Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by less'go
You cheeky Brits, I haven't laughed so much in ages (I know, I should get out more!).

you should try visiting britain, it's one long double entendre (spelling!?!). our hilarious toilet humour is world famous. we never do any work as we're too busy laughing at rude jokes. it's the truth.

Originally posted by Memphmann
Of course I rode my bike today, like everyday. From 4-8am, in the dark mostly with the temperature at 5C. Covered alittle over 100km. I do this so I can chase you all down and drop at will.... :)

Memph

Seecy: you willing to go for an early morning ride????

I can't. I must work this weekend. pffft. Thanks for asking though.

Who the hell has the right to say who´s a dork and who isn´t ? Didn´t we get enough of that **** at school ? You get a small minority thinking their cool and then sneering and laughing at their ' inferiors '. Grow up , cycling is for everybody , it´s not a lifestyle choice , only a sport / means of transport / way to keep fit for thousands of people all over the world .
" people love to feel superior , especially when their not "

Years ago , during the reign of Indurain , I saw a man out riding with his young son , both riding red bikes , Banesto kit , matching helmets . Is this man a dork or just a great father ? I know my opinion , and I still think it was a cute picture of fillial devotion .

Originally posted by el Inglés

i think you mean 'they're not',
have a feeling i am proving your point though by correcting your grammar ;)

, cycling is for everybody , it´s not a lifestyle choice , only a sport / means of transport / way to keep fit for thousands of people all over the world .

I agree with all you said- except one point. Cycling IS everything you said it is, but I think it also IS a lifestyle choice- and a damn fine one.
I try to cycle to work every day (total about 2 1/4 hrs)
or at min., do a 30k ride around my home, and on the worst day, at least 1hr very hard workout on the stationary bike. And it makes the entire rest of the day feel great.
Every day I ride, I have more energy, get more done, and can eat like a pig (gotta love that), and need less sleep.
That 1 to 2 hrs makes the entire rest of the day much better.

So I'd have to say it is a sport, is a means of transport, and is a way to keep fit- AND a lifestyle choice.
It isn't a reason to feel superior. (although I gotta admit to the occasional moment of that when I fly past all the drivers sitting alone in their cars, spewing pollutants and moving at a crawl along the highway.)

RE: the invention of the bicycle. Was it invented? You mean it wasn't always here?
Enjoy

Ln

I think In my oh so humble opinion, that the thread is tongue-in-cheeck, which is to say that most of us don't give a hoot what anyone else thinks of our cycling get-ups (except that the duct tape around my trousers seems to have Jacob in a dither).

Hell, read Lou's ode to his own dorkdom, or Brizza's personal account of breaking the rules... Essays that prove that the hardest of the hardcore riders don't analyze their look for one minute. They do what they have to do, they just want to ride.

It's a joke.

I think the real question is how do we manage to waste so much time posting and still pay the rent?

Sara

Originally posted by el Inglés
Who the hell has the right to say who´s a dork and who isn´t ? Didn´t we get enough of that **** at school ? You get a small minority thinking their cool and then sneering and laughing at their ' inferiors '. Grow up , cycling is for everybody , it´s not a lifestyle choice , only a sport / means of transport / way to keep fit for thousands of people all over the world .

Years ago , during the reign of Indurain , I saw a man out riding with his young son , both riding red bikes , Banesto kit , matching helmets . Is this man a dork or just a great father ? I know my opinion , and I still think it was a cute picture of fillial devotion .

Originally posted by Chesapeake Boy
Here it is all, pay close attention. Previously this individual has touted his native indian heritage and how white immigrants detroyed everything (which I can't disagree with the terrible things that white settlers did) but look at his above quote. It reads to me that he doesn't claim the indian heritage for his son... of course his son may not be biological... It is quite amusing how the wind blows...

On a cycling note. Can someone please provide me with 2 things. The original intent of the bicycle.....was it easy economical transportation, or was it racing. Secondly, accordign to the internationl cycling handbook, what is the official time requirement for the time one is on a bicycle for it to officially fall into the classification of a "ride"

the first bike was the wheel with absolutely no purpose except to excite men who stood around it while it lay on its side. Next, they stood it on edge and suffered bruised toes until they gained control and watched in roll away. It took several thousand years to rediscover it and by that time several guys had been walking about with axles and frames sans wheels. When combined they had either a barrow or a pedalless bike without a seat. Seems like forever it was a man's absurd toy cause there's no history of a side selle for the ladies.
A ride? Remember when you learned and mom or dad let go of the seat and you continued on not knowing it was only you? That's a ride. Everything else id the fluff that comes with age. Eventually we all end up with son or daaughter holding onto our seats so we can re-experience the wind in our ninety year old faces. See, the wheel goes round and round but the ride is never really over.

Originally posted by chow

A ride? Remember when you learned and mom or dad let go of the seat and you continued on not knowing it was only you? That's a ride. Everything else id the fluff that comes with age. Eventually we all end up with son or daaughter holding onto our seats so we can re-experience the wind in our ninety year old faces. See, the wheel goes round and round but the ride is never really over.

Chow, alors ça, c'est très beau... rien à dire.

Sara

That means what he said is very beautiful, and I have nothing to add to that thought.

I really do like what he said. It's the pure joy of riding the bike that defines a ride!

Jacob, have you gone and done something completely nuts like actually working this afternoon?

That's crazy, man.

Have a nice weekend.

S

Fortunately, we're being humorous here since cycling isn't about fashion. It's not about style or mirrors, tucked or untucked. It's about riding and being more fit that the average flab-covered sports spectator.
Wear your team jersey or your oldest Haines T-shirt. Smear your leg with grease or shave it smooth. Mount a light or a mirror or whatever best helps you to avoid being the hood ornament for the next passing motorist more intent on piloting his or her cell phone than the 2-ton bullet they ride in.
Just ride and smile
:D

Originally posted by less'go
Chow, alors ça, c'est très beau... rien à dire.

Sara

Sara. Sil vous etes en Paris, ou est le mont de 13 km?
Direction Versailles?

Originally posted by jacobxray
just got back from a lousy spinning . it was more like a dance class, up down back front smile etc. everybody say yoh! i looked good though in silver duct tape body suit (boy it's going to hurt when i take it off, yikes)

prefer it when they just say 'sprint like you being chased by racist canadians mother f**kers!"

Wouldn't be much of a chase. Hunt you down and **** you out in a heartbeat. How did you know I f!@ked your mother? She said she would take that to the grave.........

Memph

Originally posted by Chesapeake Boy
Here it is all, pay close attention. Previously this individual has touted his native indian heritage and how white immigrants detroyed everything (which I can't disagree with the terrible things that white settlers did) but look at his above quote. It reads to me that he doesn't claim the indian heritage for his son... of course his son may not be biological... It is quite amusing how the wind blows...

On a cycling note. Can someone please provide me with 2 things. The original intent of the bicycle.....was it easy economical transportation, or was it racing. Secondly, accordign to the internationl cycling handbook, what is the official time requirement for the time one is on a bicycle for it to officially fall into the classification of a "ride"

People do not see your background when they look at you, unless you are a purebred. Where did I ever state that I was a purebred Indian? We are white, with native in our background.

A ride is what-ever you wish it to be. For most of you weak riders, it can be 15 minutes.....

Memph

Originally posted by jacobxray
officially a ride involves lycra clothing otherwise it's just pretend. it's not really the length*, it's how tight your shorts are

*of ride, obviously

Only if the shorts are in size M or maybe L. XL shorts should never have been made. If your that fat, yuk......

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
How shocking!!! An american that can't speak French, or a 2nd langauge.....

Memph
The tail of this verbal repartee has done it. It has fully defined DORK. Damn, at a certain point even vulgarity and pure phillistinism becomes something of a pure bore. When you cut, cut with elegance. Graceful denigaration is so much more attractive than f@#ing dialogue that imparts nothing but plain sh#t. Don't abuse good vulgarity you'all(not all, but many).
Duct tape silver, my ass. Lycra wrapping anything but fine legs, my ass. Which is not too bad even if it's only me saying it.
Tape up, nylon up, get at @ 4:00am and follow M. Injun or not, he's really a good fellow. It's just the Canada thing (where at least some folks are bi-lingual - Oui?). Short days, long summer nights that glow till 11 PM. The Paris lady knows those nights.
Mid west USA? Duck the tornado! Spinning on a machine, Yoiks!
How drole (and not the French drole)
Sounding absurd? Read over the string or whatever it's called.
If ya can't cut well, don't cut.
Keep hunting memph!

Yep, I'm definately the dork that dropped you while you were trying to suck my wheel on the last ride. Then again, maybe I do have a rood reason to be wearing that jersey :p

Originally posted by chow
Sara. Sil vous etes en Paris, ou est le mont de 13 km?
Direction Versailles?

Paris est plein, plein plein de côtes, de grosses montées bien raides... J'habite en bas d'une colline, et la montée doit faire 4 kilmetres si on l'attaque tout droit. Moi j'ai fait un peu le tour par des petites routes, alors j'ai dû en fair 6-7 km en grimpant. Le reste c'était le retour!

Ciao Chow!

P.S. Tu es au Canada?

Translation: Paris is full of hills, nice steep climbs, I live at the bottom of a big hill, if you go straight up it's about 4 km, so I go the winding way and it's about 6-7. The rest was the return ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.