Are you a Cycling Dork?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Guest, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webfoot

webfoot New Member

my wife is extremely fast on flat to hilly smooth areas but I sure could use someone to ride with that likes to crank on the uphills and zip postal on the down. Have a great day. It's about the ride

2. robroy

robroy New Member

Have to admit to the non shaving of legs....sorry guys I just cant come at dragging the razor over them. I tend to agree with the wearing of Pro Team gear in that it reeks of dorkism however each and every individual to themselves. The camelbak welllll if there isnt water in abundant supply I'd rather be seen drinkin from the camelbak than collapsed on the side of the road from heat exhaustion

3. DurangoKid

DurangoKid New Member

If I'm out of bike socks, I fold down tube socks. Two folds shortens them to bike sock lengths. I fold them so that the logo faces out and the pile faces in. This folding technique mitigates dorkiness, I hope. Besides, tube socks are thick and cheap.

4. DeanPatterson

DeanPatterson New Member

5. prestonjb

prestonjb New Member

My dorkism is wearing carbon soled mountain bike shoes and mountain bike pedals (soon to be egg beaters) on my road-bike.

I used treadless shoes for about 15 years but decided to switch when I nearly busted my arse last year on a slick grocery store floor... I was also getting tired of the occasional slipup when trying to get started again from waiting at a stop light.

I waited until now because the mountain bike shoes are now stiff enough to not cause a hot-spot when using SPD cleats.

No more slippin' and slidin' and no more of that dorkish "duck-walk".

6. bstay

bstay New Member

One in a million isn't that bad at all. There's 260,000,000 people just in the US. That gives you roughly 130 men, and any woman with 130 men must be pretty exhausted. All you need is one, and your bike. Now if you start looking worldwide the numbers are staggering. You'll have 2500 men, and a whole bunch of them will be cyclists. I recently finished a 13 year marriage myself, and good therapy was to ride my bike every day. Sold my nice new Chevy Tahoe and bought a 15 year old Nissan Patrol instead so that I could afford a Colnago C40, the bike of my dreams. I would love to ride with you except that since your criterie is Charlotte, NC men, and me residing in the Middle East I kinda fall out of the picture. Sad to see happy people with a hollow section in their hearts. Good thing that we have our love for cycling to fill that hole at least partially.

7. bstay

bstay New Member

Hey Webfoot. Now I get jealous. I also want to go to Hawaii and stay in a Christian home for free. We can sit around after hammering/spinning sessions and bash hhhhmmmmpppppfffffhhhh or whatever his name is. Well, actually, that's not such a Christian way to behave. We should instead ask for his life to get a little more forgiving... Anyhoo, if you're in Dubai (fat chance...) you're welcome in my home.

:)

8. Centrust

Centrust New Member

I don't do most of the "dorkisms" outline above. Come on though, I am a 44 year old professional who works in an office and goes to clients' casual social gatherings in shorts. I'd be laughed out of town if my legs were shaved smooth.

Besides, aren't cyclists more of free spirits, so who cares what other people wear or do as long as they enjoy the sport. Get off the pecking order system. We put up with enough of that sh*t in everday life.

MLS

9. turbosnail

turbosnail New Member

One wet and muddy MTB ride converted me to black socks!

10. bstay

bstay New Member

Here's a trick. You dye your hair blond and then shave your legs. That way you can tell your clients that you're very fair haired and your hair doesn't show up much. If need be shave your whole body to get away with the misrepresentation.

;)

A

11. Chesapeake Boy

Chesapeake Boy New Member

100% dork here!!!!!! And proud of it!

#2 team jerseys... definantly....
    #4/5Nobody around here strips down and takes there shoes/riding shorts off... it is straight ot the bar!
    #7 Definantly tuck my shirt in....
    #8 I would turn myself on too much touching my shaved legs all the time!
    10a it happens, and I quit carring what anyone else thinks of me a long time ago... (unless she is really hot!)

12. The Joker

The Joker New Member

If wearing a world champ jersey makes me a dork - then I am

some people don't get irony.....

13. CHAZMO

CHAZMO New Member

Fortunately I have this "genetic" thing, I guess -- no hair on the legs. Folks who know I cycle think I shave my legs, so they think I'm that serious. Cool! But, if I had to shave them, I guess I'd have to wear leotards!

14. webfoot

webfoot New Member

ok. when we settle into hawaii in dec, all you possible dorks can come play as long as you dont bring a wal mart bike. actually had a guy with one say he wanted to upgrade his wally world bike with my used parts. now thats a dork!!!!!!!!!

15. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

My life is great because I do not believe in a fictional character like god. Wait I do believe in a fictional character, Jason Voorhees......

Memph

16. Seecyd

Seecyd New Member

Great -- And, I ride with this guy! --- LOL

Comment on men shaving their legs [even if they don't cycle, I've just met some football players who shave their legs too :)] --- Yummmmi !!!!!! -- A guy who looks like an ape on a bike... yuk!!!! But, that's just my own personal opinion.

17. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

She isn't even by g-friend. Just a women who drops me every Sunday.... :)

Memph

18. webfoot

webfoot New Member

next your gonna tell me you dont listen to Jimmy Buffet either. Think I'll have a parrothead dork cycle rallly and we will all wear team parrotead jerseys and shave our legs.

19. Memphmann

Memphmann New Member

:confused: ??????

20. Chuck King

Chuck King New Member

Helmet mirror ... OK so what about the ones that attach to the bow of your eyeglasses? Sorry, I'd rather be a mirrored dork than a dead duck. That's Chicago road cycling for you, maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.