Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm.... Why did my post go here? Is that a cycling dork thing to post in the wrong news group??? :)

my 8 yr old daughter rides a 2003 specialized hot rock, (off road ) wears a postie team jersey, ( idolizes lance & wants to be first woman to win tour de (day, Bob Roll) france, She can tell you his gearing, and knows what a bottom bracket of quality is. If that makes her a dork, she'll race you uphill, off road, backwards on 2 flat tires and half her brain tied behind her back. Clothing does not make the cycliest. The love of cycling does and the honor among the real riders such as lance, tyler, jan and for the gals alisan dunlap. So quit bashing those that choose the way they want, get on your bike and wear out some parts. My wife rides a 2003 full suspension marin that she wore out front & rear deraillers and bottom bracket in 1000 miles in 2 mths. She rides in team and other clothing on and off road. who cares??? it's about the ride. I ride a 2003 cannodale jekyll. I ride in what ever I want and have worn out all most everything. Have you even wore out a set of tires yet??

hey webfoot,

who are you actually talking too. the original poster actually quoted that dork thing from another place.

don't take the post so personally, it's meant to be a positive article, helping those who CARE, how not to be dorkish. it's not really meant to ridicule. If you don't care about those things don't worry about it.

I also like the look of pro clothing, some designs are heaps cool. Euslkatel is my favourite though it prob hurts some people's eyes. i'm sticking to non pro for the moment though.

cheers

Originally posted by webfoot
my 8 yr old daughter rides a 2003 specialized hot rock, (off road ) wears a postie team jersey, ( idolizes lance & wants to be first woman to win tour de (day, Bob Roll) france, She can tell you his gearing, and knows what a bottom bracket of quality is. If that makes her a dork, she'll race you uphill, off road, backwards on 2 flat tires and half her brain tied behind her back. Clothing does not make the cycliest. The love of cycling does and the honor among the real riders such as lance, tyler, jan and for the gals alisan dunlap. So quit bashing those that choose the way they want, get on your bike and wear out some parts. My wife rides a 2003 full suspension marin that she wore out front & rear deraillers and bottom bracket in 1000 miles in 2 mths. She rides in team and other clothing on and off road. who cares??? it's about the ride. I ride a 2003 cannodale jekyll. I ride in what ever I want and have worn out all most everything. Have you even wore out a set of tires yet??

Hello, first off it is "cyclist". Next what kind of cheap equipment do you use that wears out that quickly? Maybe purchase better equipment. I have over 25 000km on my 2nd generation STI Shimano Dura-Ace wih no problems. Just a snapped chain because of the mountains (6-8 miles, 7-9%) I use to ride. Stop purchasing bike equipment at Wal-Mart and you should get better use out of it. Or maybe maintain it by cleaning.....

Memph

Yea I think he didn't relase that we are already on page 10... I think that was one of my first mistakes when I joined cyclingforums too!

Memph, since the post is talking about ATB it is possible to tear up a drivetrain in a few K miles. Depends on weather and if it is muddy/sandy and such...

Also if you are going 20KKm on the same chain you deserve to have it snap when you torque it in the mountains!

Duraace cassettes are rated for 6000miles not 12000 miles... You are very likely to snap a chain because you have worn out gears that are applying tension to the worn out chain at different levels of stress depending upon which gear is more (or less) worn... This probably happened when climbing because you tend to use the lower gears (or the end gears both ways) less than the middle ones.

Hey I was thinking is it dorky to ride a dirty road bike or a clean mountain bike?

I guess I'll also add is it dorky to ride components 2x times their expected lifecycle?

Sorry for the prod Memph... Left yourself open for that one :)

Originally posted by prestonjb
Memph, since the post is talking about ATB it is possible to tear up a drivetrain in a few K miles. Depends on weather and if it is muddy/sandy and such...

Also if you are going 20KKm on the same chain you deserve to have it snap when you torque it in the mountains!

Duraace cassettes are rated for 6000miles not 12000 miles... You are very likely to snap a chain because you have worn out gears that are applying tension to the worn out chain at different levels of stress depending upon which gear is more (or less) worn... This probably happened when climbing because you tend to use the lower gears (or the end gears both ways) less than the middle ones.

Hey I was thinking is it dorky to ride a dirty road bike or a clean mountain bike?

I guess I'll also add is it dorky to ride components 2x times their expected lifecycle?

Sorry for the prod Memph... Left yourself open for that one :)

Yes you are correct in that ATB is different then road, as such parts wear differently.

As for my parts, my chain snapped with very little usage. All the km/miles were put on afterwards. Can care a rats **** about how long my Dura-Ace is suppose to last. I take care of my entire bike. Strip down after each rain ride. Basically baby my bike better then most. Sure I abuse it on my rides. Probably why I have gotten great life out of my groupo. Thanx for letting me know that I have doubled the life. Going for triple next.......

The only reason that I might change my gears this off season, is to go from 8spd to 10spd. Just have to replace front shifter, chain, and cassette......

Memph

Originally posted by Memphmann
Yes you are correct in that ATB is different then road, as such parts wear differently.

As for my parts, my chain snapped with very little usage. All the km/miles were put on afterwards. Can care a rats **** about how long my Dura-Ace is suppose to last. I take care of my entire bike. Strip down after each rain ride. Basically baby my bike better then most. Sure I abuse it on my rides. Probably why I have gotten great life out of my groupo. Thanx for letting me know that I have doubled the life. Going for triple next.......

The only reason that I might change my gears this off season, is to go from 8spd to 10spd. Just have to replace front shifter, chain, and cassette......

Memph

I'm starting a new thread. "Are You a Cycling Jerk?"

If you agree with Memph you are.

Originally posted by blowin mud
I'm starting a new thread. "Are You a Cycling Jerk?"

If you agree with Memph you are.

Agree with what? That if you pay big $$ for parts that if taken care of, should last. Sorry that I can purchase these parts and know how to take care of them.

Guess I'm a jerk.....

Memph

Originally posted by M2cycler
hey webfoot,

who are you actually talking too. the original poster actually quoted that dork thing from another place.

don't take the post so personally, it's meant to be a positive article, helping those who CARE, how not to be dorkish. it's not really meant to ridicule. If you don't care about those things don't worry about it.

I also like the look of pro clothing, some designs are heaps cool. Euslkatel is my favourite though it prob hurts some people's eyes. i'm sticking to non pro for the moment though.

cheers
you are right, took it too personal. have fun and ride

Hello, first off it is "cyclist". Next what kind of cheap equipment do you use that wears out that quickly? Maybe purchase better equipment. I have over 25 000km on my 2nd generation STI Shimano Dura-Ace wih no problems. Just a snapped chain because of the mountains (6-8 miles, 7-9%) I use to ride. Stop purchasing bike equipment at Wal-Mart and you should get better use out of it. Or maybe maintain it by cleaning.....

Memph
in reply, we do not use wally world ****. our 1500. dollar bikes came with truvativ junk. we have upgraded everything on all our bikes to shimano xt and have had no problems what so ever. as for your second statement, we maintain our equipment daily. we have all the tools and all the equipment. I have had no problems with our maintainance. Get picky on spell check. I have bought a haro that was new and the headset was loose. I have bought a cannondale new and it would not shift smoothly in the middle 2-3 sprockets on the cassette. I have bought a new Marin with the same problem. I had bought a road nishiki new with bent forks. all problems were corrected by us and our detailed maint. program.so bike shops sell bikes. the rider makes them right. blaming a snapped chain on 6-8 mile semi steep grade instead of faulty equipment?? hum. Ride in s. az with us in the bibee mtns daily and you'll see. the importance of quality. Thanks for the advice but what I hear is you are here to say you are perfect ( except for breaking parts ) and nobody else can voice their opinion on the nonsence people like you come up with . Remember, its about the ride. Use your aggression on crappy car drivers not fellow cycliest.

in reply, we do not use wally world ****. our 1500. dollar bikes came with truvativ junk. we have upgraded everything on all our bikes to shimano xt and have had no problems what so ever. as for your second statement, we maintain our equipment daily. we have all the tools and all the equipment. I have had no problems with our maintainance. Get picky on spell check. I have bought a haro that was new and the headset was loose. I have bought a cannondale new and it would not shift smoothly in the middle 2-3 sprockets on the cassette. I have bought a new Marin with the same problem. I had bought a road nishiki new with bent forks. all problems were corrected by us and our detailed maint. program.so bike shops sell bikes. the rider makes them right. blaming a snapped chain on 6-8 mile semi steep grade instead of faulty equipment?? hum. Ride in s. az with us in the bibee mtns daily and you'll see. the importance of quality. Thanks for the advice but what I hear is you are here to say you are perfect ( except for breaking parts ) and nobody else can voice their opinion on the nonsence people like you come up with . Remember, its about the ride. Use your aggression on crappy car drivers not fellow cycliest.

Great to know that you are maintaining your equipment. That is what seperates the average cyclist from one that really wants to ride. Sorry that your bikes came with cheaper groupo. You seemed to have repaired that.

I am in no means perfect. Never stated that I was. Thanx for thinking that I am. Was just lucky with the cutom frame and groupo that I got. I realize that we all do not get the same luck.

As for hills, am sure you have some nice climbs. I use to train in the Rocky's. Those were some knee killers. Nothing like starting a climb and thinking, "Heck I still have 1/2 hour of climbing left".

Lets just leave it at that you are proud to destroy your equipment, and I am proud to mainatain mine. Each to their own......

Memph

Great to know that you are maintaining your equipment. That is what seperates the average cyclist from one that really wants to ride. Sorry that your bikes came with cheaper groupo. You seemed to have repaired that.

I am in no means perfect. Never stated that I was. Thanx for thinking that I am. Was just lucky with the cutom frame and groupo that I got. I realize that we all do not get the same luck.

As for hills, am sure you have some nice climbs. I use to train in the Rocky's. Those were some knee killers. Nothing like starting a climb and thinking, "Heck I still have 1/2 hour of climbing left".

Lets just leave it at that you are proud to destroy your equipment, and I am proud to mainatain mine. Each to their own......

Memph
am by no means proud to destroy my equipment. work to hard for it and take excellant care of it. if it is cheap to start with and wears out is that proud to destroy it. seems you should direct your comments to the bike shops, as I have as well as the manufactures. anyway, love doing big all day hills then seeing another turn going up even further. I loose a lot of riding buddies on these hills, not so much pulling away but I actually get an endorphine high of seeing another uphill turn to conquer. It's like a muliti day ride in 1 day. Dont think it's luck on groups and parts as much as a scam by the companies. they offer disc brakes and to componsate put a 29.00 dollar crankset and 15.00 dollar bottom bracket. or come with an xt rear derailler and an alivivio front. **** with decent to keep their cost down. I firmly belive one has to go all out or you will sacrafise something to get something. and then it is up to you to fork out the $$$ for what makes it right. Ideally , on my next bike I am going to just get the frame and do the rest myself. I will save money by getting what I want from the start. Thank god price point is around. wish they carried some bontrager parts too. it's about the ride. hang in there man, thanks for your thoughts.

you guys are to much. glad to make your aquaintence. you sound like you would be a heck of a lot of fun to ride with. your chat makes me laugh and that doesnt happen in this ol frogs life much ( not french ) keep em coming. the dork / jerk of the week goes to a guy I saw yesterday on one of our local bile trails. single speed, tassles on handle bars, no shirt, piecrings / w chins from nose to ears, smoking a cig with high riser, ( highhh ) bars. a mirror on the bars and he was talking on a cell phone. Now if he had a postie jersy he would of been cool. ( not )

am by no means proud to destroy my equipment. work to hard for it and take excellant care of it. if it is cheap to start with and wears out is that proud to destroy it. seems you should direct your comments to the bike shops, as I have as well as the manufactures. anyway, love doing big all day hills then seeing another turn going up even further. I loose a lot of riding buddies on these hills, not so much pulling away but I actually get an endorphine high of seeing another uphill turn to conquer. It's like a muliti day ride in 1 day. Dont think it's luck on groups and parts as much as a scam by the companies. they offer disc brakes and to componsate put a 29.00 dollar crankset and 15.00 dollar bottom bracket. or come with an xt rear derailler and an alivivio front. **** with decent to keep their cost down. I firmly belive one has to go all out or you will sacrafise something to get something. and then it is up to you to fork out the $$$ for what makes it right. Ideally , on my next bike I am going to just get the frame and do the rest myself. I will save money by getting what I want from the start. Thank god price point is around. wish they carried some bontrager parts too. it's about the ride. hang in there man, thanks for your thoughts.

What I meant by luck was my situation. Had sponsorship from a bike shop. So I had my frame designed and built, then chose the parts to go on. So I started off with a great bike. Well except for the paint job, which was repainted at uncles shop.

Have fun........

Memph

Well... I get 50,000 miles out of my gruppos - I uninstall and clean them in degreaser every day and replace them each year. You have to because of the climbs around here - 25% grades and 100 miles long - what with the sandstorms and all. I like to do 2-3 hill repeats on these each day and take Christmas and Easter as my rest days...

Memph... I think they mean chill a bit...

I too try to get the most out of my parts but it takes knowhow...

Simply cleaning the bike is no guarantee that the parts will last or that they need replacing. Sure you can make a DA casette last longer or you can run it longer than the expected life of 6Kmiles... But there are cavats...

1) Don't replace that chain... If your old chain were to break now you may be in for a surprise to find that your gears slip and chain-spin is the norm on those days you "abuse" your "ride"...

2) Use all of your gears fairly equally or NEVER use some of the gears at all... The gears will wear unevenly an the chain stretches to accomodate those that are most worn. If you do not use all the gears fairly often then some gears will be a lot less worn than others and the worn chain will begin to spin on those gears...

3) Praying for 3x life out of your components is the same a praying for a car to show up to carry you home when the components finally fail. Or better still for the ambulance to show up to carry you to the ER because you did a Lance fall and bounced into the passing car and smashed into the next car because your chain/pedal/fork/handlebar/crank broke.

In other words, I'll say it is dorkish not to replace parts when they are past their life and out of spec...

And I have 29 stiches and a cracked cheek to say this is so!

JBP

Originally posted by BugMan
Well... I get 50,000 miles out of my gruppos - I uninstall and clean them in degreaser every day and replace them each year. You have to because of the climbs around here - 25% grades and 100 miles long - what with the sandstorms and all. I like to do 2-3 hill repeats on these each day and take Christmas and Easter as my rest days...

That was the funniest post I have read so far. How dumb do you think we are? 100 miles of 25% grade, like impossible. Show me a paved road/hill that is 25%. Then add 100 mile straight up. You would be either climbing the arch of St. Louis or leaving the atmosphere. You must be "Rocket Boy". The Pros in the Alps climbed 9%.

Either this post was a joke and is funny. Or you are serious and that makes you ignorant....

Memph

Originally posted by prestonjb
Memph... I think they mean chill a bit...

I too try to get the most out of my parts but it takes knowhow...

Simply cleaning the bike is no guarantee that the parts will last or that they need replacing. Sure you can make a DA casette last longer or you can run it longer than the expected life of 6Kmiles... But there are cavats...

1) Don't replace that chain... If your old chain were to break now you may be in for a surprise to find that your gears slip and chain-spin is the norm on those days you "abuse" your "ride"...

2) Use all of your gears fairly equally or NEVER use some of the gears at all... The gears will wear unevenly an the chain stretches to accomodate those that are most worn. If you do not use all the gears fairly often then some gears will be a lot less worn than others and the worn chain will begin to spin on those gears...

3) Praying for 3x life out of your components is the same a praying for a car to show up to carry you home when the components finally fail. Or better still for the ambulance to show up to carry you to the ER because you did a Lance fall and bounced into the passing car and smashed into the next car because your chain/pedal/fork/handlebar/crank broke.

In other words, I'll say it is dorkish not to replace parts when they are past their life and out of spec...

And I have 29 stiches and a cracked cheek to say this is so!

JBP

Thank-you for the concern. But I have a rule, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Those given distances are just like everything else. A way for a company to scare you and make more money off you. The same is done in the auto industry. So is done in the bike area also. Sure if I had sponsorship again and could get parts below cost, they would be replaced more often. Also would be abused worse because of more racing over training. As of the moment, my equipment works perfectly. So shall ride for awhile longer.......

Memph

Status
Not open for further replies.