put on the websites maybe...

Btw, I was planning on getting the Rubino's on 25mm. The 23 ones are 240g and the 25 ones are just 20grams heavier. I was planning to do that so they would wear out a bit slower and maybe get a few less flats (zero flats on the 23's so far) but if you calculate the Versace Shirts and Hair Product then maybe they are even less "value" then the 23's. :D

2. - 3.

Swissstop BXP's... They do what they say, and for a "wet" compound brake pad they don't wear out fast either... If you wanna skimp on the 20euro they cost for 2 pairs, I had a pair of V-Brake pads that were stopping even better then the SWISSSTOP ones and they were 3 euro for the pair. But they got worn out pretty fast...
I was thinking of getting the Swissstop GXP's (green ones, something like KoolStop's "Salmon" ones), which are supposed to be a semi-wet compound but I didn't find them and I am not crazy about e-shopping no more... But the Blue ones are just good enough so maybe I would not get the same good results with the Green ones.

Btw, I just changed all the cables on the bike. I also had the JagShitire cables, which, they seem Ok... But with the new Shimano cables the whole thing works perfectly... The brakes (simple tektro and 2300 levers) work -alot- better and the 2300 drivetrain is now fantastically accurate... It's as accurate as that Ultegra bike I tried!!!

You will probably find alot more stuff that you don't like about Shimano down the way. :p I also agree that the 2 - way moving brake lever is just plain silly. I would prefer to have a dedicated brake lever too... Also, you know that Shimano doesn't do parts yeah? :D For 105, you -might- find some parts. I don't know up to how specific though... So if you just want a lever you might need to buy it -with- the housing etc... I came across a webshop that stocks Shimano parts, if you wanna have a look:

http://bicikli.de/shop/Home

Yeah, I would prefer to actually cut down a bit on the Kebabs and lose a couple of kg's then wearing a 5kg cast. :D

Hmmm, I forgot about the Willier. Nobody stocks them around here though, or they might do I haven't looked too well. Btw now that the EUR is doing slightly better then the Burmese Kyat US shops don't make the sense they used to if you add VAT.

Oh, I also went for a nice spring ride yesterday and made a photo! :D I also made sure that the grass on mine looks Greener then the grass on yours! Lololol :D

070420121153.jpg

Our grass is just now turning green again. I will probably have to mow next week. Once that ******** starts, it never ends. The trees have not started budding yet, but that will start soon too.

When I leaned the bike against that concrete State line marker there was nothing but weeds and briars and lots of tossed beer cans and energy drink bottles around it...America's scenery, **** yeah!

I doubt that I buy many shitmaNO small replacement parts. Their craptastic components are at almost giveaway prices. You can buy a whole group for what a Campy chain and cassette cost.

I think Jagwire cables are over-rated. They fuzz up when wiped down with an oily rag and one of my training partners uses the high-end Jagwires. They flaked off the super hyper molecularly slickimost polymer coating. That jammed up his rear derailleur so bad that he thought he needed a new rear D.

CAMPYBOB said:
I doubt that I buy many shitmaNO small replacement parts. Their craptastic components are at almost giveaway prices. You can buy a whole group for what a Campy chain and cassette cost.

A pair of Campy Veloce brifters here is 100 euroz... A pair of ClariSh^t... Also 100 euroz... ?

Campy seems to be cheaper here for brifters...

The derailleurs though are more expensive. The Claris one is about 20euroz, but the the Veloce one is about 40+ euroz...

CAMPYBOB said:
Our grass is just now turning green again. I will probably have to mow next week. Once that ******** starts, it never ends. The trees have not started budding yet, but that will start soon too.

No, no, no, :D that won't scare anyone! On-The-Top! :D

070420121157.jpg

12.1.JPG

MotownBikeBoy said:
Nice pics of your mysterious European location there, Volnix.

You'll never find me! :D

Unless you ask #JHuskey and he has NetStat Agent. Then I'm f'ed. :D

Btw last time I checked the Forum's server was somewhere in California... Veeery suspicious. :p