Are you a Cycling Dork?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by webfoot
come on now. I am managing a health club currently and my wife works at one. I actually am pool director/ front desk manager, and I have to say. Riding the newspaper reading recumbant, while sitting back watching the tube is not a ride. I watch folks on them all day and they may burn 5 calories if the newspaper is heavy. Know what you mean about the 60 plus crab. We both do it, we get our ride time to and the long way home from work. Good to talk bb. missed ya.
I don't read the paper when I ride the recumbant, I put headphones on. Here's my day today. I got up at 5 am. I washed laundry, cooked supper for my daughter, left the house at 6 Cleaned a docs office. I got back here at 11 am. Then I checked the lead boxes at 5 locations. Came back home and showered, then went to work. It is now 11: 30 PM. I am also a single Mom and sole provider. No husband to help. I have a teen in high school and college. I have recently gotten my triathlete boyfriend back. He lives 45 miles from me. After work on Saturday I drove back to his house and went hiking and camping with him.(my feet are killing me lol) I got up and went to work at the train station Sunday morning. Drive time to his house is not quick! Then I had to go to the train. Drive time 1 hour ten minutes mins each way,(not including to Richards) just to the train! Then the work itself!I wish there were 48 hours in a day. On top of that, I also have two houses I clean for elderly ladies (volunteer work). My house is a mess because I just didn't have time to nor the inclination to clean it. I am tired! Let's not forget that I work at the train station on Saturday AND Sunday. Up until about a month 1/2 ago I had more time to ride.:( My life has gotten so hectic! So, when during this day could I have ridden? Only at work on the recumbant.:( Like I said...better than nothing. Good to chat web missed ya 2!:)

Originally posted by Memphmann
Thanx, had a good two days of riding. Got caught in the rain on Saturday, and nearly froze. Sunday was cold but not wet.

Getting too cold, so not too many riders still out for me to chase down :( Waiting patiently for the spring and a new herd of fresh meat....

Memph

So what do you do when it's really winter? Here in central Calif it is never winter but, on occasion too much rain. Same at my rinky dink place in France. Never really your kind of winter but the wet stinks - especially in France where my hot water system is as sporadic as G>W> Bush's mind.
Again, check out Craft.com. incredibly effective winter stuff and not dorky at all.

Originally posted by Dee
What a difference. We rode part of the Natchez Trace yesterday down into Mississippi; it was 83 F (about 28 C). Rode through deer, wild turkey, cotton fields, and Indian mounds. Stopped to see where George Colbert (a Scot/Indian) charged Andrew Jackson $75,000 to ferry his troops across the Tennessee River in about 1810. Great ride.

We shall not see temperatures that high for a long while. The only good thing about this cold weather, is it seperates the die-hards from the posers. Guess their expensive bikes are afraid of the cold. Most are fat enough to stay warmer then me.....

Memph

Originally posted by bleachtblond
I don't read the paper when I ride the recumbant, I put headphones on. Here's my day today. I got up at 5 am. I washed laundry, cooked supper for my daughter, left the house at 6 Cleaned a docs office. I got back here at 11 am. Then I checked the lead boxes at 5 locations. Came back home and showered, then went to work. It is now 11: 30 PM. I am also a single Mom and sole provider. No husband to help. I have a teen in high school and college. I have recently gotten my triathlete boyfriend back. He lives 45 miles from me. After work on Saturday I drove back to his house and went hiking and camping with him.(my feet are killing me lol) I got up and went to work at the train station Sunday morning. Drive time to his house is not quick! Then I had to go to the train. Drive time 1 hour ten minutes mins each way,(not including to Richards) just to the train! Then the work itself!I wish there were 48 hours in a day. On top of that, I also have two houses I clean for elderly ladies (volunteer work). My house is a mess because I just didn't have time to nor the inclination to clean it. I am tired! Let's not forget that I work at the train station on Saturday AND Sunday. Up until about a month 1/2 ago I had more time to ride.:( My life has gotten so hectic! So, when during this day could I have ridden? Only at work on the recumbant.:( Like I said...better than nothing. Good to chat web missed ya 2!:)

There is always time to ride if you want. Could of skipped the camping/hiking trip. No think with your lower part. Do not have to work as much. Find a better paying job, so you can work less hours. I skip out on OT, or have missed days in order to get in a great ride. Wake up at 4am and ride in the dark. Just a matter of how bad you desire to ride. Oh ya, I also have a son.......

Memph

Originally posted by chow
So what do you do when it's really winter? Here in central Calif it is never winter but, on occasion too much rain. Same at my rinky dink place in France. Never really your kind of winter but the wet stinks - especially in France where my hot water system is as sporadic as G>W> Bush's mind.
Again, check out Craft.com. incredibly effective winter stuff and not dorky at all.

Depends on which part of Canada you live in. Back home in British Columbia, the temps hardly fell much colder then -10C, plus the roads where plowed well. Actually rode over 500 continuous days while out there.

Here in Toronto, the temps can get nasty cold. Well below -20C with bitter wind chills. I'll ride outside as long as possible, then use my wind trainer. There is an indoor riding spot aout 1/2 hour from me. Might check that out........

Memph

Originally posted by webfoot
zaskar, where abouts in az are ya? you riding dirt, street or both??

i live in tucson, for the last 3 yrs i was riding xc
felt like a change got a new rd bike been riding
street for 3 months, riding street i can ride alot
longer takes time to drive to trails. i see your
in az are you gonna ride the (el tour de tucson)
next month? have you ever?

as i've already said to less'go, it's stating the bleedin' obvious, but WE are all posting on an internet cycling forum. therefore we are all cycling dorks.:)

Originally posted by less'go
Must agree, if we weren't nerds, we'd have something better to do!

My post count is higher then most. Does that make me a dork on a higher level????

Memph

Originally posted by Chesapeake Boy
Here is another one... riding without a helmet!

This makes me think of the woman I saw out for a ride around her neighborhood today. She was perched atop a mtb which from the looks of it must have been missing it's seatpost binder bolt. Her cadence was well south of 20, and her helmet was positioned far enough back on her head it did more to protect the nape of her neck [and her hair-do] than it did her head.

There is always time to ride if you want. Could of skipped the camping/hiking trip. No think with your lower part. Do not have to work as much. Find a better paying job, so you can work less hours. I skip out on OT, or have missed days in order to get in a great ride. Wake up at 4am and ride in the dark. Just a matter of how bad you desire to ride. Oh ya, I also have a son.......

Memph
I wasn't talking to you...dont talk to me anymore. I wrote to web not you. Do me a favor don't reply to me and i will do you the same courtesy.

Originally posted by Dee
At least she was out there bicycling.

You have a point. I think she was riding because it is easier then walking. She wa wearing no helmet, just a large person on a straining bike....

Memph

Here's my day today. I got up at 5 am. I washed laundry, cooked supper for my daughter, left the house at 6 Cleaned a docs office. I got back here at 11 am. Then I checked the lead boxes at 5 locations. Came back home and showered, then went to work. It is now 11: 30 PM. I am also a single Mom and sole provider. No husband to help. I have a teen in high school and college. I have recently gotten my triathlete boyfriend back. He lives 45 miles from me. After work on Saturday I drove back to his house and went hiking and camping with him.(my feet are killing me lol) I got up and went to work at the train station Sunday morning. Drive time to his house is not quick! Then I had to go to the train. Drive time 1 hour ten minutes mins each way,(not including to Richards) just to the train! Then the work itself!I wish there were 48 hours in a day. On top of that, I also have two houses I clean for elderly ladies (volunteer work). My house is a mess because I just didn't have time to nor the inclination to clean it. I am tired! Let's not forget that I work at the train station on Saturday AND Sunday. Up until about a month 1/2 ago I had more time to ride.:( My life has gotten so hectic!

Hats off to you, blondie; that's one tough schedule. Makes me tired just to read it! How on earth do you have the energy to do all that? Makes a measly bike ride like mine seem like peanuts. What's your secret?

I wasn't talking to you...dont talk to me anymore. I wrote to web not you. Do me a favor don't reply to me and i will do you the same courtesy.

Of course you are repling to me. I was the one that brought up this topic. So any replies on this topic are aimed a me.

You can not ignore or not reply to me. I'm like a bad rash that you can't itch......

Memph

Originally posted by Dee
Hats off to you, blondie; that's one tough schedule. Makes me tired just to read it! How on earth do you have the energy to do all that? Makes a measly bike ride like mine seem like peanuts. What's your secret?
Thank you Dee. I truly do appreciate your courtesy. My secret is simple. Just do it... After that car wreck, I had to start over. I should have died but I didn't, so I assume I am here for a reason. I have to do what I need to do to survive. I don't make a lot of money but I like my jobs! That's a thnig we don't hear much. More important to me is to be happy , then to be rich. I have a great daughter and a dear sweet boyfriend. I am blessed...:)

Of course you are repling to me. I was the one that brought up this topic. So any replies on this topic are aimed a me.

You can not ignore or not reply to me. I'm like a bad rash that you can't itch......

Memph
I said don't talk to me

Status
Not open for further replies.