Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw a cycling dork with his shorts tucked into his leg warmers. It looked like he was wearing a diaper/nappy.

White socks....cause I hate black.
Chain mark every once in a while.
Camel Back....but I only ride mtb.
Will never shave my legs, only way to look like I have some color on my legs, and they see the sun everyday.

Oh Well I am a DORK!

But I don't care...Just want to ride and be free.

It would appear that "Dorkism" has reached epidemic proportions and that most cyclists exibit some of the symptoms.
Perhaps it's those that claim to be non-dorks that really are the dorks because of their standout behaviour.... this would mean that the dorks are in fact the normal ones :D:D:D.

Dorkism does in fact require a reasonable amount of dedication and expense to maintain.... Geeez I can't even afford diaper shorts let alone ones in team colours... and a camelback... sigh... one day maybe.

Wannabe Dork

Originally posted by Memphmann
How do you ride without diaper shorts?????

Memph

Tough @$$ I guess. :D

In fact with the cost of the "dorkism" equipment you would be justified in thinking dorkism is a little bit elitist.

I might be a dork... but I'm a good looking dork. So there. I don't have any of the above paraphernalia to be a dork, but I feel it sometimes. Does that count?

Sigh, this thread, needs my help.

Since when does wearing cycling shorts make you a dork? The act of being afraid of them is truly dorkism. By taking off your cycling shorts you're saying "I don't really like to cycle, I just do it for..."

And the pro-team apparel, I think there's a huge exception to that rule. Wearing little-known or less-known pro teams is hugely stylish. But, don't wear them at races. That's dorkish.

And with the cleats, I don't see why thats dorkish at all. But it's not stylish either.

I have blessed you all with the knowledge of Style Man.

Okay I have the best one. One time just for fun I showed up to the local friday night track races wearing baggy mountain bike shorts a pay ride t-shirt and using a skate helmet. People thought I was a dork, stupid, wierd, ect... Especially when I got first place in the omnium!

Originally posted by Seecyd
I might be a dork... but I'm a good looking dork. So there. I don't have any of the above paraphernalia to be a dork, but I feel it sometimes. Does that count?

Here I was thinking that you were modest :) Now you are telling everyone that you are good looking.......

Memph

actually she is :)

I told you I'm a normal looking person. I don't have anything growing out the side of my neck... LOL good-looking dork is kind of an oxymoron, non? ---wait.... any good-looking dorks out there?

Here I was thinking that you were modest :) Now you are telling everyone that you are good looking.......

Memph

actually she is :)

Ok question -- why are mirrors a sign of dorkism? I can understand the ones on the helmets... but in general if they are going to save your life... what's so dorky about that?

Originally posted by Seecyd
Ok question -- why are mirrors a sign of dorkism? I can understand the ones on the helmets... but in general if they are going to save your life... what's so dorky about that?

This s why I think a mirror is a sign of a dork. Why would you really need one on a bike? There are no blind spots, as long as you look behind you. Unless you can not ride in a straight line with your head turned. Plus I do not want to see that truck going to hit me in my mirror. Just let it hit me.......

Memph

Note:1) must remember to let Memphmann ride behind her as he will be closer to oncoming truck 2) remember to remove mirror beforehand. [just kidding] I'm not a seasoned rider yet, and almost wiped out the first time I turned around to check behind me. ==sign of dorkism?= I'm getting better at it.

This s why I think a mirror is a sign of a dork. Why would you really need one on a bike? There are no blind spots, as long as you look behind you. Unless you can not ride in a straight line with your head turned. Plus I do not want to see that truck going to hit me in my mirror. Just let it hit me.......

Memph

Looking behind you can be really difficult on a recumbent... I just go by sound... if I don't hear screeching brakes or crashing noises I know the way was clear:D

what does RAAM stand for?

"10. ROADIES w/ Camelbacks. Ummmmmm.. no..Acceptable only for RAAM riders and MTB, if you must."

It's not dorky enough if it isn't full of fungus in the bite valve.

Maybe should be a special "squirreldork" category for those of us who have mirrors so we don't have to turn our heads and camelbaks so we don't have to reach for bottles and flat handlebars so we aren't looking down so much. Whatever it takes to be riding !

Status
Not open for further replies.