Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by halfmutt
Just caught up on the last 15 pages of this forum. It's a damn shame I'll never see those 20 min. again. Guess that makes me the real dork for pissing away time.

out

20 minutes to read 15 letters....

Do you need help with the big words?

Just kidding, you're right I get pretty wordy.

Fun tho.

Almost like long-distance touring, you learn that extra 15 minutes is worth it to relax and enjoy what you're doing & have some fun rather than rushing to beat your best time, beat someone else's time or beat a deadline. I know, I have to keep learning that one over and over myself. So easy to push...

And look at how much you've learned....

Time well wasted.

Cheers
Ln

Originally posted by Dee
I'm not missing the point; you are. You are saying that ONLY the predominating culture at the point in time that Memphmann happened to be born is appropriate. All others, before and after, are bogus, not the "real thing." YOUR ancestors changed what existed before they were there. Now you object to others merely doing what your ancestors did.

Because you are trying to exclude other so-called races (which is an illegitimate term; there are no "pure" strains - we're all descended from the same stock) from what you consider Canada's true culture. Why should the determinate of what is "true" be YOUR criteria? At what point in time is true culture determined? Culture is an ever-evolving phenomenon, just like language.

Of course not; let's not parade that straw man out just yet, Hallowe'en's two weeks away.

I have never said that ppl who were here before me do not belong. But I am 100 generation Canadian unlike so many others. I have the right to be here and b!tch. I have little problem i ppl move here, just as long as they leave their culture in their old country. Follow our rules, culture, etc. Why do they have the right or deserve the right to change our great culture. It is like making soup. Canada is the soup, if you add too many spices (immigrants), it shall be bad. Some spices do not mix well together.

This is my belief and I see it happening everyday. We were not meant to all live together happily. Fill a cage to full of rats.....

Memph

I'm new to this forum, but I have a question.

Do you ride a bike?

Would you like to talk about it?

That would be fun.

Ln

Originally posted by lou_n
I'm new to this forum, but I have a question.

Do you ride a bike?

Would you like to talk about it?

That would be fun.

Ln

Yes I ride a bike. Roughly 24-30 hours per week. This is a general forum, other threads have more bike related topics if that is what you desire. If this bothers you or too off topic, the please feel free not to read this thread......

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
Why do they have the right or deserve the right to change our great culture.

And what great culture would that be? The one where people from Asia migrated across the Bering Stait and formed small migratory social groups and hunted prehistoric roving herds with stone-age weapons?

Or are you saying that it was ok to change that great culture and allow several other great cultures (such as the Paleo, the Neolithic farming, and the Archaic) to form in succession, but that once Memphmann was born, great cultures should cease to develop?

I have little problem i ppl move here, just as long as they leave their culture in their old country.

Well, YOUR ancestors didn't leave their culture in the old country (Asia), did they? Well, did they?

We were not meant to all live together happily.

Not meant by whom?

Originally posted by Memphmann
Yes I ride a bike. Roughly 24-30 hours per week. This is a general forum, other threads have more bike related topics if that is what you desire.
Memph

Like it or don't he's right. This is, after all, The Bike Café, where all the off-topic posts should go. No matter that this thread is so far off the original thread it's off the forum altogether, it's in the right place. Rant on, everyone.

Originally posted by Dee
And what great culture would that be? The one where people from Asia migrated across the Bering Stait and formed small migratory social groups and hunted prehistoric roving herds with stone-age weapons?

Or are you saying that it was ok to change that great culture and allow several other great cultures (such as the Paleo, the Neolithic farming, and the Archaic) to form in succession, but that once Memphmann was born, great cultures should cease to develop?

Well, YOUR ancestors didn't leave their culture in the old country (Asia), did they? Well, did they?

Not meant by whom?

Why are you writing about stuff that I care little about? As I wrote earlier, could care less about immigrants from a thousand years ago, just within the last hundred. More so, the last 50.

Different cultures are different for a reason. Should not be mixed or violence could occur.

Then again, we are all rats in a cage for our Alien gods amusement....

Memph

Originally posted by Dee

Not meant by whom?

Another example of how ignorant immigrants attempt not to fit into our culture. My son just start pre-K and is the smartest in his class. Not because he is a genius, but because he is one of a handful of non-immigrants. The rest of these "abused" children have parents who speak English second at home. They speak their native tongue first. Why would they do this? Why be this stupid? Why put their children in this situation? This is Canada, learn to speak English.....

Memph

Originally posted by rollers
Like it or don't he's right. This is, after all, The Bike Café, where all the off-topic posts should go. No matter that this thread is so far off the original thread it's off the forum altogether, it's in the right place. Rant on, everyone.

You're right. I had assumed this was for off-topic but still-distantly-related-to-cycling stuff. I'm still fairly new to forums.

I re-read the homepage, and all it says is 'off-topic'. My mistake.

Well this thread certainly fits that description. And I can't disagree that it's a valid and controversial subject. Rant on, memph and company.

However....
I'm going to go to the 'Vintage Sears Lawnmower' user's group forum and start a thread under their Vintage Lawnmower Cafe about clipless vs. non-clipless pedals.

Long live freedom of speech.

Cheers
Ln

Originally posted by rollers

I actually skipped over the posts I hate to read. Wow! I am getting so much better at this ignoring thing. I love all these new posts which pertain to happier things!

To all the new folks on here...Glad to have you. To the non judgemental, non racist oldies, (meaning you have been here a while) Luv Ya...:D

Lou...You are the coolest dork I have ever read about.:D

Rollers..you are right! That's why i like this post. We can talk about anything and everything.:)

Originally posted by bleachtblond
I actually skipped over the posts I hate to read. Wow! I am getting so much better at this ignoring thing. I love all these new posts which pertain to happier things!

To all the new folks on here...Glad to have you. To the non judgemental, non racist oldies, (meaning you have been here a while) Luv Ya...:D

Lou...You are the coolest dork I have ever read about.:D

Rollers..you are right! That's why i like this post. We can talk about anything and everything.:)

Wow, you also hate like I do... :)

Memph

so memphman is proud of canadian culture.

well in the same spirit i, as english, am proud of our fine cuisine and dentistry.

next we'll have americans being proud of there countries international diplomacy and football (soccer) team.

get real canadia is a cultural desert. you should be grateful of anybody from around the world bringing a bit of culture to you flip top head, beady eye american wannabes.

;)

Lou is immune to dorkism as a Tourist, but I'm a roadie with with little pride and dorkism in my veins,

1. I've never used or owned a helmet mirror, though it would be very useful in races to save time looking during the sprint or break.

2. Pro clothes are comfortable and easy to find. I wear them so long as I remember to take them with me on the weekend. I race in casual if I forget my gear :eek: which is once every couple of months.

3. Not guilty about the old helmet.

4. I walk through the shops in cleates regularly.

5. I walk through the shops in my pants if I have to go to the shops following a race.

6. Never owned one, considering one for indoor training but otherwise no,

7. Never tucked my shirt in, silly idea.

8. I have the hairiest legs in my club, I hear riders talk about my legs during races. I may wax during summer but I appreciate the warmth and don't give a rats about the other riders talking during a race.

9. I am happier to hammer with A grade and be dropped in the second lap than to waste my time in a slow B Grade race. I wouldn't describe my attitude as hammering but everyone knows I push my limits.

10. Camelbacks are great to aviod reaching for you bottle in a pack. They allow you to accelerate while drinking. They do weigh a fair bit but my bike weighs 10kg so it's not that much.

10. a I hide my tatoos under the hair :p

Brian

Originally posted by jacobxray
so memphman is proud of canadian culture.

well in the same spirit i, as english, am proud of our fine cuisine and dentistry.

next we'll have americans being proud of there countries international diplomacy and football (soccer) team.

get real canadia is a cultural desert. you should be grateful of anybody from around the world bringing a bit of culture to you flip top head, beady eye american wannabes.

;)

I rather have Canada the way it use to be. When you could call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree and not insult immigrants. When French was taught as a second language, not English, etc. My country is going down the crapper because of immigrants....

Memph

" well in the same spirit i, as english, am proud of our fine cuisine and dentistry.

hehehehehehehhehehe

"next we'll have americans being proud of there countries international diplomacy and football (soccer) team."

hahahahahahahahah. And did you forget our high quality television productions such as Jerry Springer. Another reason to be proud.

" get real canadia is a cultural desert. you should be grateful of anybody from around the world bringing a bit of culture to you flip top head, beady eye american wannabes."

I've always said there's no peskier people alive than those damn canadians, except perhaps the Belgians. ;)

S

P.S. you brits never fail to make me chuckle, every time I read your posts, I hear the voice of John Cleese... I think he'd agree about the pesky Canadians.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Originally posted by Brizza
Lou is immune to dorkism as a Tourist, but I'm a roadie with with little pride and dorkism in my veins,

1. I've never used or owned a helmet mirror, though it would be very useful in races to save time looking during the sprint or break.

2. Pro clothes are comfortable and easy to find. I wear them so long as I remember to take them with me on the weekend.

3. Not guilty about the old helmet.

4. I walk through the shops in cleates regularly.

5. I walk through the shops in my pants if I have to go to the shops following a race.

6. Never owned one, considering one for indoor training but otherwise no,

7. Never tucked my shirt in, silly idea.

8. I have the hairiest legs in my club, I hear riders talk about my legs during races. I may wax during summer but I appreciate the warmth and don't give a rats about the other riders talking during a race.

9. I am happier to hammer with A grade and be dropped in the second lap than to waste my time in a slow B Grade race. I wouldn't describe my attitude as hammering but everyone knows I push my limits.

10. Camelbacks are great to aviod reaching for you bottle in a pack. They allow you to accelerate while drinking. They do weigh a fair bit but my bike weighs 10kg so it's not that much.

10. a I hide my tatoos under the hair :p

Brian

Must be in some lame races if you are able to walk around shops afterwards. Most races I have been in, I was to exhausted afterwards to walk. How slow do you accelerate that you are able to drink while not breathing faster. Also why ruin a faster "A" race by being in it? Would you enjoy the experience better in a "B" race?

Memph

Originally posted by less'go
" well in the same spirit i, as english, am proud of our fine cuisine and dentistry.

hehehehehehehhehehe

"next we'll have americans being proud of there countries international diplomacy and football (soccer) team."

hahahahahahahahah. And did you forget our high quality television productions such as Jerry Springer. Another reason to be proud.

" get real canadia is a cultural desert. you should be grateful of anybody from around the world bringing a bit of culture to you flip top head, beady eye american wannabes."

I've always said there's no peskier people alive than those damn canadians, except perhaps the Belgians. ;)

S

P.S. you brits never fail to make me chuckle, every time I read your posts, I hear the voice of John Cleese... I think he'd agree about the pesky Canadians.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

We are great at saving both France and England from 2 WW's. Without us, both countries would be speaking German as a 1st language..... :)

Memph

Riding home can be a problem, walking in the shops isn't.

I find B full of sprinters who like a slow race and a fast finish.
A allows me to work hard during the race and aim/train for bigger and better.

Brian

Won't take the bait, pk, not feelling feisty today and it's a waste of breath on your ignorant and presumably underdeveloped mind.

Brizza, are you feeling feisty enough to give Memph grist for the mill?

S

Status
Not open for further replies.