Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is okay, Ness. I only brought that one up because my friend told me about his embarassing stories...at stop lights on group rides when he first got his clipless. I have also seen it and it is very painful to watch.

But, don't feel bad. I just ordered a pair of SpeedPlay pedals from eBay. I will save up for the shoes later this summer. Then, everyone will be laughing at me, too. :) I just plan on keeping the release tension really loose until I get used to it. Maybe I can get someone to take a picture of me when I fall, and that way everyone can have a good laugh at my expense. ;)

Hehehe glad Im not the only one, one thing my uncle always told me when we talked about cycling was:
When you get clipless pedals.. You WILL fall
When you ride track.. You WILL fall

lol 8)

I think that the Pro Gear looks great and is usually high quality, definitly not dork'o'rama.
Let's see took care of # 3 last year, replaced w/ very cool Giro.
Sometimes guilty of number 5, but for limited time only, maybe at a food stop on the way home with a long t-shirt over the top.
Never guilty of #6, I look silly in a Bra. Will likely be guilty of # 8 for quite some time, course if the bra starts looking good...or I get that really good case of road rash.
Then again I'm also an engineer and have a pocket protector on the center pocket of my bike jersey, but that's cool isn't it?

Best clipless story for me...several years ago I bought a new bike w/ my first clipless pedals. During the inagural ride I was trying to get used to the bike, the pedals, etc. and as I was riding down the road just sort of ran sideways into a ditch. No cars, no dogs, just like the guys from "Laugh In". Just hit the ditcha dn fell sideways. Good for a laugh from my partneers.

I’m guilty of:

#2. I also think it’s quite cool to support your “team”; I’d rather wear team apparel than the local cycle shop colors.

#10. I use a Camelback, to me its much more practical than a bottle, for example, 2 hours into your ride would you rather drink hot Energade from a bottle or cold and refreshing Energade from a Camelback. Also it’s much easier to drink from a Camelback than from a bottle and I tend to drink more if I use a Camelback so I’m less likely to dehydrate.

Are these people for REAL?

What does he mean, "not having to focus on the front wheel"?

I can't say I followed a thing they were referring to, except for the knee pads. Sounded like a different world to me.

"skinny tires scare me"? WTF?

If I may - Cycling Dork Tip No. 12: A bib is not intended to be worn alone during a race. A cycling shirt will be mandatory with the bib. :D

Seen this one once or twice:

Use normal electrical insulation tape to firmly fasten a few Bar Ones to your crossbar......then, forgetting about their susceptiblity to the South African sun, attempt to remove same at kilometre 85!!

Dorkism

# 13: Posting on an internet forum about how dorkish members of the public are for essentially, trying to get fit.:rolleyes:

Being in such a hurry to miss the joke completely and posting a second no.13 "dorkism"

I'm a number 2 Dork! I have the full sarco team kit, the RED ONE, the BLACK LIGHTNING KIT, the CAESAR KIT, and these are updated every year so I have the current ones inseason. I also have the AQUA & SAPONE KIT (ZEBRA STRIPES) plus the TIGER STRIPE ONE.

With the bike kit, I also have the two bikes (SAECO and The AQUA & SAPONE bike). Then comes the socks, winter jackets, gloves, polo shirts, dress shirts from both teams.

It gives me a sense of belonging, even if I had to buy them. I also race with the full team kit as well! And I recently purchased the Mario Cipollini WORLD CHAMPION KIT complete with the WORLD CHAMPION rudy project glasses!

Originally posted by Martinp
Being in such a hurry to miss the joke completely and posting a second no.13 "dorkism"

I get the 'joke', its just not funny.

So what if people have a mirror, or tuck their jerseys in? what are you guys the cycling fascists?

I guess its just hard when you're the kingshit of everything.

Originally posted by JamesO

So what if people have a mirror, or tuck their jerseys in? what are you guys the cycling fascists?

Nah man, everyone here has small dicks and big ego's.

I'd rather be relaxing in a small boat on the water, than have a big boat parked in my yard! ;)

cheers!

Originally posted by JamesO

Oh, JamesO.....relax, lighten up, take some time off, learn to laugh with, and at various situations. Also learn that it's ok to be laughed at.....

oh and yep, it is hard when you're the kings**t of everything.

Originally posted by Super Mario
I'm a number 2 Dork! I have the full sarco team kit, the RED ONE, the BLACK LIGHTNING KIT, the CAESAR KIT, and these are updated every year so I have the current ones inseason. I also have the AQUA & SAPONE KIT (ZEBRA STRIPES) plus the TIGER STRIPE ONE.

With the bike kit, I also have the two bikes (SAECO and The AQUA & SAPONE bike). Then comes the socks, winter jackets, gloves, polo shirts, dress shirts from both teams.

It gives me a sense of belonging, even if I had to buy them. I also race with the full team kit as well! And I recently purchased the Mario Cipollini WORLD CHAMPION KIT complete with the WORLD CHAMPION rudy project glasses!

heh, poser alert :D

I know I'm coming into this late, but:
Man, I thought I was doing alright until I hit no. 10! Guilty last weekend - once you get the chainring mark, it's a bit hard to move until you hit the showers.

Is anyone here NOT a cycling dork? That's a tough set of criteria!

One thing that screams DORK to me is aero/TT bars. (Harsh on triathletes ;) )

Hmm, my dork-ness:

#2 .. I ride with old pro team jerseys. Not for a fashion statement, but simply because ordering old season jerseys from the UK ends up significantly cheaper than buying even plain jerseys locally.

#8 .. shaving legs, meh

Dorkism..
1. It's an effort to shave my face, let alone my legs.
2. If white socks are good enough for Lance, they're good enough for me.
3. Sometimes you can't avoid chain marks.
4. If you take off your cycling shoes you going to need to walk around in your (white?) socks.
5. If you don't wear a pro team jersey, there isn't a lot else to choose from..anyway that's part of the fun...
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.