Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Memphmann
We are great at saving both France and England from 2 WW's. Without us, both countries would be speaking German as a 1st language..... :)

Memph

beady eyes, head so full of lies. :)

thankyou for bryan adams, alanais morissette, nickelback etc... do i need to go on. hopefully the immigrants will destroy canadian 'culture' before you inflict more of your musical genius on the world.

Originally posted by bleachtblond
I actually skipped over the posts I hate to read. Wow! I am getting so much better at this ignoring thing. I love all these new posts which pertain to happier things!

To all the new folks on here...Glad to have you. To the non judgemental, non racist oldies, (meaning you have been here a while) Luv Ya...:D

Lou...You are the coolest dork I have ever read about.:D

Rollers..you are right! That's why i like this post. We can talk about anything and everything.:)

Yes we can. Just read the enjoyable stuff and ignore the rest. It's like the morning comics, eh?

I rather have Canada the way it use to be. When you could call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree and not insult immigrants. When French was taught as a second language, not English, etc. My country is going down the crapper because of immigrants....

Memph

wouldn't it be better for you to preach this topic to people who care about it? The only people who come here to read posts do so because they're cyclists.

If you really think your opinion is worth putting into words then you should want to take it to someplace like misc.immigration.canada [yes, it really exists] and tell it to the subscribers there who presumably really care about this topic.

" Yes we can. Just read the enjoyable stuff and ignore the rest. It's like the morning comics, eh?"

True, true. And £I like the part where it's like everyday, there's a new contender, someone is in just the right mood to go up to bat against Mr. Personality... 'Till they realize it's futile.

I thought maybe it'd be Brizza today, but no, Bleached, you've already been there...

No takers? ;)

Originally posted by less'go
" Yes we can. Just read the enjoyable stuff and ignore the rest. It's like the morning comics, eh?"

True, true. And £I like the part where it's like everyday, there's a new contender, someone is in just the right mood to go up to bat against Mr. Personality... 'Till they realize it's futile.

I thought maybe it'd be Brizza today, but no, Bleached, you've already been there...

No takers? ;)

I am trying to be my positive self.:) Been there done that. Life's too short and beautiful.

Ok I'm in, but I'd really like to read responses to the original topic.

I'm in Australia so I'm a little detached from this Canda/US immigration debate.

I have lots of cultural friends and I apprecaite their friendship.

Change is inevitable, adapting is voluntary.

Brian

Originally posted by Brizza
Ok I'm in, but I'd really like to read responses to the original topic.

Brian

Same here. I refuse to give him 'grist for the mill' as our Paris friend so aptly put it, in part because I don't care to see these topics in this forum. They should be taken elsewhere. I also feel that he really has nothing valuable to contribute but inflammatory remarks and by refusing to provide fuel...

Why are you writing about stuff that I care little about?

Look, Einstein; if immigrants had never come in and changed your culture, you wouldn't have the things you refer to as your great culture, such as Christmas trees and bicycles. Get it?

So now, all of a sudden, culture shouldn't change anymore? Why? By what decree? Like it or not, culture describes a process of continual evolution.

As I wrote earlier, could care less about immigrants from a thousand years ago, just within the last hundred. More so, the last 50.

Just a note: the expression is "couldn't care less"; to say you could care less implies that it would be possible for you to care less than you care now, which means that you now care somewhat about immigrants from a thousand years ago.

END OF DISCUSSION!
can we all agree (bar one idiot) racism sucks. and is an excuse used by ignorant fools for the disappointment of how their lives turned out.
now the rest of you can get back to the burning issue of duct taping your arses.
enlightening stuff. :)

Memph/TC

I am a little disturbed by the way you think Memph. You know I understand that you are upset by certain things that take place here in Toronto and in Canada. But, you seem to put the blame on everyone "else".

When groups, majority or minority, move and immigrate to another country, and they are accepted, they usually begin melting into that society, keeping their traditions alive but in the privacy of their own homes. When they arrive and are immediately "shot down", they tend to go looking for others like them and thus the little "villages" are created. They feel safer within their litle societies and know that if they need help they will get it there.

I, for one, am a 1st generation immigrant. I only became a Canadian at the age of 18. And, am still a French National. I will always be. For 6 years I was a landed immigrant, and I was accepted and respected. Why? Because I looked white. Because I spoke 2 languages. Because I had superior education at my young age in comparison to others my age. But, what if I had had a little bit of a different look?

Yes, I look white but am of mixed race. Specifically, [white] Norwegian/Northern French, [hispanic] Portuguese, and [asian] Chinese.

I grew up in many other [non-white] countries, and was accepted much much more than in one of the [very white -- will not say the country's name so as not to offend anyone] countries I lived in for 2 years. That "very white" society had many many faults, the people were wonderful but not very accepting... why? Because of ignorance and fear?

Now there are certainly numerous behaviours, thought patterns, and "way of life" factors that are different from yours. I can understand that you don't like them regardless of their race...fine. And you could even "hate" some of your fellow non-immigrant 100% canadians... just go to Keswick and you might just find some of them. [no offence to Keswickians because some of my friends live there ROFL].

Violence happens because people take things personally and hang on to beliefs that they think are right. The clashes happen when two groups of different thoughts have to learn to live with each other and don't want to because they are stubborn. Multi-ethnicity does not necessarily lend itself solely to that conclusion. You see this in many majoritively "white" societies too. Ireland comes to mind.

Plus, I have seen quite a few non-immigrant Canadians who sit on their a$$e$, live off welfare, stink, and who generally also have a very low-standard level of life.

As I said before, what you give out, you get back. If you're going to gripe and gripe about this forever on, that is all you're ever going to see.

Why don't you think about what you can do to help all this instead of clinging on to your negative, self-serving, close-minded views.

Sorry, but this kind of negative pattern of thinking is totally unprogressive and downright destructive.

How about being a little more proactive and progressive?

CC

Originally posted by jacobxray
now the rest of you can get back to the burning issue of duct taping your arses.
enlightening stuff. :)

I can only agree with the first part of your post, however, this last part.... it ain't my **** I'm duct taping! It's the pants legs, so they don't get caught in the chain or elsewhere. I ride to work, to the store, etc., I find cycling clothes ridiculous (for my purposes, anyway), so I have to adapt.

Duct tape. Never be without it. It has saved the day for me in many a situation. Enlightening? Absolutely!

Cheers,
Sara

Originally posted by Brizza I'm just dying to see how the roadies treat me with my hairy legs, camelback, 26" wheels and 2" of front travel this weekend :eek:

I'm just dying to see how many races you actually win - unless you stick with the dork, citizen, newbie, field-of-5, special olympics, father-time category. That'll really be something to brag about!

Okay - I'm sorry - I don't mean to be mean! It's just that I hope you don't seriously believe that wearing a camelback in a road race will give you some tactical advantage that the roadies have managed not to discover! Instead, I hope your schtick is more about irreverence and having a good laugh about it - like the anthropology class assignment I had in college where I was supposed to dress totally out-of-character for a day and then observe the reactions of everyone around me.

Originally posted by less'go
I can only agree with the first part of your post, however, this last part.... it ain't my **** I'm duct taping! It's the pants legs, so they don't get caught in the chain or elsewhere. I ride to work, to the store, etc., I find cycling clothes ridiculous (for my purposes, anyway), so I have to adapt.

Duct tape. Never be without it. It has saved the day for me in many a situation. Enlightening? Absolutely!

Cheers,
Sara

i have proved my ignorance and feel ashamed.

i am off to an adolf ****** fancy dress ball later and have no moustache, think the amazing power of duct tape could save the day again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.