Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
as soon as my sprockets start to look like sharks teeth, I change them and the chain. I may be wasting money, but I never walk home.my family is so into bikes we buy upgrades instead of game boys, how many 8 yr old girls can tell you the size of their bottom bracket, the height of their frame or the head angle of 3 different bikes brands in the house. we dont try to get xtra miles on a component package, just like we wont drive on bald tires or not have a spare. of course, we quit driving cars this year and totally bike, sometimes with trailers for errands etc. using something past its mechanical life span is not recommended by any means. would you put a new 350 hp motor in to a vechicle with a 15 yr old tranny. parts like to be the same age and wear best when they are. . and for the 25% grade for 100 miles??? Im a hill junkie and traveled to 48 states and 23 countries and have not seen the beast you speak of. Even the germans and spanish who climb really well dont have said beast available. As for your sponsorship, custom frame and your choice components, I AM JEALOUS> MY next bike will be so... Am really impressed with lemonds bikes at their web sites, even though the frames arent made just for me, they seem pretty awesome..

Don't be jealous. That was ten years ago and not pro. Had five knee operations in 1 1/2 years. The only thing I have from that period besides memories are my bikes.

As for your statement about 350hp engines and tranys. Friend has a '79 T-A that he put a LT1 350, 424hp from rear wheels to his stock turbo 350 trany. The trany was 20 years old, he installed the engine back in 2000. He has drag raced it, put 25 000km on the new engine. Not a complaint from either the engine or trany. So yes you can add old trany to new engine. As I said why fix if it ain't broke. Like my car, should have only gotten 120 000km out of my clutch and trany. But got 250 000, then replaced it with better than factory parts. The same goes for my bike. I care for it and it cares for me. Never had to walk home yet.

I envy you for not driving. I could not ever do that. Would miss my ride to much......

Memph

Memph... You are so wrong dude...

I don't care too what a company posts because it is usually conservative...

However I ride 8000 miles a year and I know what chain slipping is and I don't like it. I'd rather buy a few extra chains and cassettes (when on sale) and enjoy my fast hard rides than to spend an entire day trying to take it easy on a certain gear to keep it from slipping during the ride. Been there done that and it sucks... You promoting it is dumb too and I'll just stick on topic and say that to do so is a Memph-ism... Or as the topic goes... "That of a cycling dork."

Of course you are describing the opposite but equally dorky trend to keep the bike too-clean and too "new"...

Then perhaps you think I'm a cycling dork because I know when to change parts and how to be my own mechanic and so forth...

Enough on this... Hope you don't have to wait too long on the side of the road...

JBP

Originally posted by prestonjb
Memph... You are so wrong dude...

I don't care too what a company posts because it is usually conservative...

However I ride 8000 miles a year and I know what chain slipping is and I don't like it. I'd rather buy a few extra chains and cassettes (when on sale) and enjoy my fast hard rides than to spend an entire day trying to take it easy on a certain gear to keep it from slipping during the ride. Been there done that and it sucks... You promoting it is dumb too and I'll just stick on topic and say that to do so is a Memph-ism... Or as the topic goes... "That of a cycling dork."

Of course you are describing the opposite but equally dorky trend to keep the bike too-clean and too "new"...

Then perhaps you think I'm a cycling dork because I know when to change parts and how to be my own mechanic and so forth...

Enough on this... Hope you don't have to wait too long on the side of the road...

JBP

Sorry guess your opinion is correct and mine is wrong. Also you must be following me on my rides to notice my chain slipping. Oh ya, my chain does not slip. So why change something that is not broke? Oh ya, because you the cycling god said so.

We all ride differently and change what we like when we like. Am not promoting not to keep your bike in geat shape. This can be done by proper care. I ride my bike hard, in sun and rain. Use every gear, shift more times then I care to think about. My bike rides smoothly. So why would I waste $$ right now on replacing what does not need replacing. If your bikes equipment needs replacing, then replace away. Mine does not, so stop telling me that mine does..

A dork is someone that forces their opinion down others throats and wastes money......

Memph

Well I tried to play neutral but you are still swinging...

Ok pokeymon here goes...

Proper care is replacing parts at proper time...

So speakith the god of cycling. So it is said so shall it be done...

Enjoy YOUR life on the side of the road. I'll enjoy not wasting my money on cab fare.

You would only have $$ for cab fare. As you don't have $$ for a vehicle as you waste it all on replacing equipment.

I shall never have to walk. My equipment is great. Have a cell phone and a vehicle. Thanx yet again for knowing the state of my equipment with out looking at it.

Oh ya, it is Pokemon....

Memph

Well I really shouldn't but whats not a flame without two people ;)

As you don't have $$ for a vehicle as you waste it all on replacing equipment.

Man you are still flying around on the Eagle from Space 1999! Where do you get that I replace parts weekly? I just replace them BEFORE they break. Not after they get their first scratch...

Have a cell phone and a vehicle.

So I guess your car is named "KIT"? That's the only way you could use a cell-phone to get your car to pick you up.

knowing the state of my equipment with out looking at it.

I don't have to see your bike... You said you are on the side of the road with the following words:

So why change something that is not broke?

So if you, Memp-kmon, waits until the part breaks, then it seems logical to people of intellegence that it breaks while you are on the road on your bike and therfore you are on the side of the road with phone in hand <and perhaps something else in the other hand> waiting for someone to drive your car to you...

It's not the bike, it's what you are saying...

I prefer to replace it before it breaks... But not before it is worn out. But you seem to not want me to say that...

/END FLAME MODE/

Well I really shouldn't but whats not a flame without two people ;)

Man you are still flying around on the Eagle from Space 1999! Where do you get that I replace parts weekly? I just replace them BEFORE they break. Not after they get their first scratch...

So I guess your car is named "KIT"? That's the only way you could use a cell-phone to get your car to pick you up.

I don't have to see your bike... You said you are on the side of the road with the following words:

So if you, Memp-kmon, waits until the part breaks, then it seems logical to people of intellegence that it breaks while you are on the road on your bike and therfore you are on the side of the road with phone in hand <and perhaps something else in the other hand> waiting for someone to drive your car to you...

It's not the bike, it's what you are saying...

I prefer to replace it before it breaks... But not before it is worn out. But you seem to not want me to say that...

/END FLAME MODE/

Having a battle of wits with you is like having a shoot-out with an unarmed man.

Once my equipment gets worn, I shall replace it. No sooner, no later.
Thanx for telling me how to think, act and care for my bike. Guess if I had a cheap frame and groupo. I would have to replace my equipment as much a you.

Ignorance once again my lad. It was "KITT"......

Memph

Originally posted by Vo2
Keep it going guys! It's starting to become really funny! :D

Your welcome. Once got told something: Winning an internet agruement is like winning at the "Special Olympics", your still a retard..

So I'm ending it here...

Memph

Having a battle of wits with you is like having a shoot-out with an unarmed man.

I think the rest of the folks are trying to figure out who has the gun...

Once my equipment gets worn, I shall replace it. No sooner, no later.

Then you are agreeing with me... If you read back I quoted that you said:

So why change something that is not broke?

And that is different.

Thanx for telling me how to think, act and care for my bike. Guess if I had a cheap frame and groupo. I would have to replace my equipment as much a you.

I think we are arguing the same point now that we are both converging to the point that we only replace stuff when it is worn out...

And to keep with the personal side of the attack, I never said I replace comonents often, to the contrary I said several times I only replace stuff when it needs replacing... However, until your next to last post, you disagreed with me on this...

So to conclude... How do you know what groupo I have? While you said DuraAce, I only said that DA cassettes are rated for 6kmiles... I never said that I use DA or any other groupo so I think you are picking nits to try to say I have a cheap groupo...

I'll say if you knew which groupo I ride then you would realize that your foot is stuck in your mouth... Just kiding...

Ignorance once again my lad. It was "KITT"......

"I'll buy that for a dollar"

I think the rest of the folks are trying to figure out who has the gun...

Then you are agreeing with me... If you read back I quoted that you said:

And that is different.

I think we are arguing the same point now that we are both converging to the point that we only replace stuff when it is worn out...

And to keep with the personal side of the attack, I never said I replace comonents often, to the contrary I said several times I only replace stuff when it needs replacing... However, until your next to last post, you disagreed with me on this...

So to conclude... How do you know what groupo I have? While you said DuraAce, I only said that DA cassettes are rated for 6kmiles... I never said that I use DA or any other groupo so I think you are picking nits to try to say I have a cheap groupo...

I'll say if you knew which groupo I ride then you would realize that your foot is stuck in your mouth... Just kiding...

"I'll buy that for a dollar"

You win the Gold Medal for continuing this senseless agruement. I get the Bronze for allowing it to continue. So lets just drop it....

Have a pleasant day nd may you have many great rides...

SEE YA,
Memph

Wow it is sad that I can not even remember what this thread started out as....haha as far as I can tell it is the Memph and Preston arguing forum...haha...j/k guys I dont know that I will shave my legs and if I find a cool team jersey you better believe that I will wear it....I have been a dork all my life so why change now?

Thanks for the gold for most sensless arguing. Yea we probably both coulda dropped it a while ago.

Many a great ride to you as well...

SEE YA
prestonjb

Hey, I think Memph and I showed that we can be cycling dorks when it comes to talking about cycling dorks!!!

:D

thanks prestonjb, am trying to teach family about prevenative maint. and care of pocessions. you hit the nail on the head. what is your opinion of lemond bikes??? am getting 3 road bikes also when we relocate to big island of hawaii in december. wife likes the marin, I like the lemond and trek, daughter likes the specialized.

Yes I can also be a dork, I guess.

What a different range of rode bikes your family is looking at. Good luck in making a choice....

Memph

Originally posted by Theresa Allain
I completely agree with #8----ALL men should shave their legs--it looks very sexy!!!

Thank-you for proving my point. Yet another female that enjoys when a man does the same as a women and shaves. If we expect women to do it, then we should do the same for them. If a man does not shave then it should be alright for his lady not to as well...

Memph

Status
Not open for further replies.