Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Webfoot. I'm a little disturbed that you didn't look up your oz-beauty and offer to help her "mend her frame." After all, you have indicated that you were more than partly at fault... How can you sleep at night knowing that you might have scared a lycra goddess off the road and into the godforsaken bush? Time to invite her to Hawaii also!!!! We'll be a hole hammer group with camelbacks. :)

Originally posted by Brunswick_kate
Ha!! I can outdork the lot of you with one hand tied behind my back. My bike has fenders, a kickstand, a cracked mirror (double dork points for that one) and for the piece de resistance, I have a really weenie looking front handle bar basket and I don't have drop handle bars

I'm 40. I'm fat. I wear cycling shorts. And white socks. My fancy dance cycling shoes are ancient Doc Martens. I'm looking to upgrade to ultimate dorkdom toe straps someday...those clipless pedals just have too much cool for me to handle.

But being a dork is so much more than just equipment. I once spent 2 minutes jumping up and down on the activation pad at a traffic activated light, trying to trip the sensor which I thought was pressure sensitive.

Now that's a dork! I couldn't be cool on a bike if you locked me in a freezer.

Ride on!

Gosh Kate. I think we must limit ourselves to discussing cycling dorkism. Otherwise some of us really cool bike racing geeks will fall to the wayside. Us with slick minimalistic 15 pound race furnaces, clean shaven chiseled legs clad in black lycra, and brand print Castelli jerseys. We fit really well into the racing geek crowd, but I have been through several instances of a somewhat skewed sense of what's dorky in the "outside" world. Please stop, so that we can go on believing that we're at least a little cool. Otherwise I'll have to admit that I know that the bobbing head in the car that just passed me, is of laughter at a grown man riding a bicycle with shaved legs and tight spandex... Robin Hood! Here we come ;)

Ha!! I can outdork the lot of you with one hand tied behind my back. My bike has fenders, a kickstand, a cracked mirror (double dork points for that one) and for the piece de resistance, I have a really weenie looking front handle bar basket and I don't have drop handle bars

I'm 40. I'm fat. I wear cycling shorts. And white socks. My fancy dance cycling shoes are ancient Doc Martens. I'm looking to upgrade to ultimate dorkdom toe straps someday...those clipless pedals just have too much cool for me to handle.

But being a dork is so much more than just equipment. I once spent 2 minutes jumping up and down on the activation pad at a traffic activated light, trying to trip the sensor which I thought was pressure sensitive.

Now that's a dork! I couldn't be cool on a bike if you locked me in a freezer.

Ride on!

Kate. I'm sure you're not very fat. Otherwise you would've known that your mere weight would've been enough to set of the pressure sensor. No jumping needed. Besides, fat is a term women use. Most men would think in terms of cuddly ;) Us bike geeks think only in terms of performance... :cool:

all three of us use camelbacks and they are empty at the end of every daily ride. ( 70's ) like it says on the pack. hydrate or die. if its good enough for the military... we have used them for 3 years now. for 20 mile offroad rides to hundred mile road rides. I wouldnt leave home without them.

Hey Kate...in my mind you are the Queen! Ya~lol You're cool because you do what YOU want to do. Freedom to be comfortable with who you are rules...SMILES PS "FAT" is a state of mind if you are fit. I have met some"fat"people who can take on the skinny minnies and give them a run for their money.

Originally posted by bleachtblond
You can choose to leave and you will have lost a decent board because of pettiness...why not just faget about it and have a decent conversation?:) It isn't usually this way. It's just that Memph tends to irk one of us all the time. We get tired of it and end up spouting off. Read his posts. It's usually only Memph getting slammed.:)

Yes I get slammed, but that is because I have an opinion. Yes please read all 100 or so of my posts and then judge. It is only in this section that I voice so strongly. Due to a few ppl. Bleach tends to post just to be noticed.

What is faget?

Who is we? Do you have a French mouse in your pocket? Now you speak for everyone? You are the Queen.

Memph

How the heck can you be fat and fit? That is an oxy-moron....

Fat is not good. All the cute words do not hide the fact of being over weight. Just more over weight people attempting to make themselves feel better. Easier to be fat and not exercise. Then to be skinny and have to exercise....

Memph

Originally posted by crazeditalian
I just thought it was goofy, Bleach, for you to post your height, weight, your great shape, etc. Why not save the stats and all for Yahoo! personals?

Who ever knows if those are her real stats? The internet is a huge lie...

Memph

Originally posted by crazeditalian
Bleach, I didn't attack you personally. I just attacked what I believe is, in general, a silly, self-absorbed conversation that has NOTHING to do with cycling. I'm NOT going to say ANY MORE about this boring topic! For the last time..........let's talk about cycling, okay? I don't want to read the last 50 messages to attempt to figure out how we went from cycling to Bleach's buff bod and her 115-pound frame. For those who are all giddy about that kind of thing, there is the instant-messaging forum that 2 people can use privately.

Bob Roll rules! Go Bobke!

There are other sections in this forum that would be more to your liking. Try the road racing sections.

I agree that this is getting way off topic, but so is life......

If she is so buff, then why is she single???

Memph

Originally posted by bleachtblond
Goodnight everyone...I am tired (2:22 here) and really don't care to be slammed by Memph and a crazed Italian anymore. God Bless you all (even the crazed Italian and Memph) and have a pleasant night with good converstaion. :)

god has blessed me by giving me the ability to not believe in him.....

Memph

Originally posted by Seecyd
Well this conversation took a swift turn since I was here last. I thought this conversation had been taken care of. I see that Memph is getting himself into some trouble in here. All I can tell you is that personally, Memph is a very nice individual. He is patient and always looks out for me when out there riding. [whatever he's really looking at makes no difference to me LOL] He really does not need to be spending his sunday riding the "slow" ride with me, but he does. He has a lot of good qualities, that obviously like everyone of us here, can't see because all we see are words on the page. Why don't we take a bit of time to get past all the negativity...? There's already enough of it to go around in this world that it needs to seep into this thread. A good banter though is a lot of fun. And we are all beautiful people! right? [cough spatter choke] I have lived all over the world, and am european, but have lived in North America for the past 20 or more years. Every society has their idiosyncracies, idiocies, and sense of humour... and that's what makes this world a great place. Think how boring it would be if we were all the same. Ciao, and hopefully we'll get into another kind of debate. CC

You let my secret out :) Am not a nice guy, am mean I tell ya.

Now you are makng me blush my dear. Thanx.....

Memph

Originally posted by DeanPatterson
Originally posted by Stiff Upper Lip
Bob Roll rules...? Oh, yes you must be a cycling dork...this thread...But why? Bob never won a major race, but he competed for eight years, from 1992 until 1999.

Here's why: Roll started riding in 1980, and continued to ride as a prominent amateur until turning pro. He rode hard and rode tough, on both road and mountain, and was an easy pick for the 7Eleven team. But his following loves him not for his cycling results, but because he is such a character, and so expressive, in his own inimitable way. He has a lot of respect in the US cycling community.

Thank-you for the Bob education lesson. I knew little about him. Except that he loves to use those hands when he talks. Drives me crazy. Never realized that he had a following, thanx...

Memph

For those of you who think Bob Roll is just a humorous commentator on OLN one month out of the year.........He is actually a multi-talented, very accomplished cyclist in his own right. He's retired now, of course, but if you dig deep and listen and learn, you'll find out he was one of the most valuable American domestiques in the sport. He rode with the world's best riders in the 1980's, and some credit him with assisting fellow teammate Andy Hampsten in his 1988 Giro d'Italia win. He was a world-class rider who rode in the Tour de France 4 times. He later switched over to mountain bike racing, and was among the best there, as well. He's written one book and a second is coming out in about a month. "Bobke: A Ride On the Wild Side of Cycling" is one of the best cycling books out there. It has, unfortunately, been out of print for years so you might really have to work to get your hands on a copy. I had to have my county library (near Denver) borrow a copy from a library in Cincinnati. Bob is one of the most intelligent and interesting voices in cycling today.

More importantly......for those who are deep into Lance, his cancer, and subsequent recovery, and have read Lance's book......you will remember that it was his old friend Bob Roll that Lance called up to ride with him up the mountain in Boone, North Carolina......a now legendary ride during which Lance made the decision to remain in the sport. As the saying goes, the rest is history.

Originally posted by bstay
Gosh Kate. I think we must limit ourselves to discussing cycling dorkism. Otherwise some of us really cool bike racing geeks will fall to the wayside. Us with slick minimalistic 15 pound race furnaces, clean shaven chiseled legs clad in black lycra, and brand print Castelli jerseys. We fit really well into the racing geek crowd, but I have been through several instances of a somewhat skewed sense of what's dorky in the "outside" world. Please stop, so that we can go on believing that we're at least a little cool. Otherwise I'll have to admit that I know that the bobbing head in the car that just passed me, is of laughter at a grown man riding a bicycle with shaved legs and tight spandex... Robin Hood! Here we come ;)

I'm not ready to give up my Chief Dork status without a fight. I'm on the prowl for one of those completely goofy bright yellow rain ponchos. Then my cycling ensemble will be complete.

Cheer up, mate. At least you'll have an out -- if someone makes fun of your gear, you can now say with a straight face "Well, I'm not nearly as stupid looking as Kate. Hell, her shoes weigh more than my bike. "

Just one of the many services I offer...

I'm not ready to give up my Chief Dork status without a fight. I'm on the prowl for one of those completely goofy bright yellow rain ponchos. Then my cycling ensemble will be complete.

Cheer up, mate. At least you'll have an out -- if someone makes fun of your gear, you can now say with a straight face "Well, I'm not nearly as stupid looking as Kate. Hell, her shoes weigh more than my bike. "

Just one of the many services I offer...

Kate. I'm sad to say that you have completely missed the target. You are not at all a dork. You are simply a slightly overweight woman who likes to be active and ride a normal transportation bicycle. If you'd go to Europe and see all the people riding to and from work or shops you'd find that all of them ride bikes with a wire basket and wear rain ponchos when it's raining. They are not at all dorky; They're simply dressed for the occassion and ride a bicycle fit for the occassion.

I'll tell you what's dorky. It's dorky to dress inappropriately and use a bicycle inappropriate for the occassion. If you put your full on racing kit on, get your Colnago C40 off the hooks, and ride to the gas station to get a coke. That's pretty lame and dorky. If you on the other hand get on your city bike and ride to the same gas station wearing Doc's and regular clothes, that's cool. Any time you ride a bike instead of a car and dress for the occassion you're stylin'. However, if you really want to access the kingdom of dorkiness then you must become a man, get yourself a set of really skinny legs, wear worn out Ecco shoes with black dress socks, running shorts, t-shirt, old bell helmet with wind cover, helmet mirror, and an old ten speed with down tube shifters. That's major dorkiness, because absolutely no attention at all is paid to style. All went to function, and not even that, since old and crappy equipment is used and there's stuff nowadays that work much better. That's dorky.

You are not a dork because:

1) You're a woman. Women can not by definition be dorks. They are after all women, and even the most bizarre woman is at the end attractive in her own way. At least as long as she's a nice person.

2) You are too aware of what you wear. A true dork wouldn't even know that he was wearing Doc's on his feet. He only knows "shoes", "shirt", "hat", etc. He is completely unconcious of brand names.

Sorry Kate. You're not the queen of dorks. Take it as a compliment. However, the jumping incident seems to indicate quite a lively and funny girl. Once you get that yellow poncho you'll have a hard time fighting men off.

Originally posted by bstay
Sorry Kate. You're not the queen of dorks. Take it as a compliment. However, the jumping incident seems to indicate quite a lively and funny girl. Once you get that yellow poncho you'll have a hard time fighting men off.

Damn, another cycling goal shot all to hell.....and here I was off to such a good start.

I guess I'll just have to stick to hauling my frame up that *****ing hill that nearly busted my keister this afternoon.

And, bstay, I'll warn you straight up that I have a rather off-beat, arguably warped, Maritime Canada sense of humour. Folks 'round these parts are known for their ability to laugh at themselves and ludicrous things life can dish our way. Lots of people mistake our humour for lack of self-esteem or self-confidence when actually, nothing could be farther from the truth. We like to laugh and since it's impolite (and sometimes cruel) to laugh at others, then laughing at ourselves seems to be a good compromise.

Memphmann - I have enough of your posts to come to a conclusion. You are an a$$. Why? ONe can have an opinion and express it with out being an a$$. It appears that in your eyes not other people are worthy of having an opinion. SO someone says that you are really a nice guy... maybe you are in person... so than must mean that you really are a petty, tiny little man that suffers from an excess of computer testosterone... You tuff cuz no one can see you or put you in your place...

Sorry I personnally attacked you, but that is about all I have seen you do to others...

Damn, another cycling goal shot all to hell.....and here I was off to such a good start.

I guess I'll just have to stick to hauling my frame up that *****ing hill that nearly busted my keister this afternoon.

And, bstay, I'll warn you straight up that I have a rather off-beat, arguably warped, Maritime Canada sense of humour. Folks 'round these parts are known for their ability to laugh at themselves and ludicrous things life can dish our way. Lots of people mistake our humour for lack of self-esteem or self-confidence when actually, nothing could be farther from the truth. We like to laugh and since it's impolite (and sometimes cruel) to laugh at others, then laughing at ourselves seems to be a good compromise.

Lord thundering jesus, I know about east coast humour. My father is from Cape Breton, and have Newfie friends. When they speak, hard to understand them....

Memph

Originally posted by Chesapeake Boy
Memphmann - I have enough of your posts to come to a conclusion. You are an a$$. Why? ONe can have an opinion and express it with out being an a$$. It appears that in your eyes not other people are worthy of having an opinion. SO someone says that you are really a nice guy... maybe you are in person... so than must mean that you really are a petty, tiny little man that suffers from an excess of computer testosterone... You tuff cuz no one can see you or put you in your place...

Sorry I personnally attacked you, but that is about all I have seen you do to others...

OMG, what you just wrote puts you in the same class as myself. I know that I am an **** and damn proud of this fact. I do not beat around the bush and call it as I see it. If ppl do not like it then to bad. Atleast I can admit this.

So you are as tough and tiny as I am?? HA, little boy......

Sorry to say dude, the best part of you ran down your father's leg...

Memph

MEMPH~My reply to your words... Psalm 19:14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing / Proverbs12:16 A fool shows his annoyance at once but a prudent man overlooks an insult./ Porverbs 12:18-Reckless words pierce like a sword but the tongue of the wise brings healing.Psalm 109:3 With words of hatred they surround me and attack me without cause. Galatians5:22 But the fruit of the spirit is love,*joy,peace,patience, kindness goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self control.Matthew 5:44 But I tell you love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.Matthew 7:2 Do not judge, or you too will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.*Psalm 40:15 May those who say to me "AHA" "AHA" be appalled by their own shame. Psalm 35:20 They do not speak peacably but devise false accusations against those who live quietly in the land.(On being single)1 Corinthians7:40 In my judgement, she is happier if she stays as she is-and I think that I too have the spirit of God.Psalm 133:1 How good and pleasant when brothers live together in unity.Matthew 7:12 So in everything, do to others, what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the law and the prophets.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.