Are you a bikeist, and hate roadies, or mtn men? Why?

bikeboyoriginal

Sep 19, 2003
If you hate the opposite bike group tell me why. We need to show love for one another. We have enough hate from others. Show some love. Roadies and Mtn men against the rest.

Cheesy alright but most of it is true.

Originally posted by bikeboyoriginal
If you hate the opposite bike group tell me why. We need to show love for one another. We have enough hate from others. Show some love. Roadies and Mtn men against the rest.

Truth is individually defined. And argument of foundation started from a negative point is ill defended. Hate is a strong word. I've never heard of the term "bikeist" before.

It would probably be better to start off with a statement that you would like to see the differently focused groups find commonalities rather than focus on their differences, then build bridges from there.

Finally, you may soon discover that many or most of the roadies here also own MTB's, and many or most of the MTB'ers also own and regularly ride road bikes. A fairly local bike shop owner who boasts the largest active team in the WORS WORBA series told me this summer that many of his members are getting active on road bikes to stay in shape and to "just ride right from their door instead of having to take their mountain bikes to the woods and trails".

This hate and separation you make note of may in fact be more etheral than actual, more web based than road/dirt based, more conceptual than physical, and may in fact only exist in a few limited minds.

And if you are trying to unite the roadies and mtn men against the rest, then I have to ask who are the rest - trackies? Or non-cyclists? In either case, if you are attempting to unite two or more groups then there should be no "against the rest", instead it should be "join us at our best".

Nice crusade though, carry on.

we cyclists love one another alike reguards of colour, creed, skill or cycling disipline! take note and heed my words....do the same!

I think when I ride on my Specialized MTB, and pass roadies, they just about always try to pass me back.

Pretty funny when they can't. I race UCI sanctioned races and ride for a road team. I also own a custom Fondriest road bike, so I enjoy both worlds.

Teff

Originally posted by teffo
I think when I ride on my Specialized MTB, and pass roadies, they just about always try to pass me back.

Pretty funny when they can't. I race UCI sanctioned races and ride for a road team. I also own a custom Fondriest road bike, so I enjoy both worlds.

Teff

i rode mtb for 3 years, 2 days a week i would hammer on
the streets, and pass roadies they would do the same
counter attack only to get dropped. xc mtb made me very
strong& fit riding the resistance of rocks & dirt going
up hills will do that. i felt like a change so i got rd bike
been riding that 3 months and i wont dare let a mtb
even think about passing me, or anyone else lol.

Originally posted by bikeboyoriginal

I think you've started with a false premise here. Roadies and MTB'ers are often the same people, and even when not, we tend to get along just fine. I don't think I've ever sensed hate, or even any sort of animosity, between the groups.

The occasional bit of friendly competition is fine. For a roadie, having a MTB'er with knobby tires trying to chase you down is great motivation to push harder. It's not that we have anything against the MTB dudes and dudettes, it's just that it can be humiliating to be passed by someone with significantly less efficient equipment*.

--Josh

* for riding on the road, that is. We roadies don't stand much of a chance on gnarly singletrack with our skinny, smooth tires and lack of suspension.

I apologize for offending anyone. I was trying to bring us closer together. By the replies, we already are.

I find roadies can be more serious and loose the plot of cycling and focus on the illustrious "win".
Trackies are even worse about winning.
Knobies are very laid back and cool about the whole racing scene and fashion, they are more fun to race with.

I agree, riding a XC hard build your abilty. XC riding also builds your skill to corner and manovour the bike when needed.

Brian